Sat May 08, 2021 12:14 pm

LeoFox wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 12:06 pm
Youzi wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 11:55 am
LeoFox wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 10:48 am
Gong chun pot is supposed to be wabi sabi i thought

Hahaha, I have to say I was pretty tea drunk last night on this nice rougui while writing some of that stuff above
Nowadays Gongchun is wabi Sabi, but if you look at it from a historical perspective and consider it's legend. It's more than likely just a sloppy teapot pot together by a novice who were trying to make something from local clay.
That sounds exactly like wabi sabi to me. The newer gong chun pots look pretty kitschy
Isn't wabi Sabi more like an art form, style of expression? The original Gongchun teapot was supposedly the first yixing shape, made by a young monk to be. ( forgot the English word for it) that's why it's still made, and the only wabi Sabi like yixing teapot shape, due to it's historical significance.

Would me making an yixing teapot (who have 0 experience making one before) be considered automatically as wabi Sabi, because I can't make teapots?
LeoFox

Sat May 08, 2021 12:24 pm

Youzi wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 12:14 pm
LeoFox wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 12:06 pm
Youzi wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 11:55 am
Nowadays Gongchun is wabi Sabi, but if you look at it from a historical perspective and consider it's legend. It's more than likely just a sloppy teapot pot together by a novice who were trying to make something from local clay.
That sounds exactly like wabi sabi to me. The newer gong chun pots look pretty kitschy
Isn't wabi Sabi more like an art form, style of expression? The original Gongchun teapot was supposedly the first yixing shape, made by a young monk to be. ( forgot the English word for it) that's why it's still made, and the only wabi Sabi like yixing teapot shape, due to it's historical significance.

Would me making an yixing teapot (who have 0 experience making one before) be considered automatically as wabi Sabi, because I can't make teapots?
Sure. Would love to see one made by you. :geek:
wave_code

Sat May 08, 2021 3:03 pm

I think every modern gong chun pot I've seen for me qualify as the perfect example of faking it and the over-styled disaster that occurs when someone attempts to intentionally achieve some sort of character out of crude or rough appearance rather than it being natural and intrinsic to the thing. before I had read the story about the origin of the original pot I figured it was a shaped pot like a jujube pot or pumpkin - I didn't know what it was supposed to be but guessed for some reason people wanted a pot that looked like a shriveled old potato from the back of the cupboard.
Youzi

Sat May 08, 2021 7:56 pm

wave_code wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 3:03 pm
I think every modern gong chun pot I've seen for me qualify as the perfect example of faking it and the over-styled disaster that occurs when someone attempts to intentionally achieve some sort of character out of crude or rough appearance rather than it being natural and intrinsic to the thing. before I had read the story about the origin of the original pot I figured it was a shaped pot like a jujube pot or pumpkin - I didn't know what it was supposed to be but guessed for some reason people wanted a pot that looked like a shriveled old potato from the back of the cupboard.
Exactly why there isn't any clastic wabi Sabi yixing shape. I hate all the gobgchun's too.
Bok
Vendor

Sat May 08, 2021 9:03 pm

Isn’t that gongchun pot a myth anyways? The original doesn’t exist anymore if it ever did. So all pots of that name are mere interpretations.
maple

Sat May 08, 2021 9:26 pm

Haha.. funny.. I think "Gongchun" should be wondering what you're discussing about.

About real Yixing Wabi Sabi - maybe we should reference "金士恆" . (There's a lot of fake copies in JP Yahoo could reference.)

The simple and/or sloppy og Gongchun is quiet different compare with Wabi sabi for me.
Btw there's different definition of Wabi Sabi in different ages and in different segment
Youzi

Sun May 09, 2021 4:15 am

Bok wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 9:03 pm
Isn’t that gongchun pot a myth anyways? The original doesn’t exist anymore if it ever did. So all pots of that name are mere interpretations.
Yes, the original doesn't exist. The only remaining example is an early reproduction as far as I know. Still haven't really seen a good Gongchun.
Youzi

Sun May 09, 2021 4:41 am

maple wrote:
About real Yixing Wabi Sabi - maybe we should reference "金士恆" . (There's a lot of fake copies in JP Yahoo could reference.)
Can you share some pictures? The ones I've seen doesn't seem that "wabi Sabi" to me, at least not like what I'd generally think of as wabi Sabi.
maple

Sun May 09, 2021 9:28 am

Youzi wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 4:41 am
maple wrote:
Can you share some pictures? The ones I've seen doesn't seem that "wabi Sabi" to me, at least not like what I'd generally think of as wabi Sabi.
https://www.xuehua.us/a/5eb5802086ec4d4 ... lang=zh-tw

Please reference this article.

This one, is sort of Wxxx Sxxx for me. (but not in strict definition.)
Mark-S

Fri May 14, 2021 8:21 pm

This is a decorated F1 teapot without ANY seal. So it's not impossible to find one. This pot could be from the 70's or 60's in my opinion. Some vendors sell this shape as 70's and some as 60's. :roll: I have a similar shape. Maybe from the late 70's or 80's. Pretty inexpensive... but I have not bought it because I don't like the shape that much. It's interesting though.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284286800359
steanze
Vendor

Fri May 14, 2021 8:32 pm

Mark-S wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 8:21 pm
This is a decorated F1 teapot without ANY seal. So it's not impossible to find one. This pot could be from the 70's or 60's in my opinion. Some vendors sell this shape as 70's and some as 60's. :roll: I have a similar shape. Maybe from the late 70's or 80's. Pretty inexpensive... but I have not bought it because I don't like the shape that much. It's interesting though.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284286800359
This one looks off to me. Def not 60s since it has a ball filter...
Mark-S

Fri May 14, 2021 9:01 pm

@steanze

Yes, it has a ball filter. And I think it's 70's for this reason... but this topic seems to be controversial. I have read some posts saying that ball filters have existed before the 70's. So I don't know for sure.

This is another one without any seal. Even looks similar to the first one.

https://thechineseteashop.com/collectio ... ese-teapot
Bok
Vendor

Fri May 14, 2021 9:04 pm

Mark-S wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 9:01 pm

steanze

Yes, it has a ball filter. And I think it's 70's for this reason... but this topic seems to be controversial. I have read some posts saying that ball filters have existed before the 70's. So I don't know for sure.

This is another one without any seal. Even looks similar to the first one.

https://thechineseteashop.com/collectio ... ese-teapot
No serious/honest Yixing collector/expert will agree that the ball filter existed before the 70s… that is not a controversial topic at all.
Mark-S

Fri May 14, 2021 9:13 pm

@Bok

I am more careful about what I read that's all. ;) These two pots do not look off to me, but if you think that they are fake... Maybe you have been right and there is no F1 pot without a makers mark.
Mark-S

Fri May 14, 2021 9:24 pm

If the second pot is not a 60's pot, it's another reminder to be more careful about what vendors say... I did not think that this would be a shady or inexperienced vendor because you mentioned him in the F1 vendors thread. :?