Yixing

Bok
Vendor

Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:24 pm

nohwonder wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:08 pm
The chip that the crack appears to have developed from was definitely visible in the original sale pictures, I just didn't see it originally. My guess is that the crack developed in shipment, but still the pot shouldn't have been labeled as "perfect" with a chip like that in my opinion. I think it's probably fine to use, but I might try putting some epoxy or something around the crack to stabilize it if I end up keeping it. I'm not too worried about the aesthetics of it or anything, I just don't want to worry about the handle breaking while I'm using it.
that is no good then, if the chip was there it should have been mentioned. I'd ask for a price reduction instead, all the shipping back and fourth will cost as well.

I really do not think it will snap of the whole handle in this position – but if you want to take pre-emptive measures then I'd rather add a ring of metal in order to stabilize it. Looks better and less messy than epoxy :mrgreen:
nohwonder

Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:38 pm

Bok wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:24 pm
nohwonder wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:08 pm
The chip that the crack appears to have developed from was definitely visible in the original sale pictures, I just didn't see it originally. My guess is that the crack developed in shipment, but still the pot shouldn't have been labeled as "perfect" with a chip like that in my opinion. I think it's probably fine to use, but I might try putting some epoxy or something around the crack to stabilize it if I end up keeping it. I'm not too worried about the aesthetics of it or anything, I just don't want to worry about the handle breaking while I'm using it.
that is no good then, if the chip was there it should have been mentioned. I'd ask for a price reduction instead, all the shipping back and fourth will cost as well.

I really do not think it will snap of the whole handle in this position – but if you want to take pre-emptive measures then I'd rather add a ring of metal in order to stabilize it. Looks better and less messy than epoxy :mrgreen:
Yeah, a partial refund is what I'm hoping for, returning it would be a hassle and it still seems like a totally functional pot. Do you have any recommendations for how I might go about adding a metal ring like you mentioned?
Bok
Vendor

Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:45 pm

nohwonder wrote:
Yeah, a partial refund is what I'm hoping for, returning it would be a hassle and it still seems like a totally functional pot. Do you have any recommendations for how I might go about adding a metal ring like you mentioned?
Depends on how handy you are with crafts 8-)
I'd find a thin sheet of nice metal. Measure and test first the width and length with paper. Then probaly best pre-wrap around a pencil or stick of similar thickness. Glue with a very (!!!) thin layer of epoxy or similar. Carefully sand down the joint line when glue is dried. Soldering would be even better if you have the equipment.
nohwonder

Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:51 pm

Bok wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:45 pm
nohwonder wrote:
Depends on how handy you are with crafts 8-)
I'd find a thin sheet of nice metal. Measure and test first the width and length with paper. Then probaly best pre-wrap around a pencil or stick of similar thickness. Glue with a very (!!!) thin layer of epoxy or similar. Carefully sand down the joint line when glue is dried. Soldering would be even better if you have the equipment.
Handy enough for something like that, or at least I'd like to think so! I do have a soldering iron. I'll give it some thought. I might just (carefully) use the pot as is for now.
TeaTotaling

Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:06 pm

@nohwonder Definitely a discouraging situation, but hope is not lost. My communications with ZAG were extensive, I have a feeling they will be sympathetic.

We take a risk, and are at a major disadvantage not being able to examine the pot in person. Pictures tend to gloss over imperfections, and not having access to a 360° view doesn't help either. I don't see ZAG trying to pull a fast one, they risk their good name. I believe they highly value their reputation.

Also, the crack could have easily been aggravated in transit. I was sweating it while waiting to receive my package. I'm not a gambling man, but I certainly rolled the dice on that one 🎲

ZAG fully disclosed information regarding one of my pots characteristics, that could not be pictured, and without me asking. They also offered complimentary services.

Based on your written reaction, I bet you raised the issue calmly and respectfully. That gives you the advantage. I'm hoping they meet you in your time of unfortunate circumstances.
nohwonder

Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:10 pm

TeaTotaling wrote:
nohwonder Definitely a discouraging situation, but hope is not lost. My communications with ZAG were extensive, I have a feeling they will be sympathetic.

We take a risk, and are at a major disadvantage not being able to examine the pot in person. Pictures tend to gloss over imperfections, and not having access to a 360° view doesn't help either. I don't see ZAG trying to pull a fast one, they risk their good name. I believe they highly value their reputation.

Also, the crack could have easily been aggravated in transit. I was sweating it while waiting to receive my package. I'm not a gambling man, but I certainly rolled the dice on that one 🎲

ZAG fully disclosed information regarding one of my pots characteristics, that could not be pictured, and without me asking. They also offered complimentary services.

Based on your written reaction, I bet you raised the issue calmly and respectfully. That gives you the advantage. I'm hoping they meet you in your time of unfortunate circumstances.
I actually just received a response from ZAG, they said they must have made a mistake and offered to let me choose a pot of equal value as a replacement. They don't even want me to send this one back. So much respect to them for how they handled this :mrgreen:
TeaTotaling

Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:15 pm

@nohwonder I concur with @Bok, playing the return game is risky. Price reduction would be ideal. Having recently experienced a major international return hassle, I strongly discourage this course of action. It sounds like you have some good plans anyway.

Also, with these old pots, they still consider minor cracks to fall into the perfect condition category. We can't really see the extent of the crack in the picture, it just looks like a chip.
nohwonder

Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:18 pm

TeaTotaling wrote:
nohwonder I concur with Bok, playing the return game is risky. Price reduction would be ideal. Having recently experienced a major international return hassle, I strongly discourage this course of action. It sounds like you have some good plans anyway.

Also, with these old pots, they still consider minor cracks to fall into the perfect condition category. We can't really see the extent of the crack in the picture, it just looks like a chip.
That's interesting, I wouldn't have guessed they consider cracked pots to be perfect considering they mention small chips on many of their pots. I could understand a kiln crack I suppose, but this is clearly not a kiln crack. I understand I wasn't able to post great photos though.
TeaTotaling

nohwonder wrote:
TeaTotaling wrote:
nohwonder Definitely a discouraging situation, but hope is not lost. My communications with ZAG were extensive, I have a feeling they will be sympathetic.

I actually just received a response from ZAG, they said they must have made a mistake and offered to let me choose a pot of equal value as a replacement. They don't even want me to send this one back. So much respect to them for how they handled this :mrgreen:
Wow, that's awesome, I'm excited for you!!! Major relief. That speaks volumes to their credibility. I'm very pleased to hear this. 🙌🏻
TeaTotaling

Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:29 pm

nohwonder wrote:
TeaTotaling wrote:
nohwonder I concur with Bok, playing the return game is risky. Price reduction would be ideal. Having recently experienced a major international return hassle, I strongly discourage this course of action. It sounds like you have some good plans anyway.

That's interesting, I wouldn't have guessed they consider cracked pots to be perfect considering they mention small chips on many of their pots. I could understand a kiln crack I suppose, but this is clearly not a kiln crack. I understand I wasn't able to post great photos though.
I was looking at one pot and the lid skirt was slightly chipped. I inquired further and they informed me, in this case, it was still considered perfect. Yours turned out to be a possible functional issue. An honest overlook, or further damaged in transit. Based on their accommodations, we know for sure they had no ill intentions.

I'm glad everything worked out for you in record time! ZAG for the win!
Bok
Vendor

Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:33 pm

TeaTotaling wrote:
I was looking at one pot and the lid skirt was slightly chipped. I inquired further and they informed me, in this case, it was still considered perfect.
Yes, small chips are to be expected with antiques, even suspicious if there aren't