Yixing

pantry

Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:01 pm

Bok wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:55 pm
Duanni is a real nice and underrated clay, wasn’t it so difficult to find nice one - pure frustration got me to give in and get another one in a shape I already have...
@Bok Totally! What I love about duanni is the subtle difference it has on brewing tea. I only have two duanni pots so far, but they both are so unique. One of them -- perhaps fired at a higher range -- is so versatile as well. I'd say it's as versatile as my DCQ, but with different effects (both good) :D
Bok
Vendor

Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:05 pm

@friso depends on the tea I guess. I had good results with 90s Hongni and roasted teas. Generally I prefer my antique Zini for these teas though. 60-70s Hongni is really an all round good clay for many teas. Factory Zini I find much less satisfying but that may be due to my sample size :)
steanze
Vendor

Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:54 pm

enjoi wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:55 am
The pot was bought as unused and I used it approx. 30 times now.
Thanks a lot for your help! No problem to take more pictures, but the light get worse.

This is not a F1 pot from the 1970s, the clay, workmanship, and shape profile are inconsistent with F1. Imo it is a late 1990s / early 2000s replica.
enjoi

Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:03 am

steanze wrote:
enjoi wrote:
Thanks a lot for your help! No problem to take more pictures, but the light get worse.

This is not a F1 pot from the 1970s, the clay, workmanship, and shape profile are inconsistent with F1. Imo it is a late 1990s / early 2000s replica.
Ufff bit frustrating, but thanks a lot for the feedback and help @steanze @Bok! I bought it directly from a here often mentioned and well respected vendor. Its my first F1 and I fully trusted him, but was curious since I got it in my hands somehow... That's the reason I asked in this topic again about authenticity.
Chadrinkincat

Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:09 am

@enjoi

It’s a bummer when this kinda mistake happens.
Hopefully the seller is willing to give you a refund or at the very least store credit.
steanze
Vendor

Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:54 am

enjoi wrote:

Ufff bit frustrating, but thanks a lot for the feedback and help steanze Bok! I bought it directly from a here often mentioned and well respected vendor. Its my first F1 and I fully trusted him, but was curious since I got it in my hands somehow... That's the reason I asked in this topic again about authenticity.
Keep in mind that while this is my view, I can also make mistakes, and there are some slight variations in F1 teapots so it might also be a less common production I have not seen.
McScooter

Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:01 pm

friso wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:00 pm
Hi people! Playing with a cute pot I got on my last trip to Taipei (Taipei tea art shop near Yongkang street if I remember correctly)
100 ml, supposedly 90s F1 hongni. Got it at a discount due to the hairline on the lid (see close up picture)
I mostly use it for roasted / aged oolongs. Would be curious to read your advice about yixing and roasted oolongs pairing, it seems like there are two schools of thought on that. A lot of people seem to prefer 60-70s hongni/zhuni or generally less muting clays, especially for yanchas, while others go for zini and "heavier" clays to round out the roast.
I can only answer one part of that last question, and with a modern zini pot at that, but I've had a couple of thinner, high roast Da Hong Paos recently that I've enjoyed brewing in zini. Yes, the pot mutes the high notes a tad, but it also thickens the broth, tones down the roast a little, and makes the tea taste a bit sweeter. Overall, I've enjoyed its rounding effect to the point where I actually prefer brewing in the pot, but I'm also planning on acquiring a hongni. Yours looks like a nice pot with what I'm guessing is a quick-ish pour for yancha? Most of the hongni's I'm contemplating are either modern or green label, as 60s/70s prices are a tad high, but still curious as to that clay's effects, though I'm sure it won't be on par with 60s/70s pots.

Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:01 pm

enjoi wrote:
steanze wrote:
enjoi wrote:

Ufff bit frustrating, but thanks a lot for the feedback and help steanze Bok! I bought it directly from a here often mentioned and well respected vendor. Its my first F1 and I fully trusted him, but was curious since I got it in my hands somehow... That's the reason I asked in this topic again about authenticity.
Who?
.m.

Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:46 am

friso wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:00 pm
Hi people! Playing with a cute pot I got on my last trip to Taipei (Taipei tea art shop near Yongkang street if I remember correctly)
100 ml, supposedly 90s F1 hongni. Got it at a discount due to the hairline on the lid (see close up picture)
I mostly use it for roasted / aged oolongs. Would be curious to read your advice about yixing and roasted oolongs pairing, it seems like there are two schools of thought on that. A lot of people seem to prefer 60-70s hongni/zhuni or generally less muting clays, especially for yanchas, while others go for zini and "heavier" clays to round out the roast.
Nice pot! The shape looks visually very pleasing. The F1 logo stamp in the interior is interesting, first time i see one. 8-)
friso
Artisan

Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:47 pm

McScooter wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:01 pm

I can only answer one part of that last question, and with a modern zini pot at that, but I've had a couple of thinner, high roast Da Hong Paos recently that I've enjoyed brewing in zini. Yes, the pot mutes the high notes a tad, but it also thickens the broth, tones down the roast a little, and makes the tea taste a bit sweeter. Overall, I've enjoyed its rounding effect to the point where I actually prefer brewing in the pot, but I'm also planning on acquiring a hongni. Yours looks like a nice pot with what I'm guessing is a quick-ish pour for yancha? Most of the hongni's I'm contemplating are either modern or green label, as 60s/70s prices are a tad high, but still curious as to that clay's effects, though I'm sure it won't be on par with 60s/70s pots.
Quickish pour indeed! But I mostly brew yanchas in a smaller jianshui, the size and shape of this one don't seem right. I would love an older hongni, but prices are steep and I feel like I need to learn much more before I commit. About that, I get the impression that jianshuis and nixings maybe make good beginners pots : lower prices and overall more constant quality, whereas the yixing world seems to be full of either very expensive modern pots or quite poor quality ones.
.m. wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:46 am

Nice pot! The shape looks visually very pleasing. The F1 logo stamp in the interior is interesting, first time i see one. 8-)
Thanks m.! I could not say much about that inside stamp. The pot does look like a 90s one to me, but I'm by no mean an expert and it could very well not be a f1 at all, even though it was sold to me as such. Still makes good tea! :D
TeaTotaling

Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:03 pm

@pantry Somebody has Yixing fever! Great news all around. Duanni from HH?? Excellent choice!!!! I bet you can't keep your hands off that one. He's quite the artist, with a very promising future. Also, good to hear you are finding newfound satisfaction in larger pots. They really make for special sessions. @OCTO knows what's UP! Keep it on the UP! and UP! friends 8-)
OCTO

Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:36 pm

TeaTotaling wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:03 pm
pantry Somebody has Yixing fever! Great news all around. Duanni from HH?? Excellent choice!!!! I bet you can't keep your hands off that one. He's quite the artist, with a very promising future. Also, good to hear you are finding newfound satisfaction in larger pots. They really make for special sessions. OCTO knows what's UP! Keep it on the UP! and UP! friends 8-)
🥳🥳🥳
enjoi

Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:48 am

@steanze @Bok
Thanks again for your help with the F1 teapot! The seller understands the situation and offers me a full refund and will check the authenticity.
I was disappointed to be in this situation, but with the help of the forum and a well respected seller I had the chance to learn a lot about the F1 topic first hand.
To be honest, for me buying a modern teapot is the secure and easy way,
but something about this F1 and old teapots mystery is still there and I will find the right pot once!
steanze
Vendor

Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:18 am

enjoi wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:48 am
steanze Bok
Thanks again for your help with the F1 teapot! The seller understands the situation and offers me a full refund and will check the authenticity.
I was disappointed to be in this situation, but with the help of the forum and a well respected seller I had the chance to learn a lot about the F1 topic first hand.
To be honest, for me buying a modern teapot is the secure and easy way,
but something about this F1 and old teapots mystery is still there and I will find the right pot once!
That's a really great seller then, it's good to hear that they stood behind their offerings. It is uncommon to offer a refund based on the opinion of people on a forum.
Bok
Vendor

Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:08 pm

I can add some anecdote from a tea-vening I had just yesterday at a friends. Some guy brought two very, very convincing pots which turned out to be fakes. It’s quite impressive how detailed the imitations have become... we spent a long time to be sure of what only started as a hunch.

They imitated many identification points of an authentic piece. One a bit better than the other. The other only seen on pictures would have likely passed for most. Another verification that the forgers do indeed follow very closely what people are discussing to authenticate pots, in order to know how to improve their “work”.

: (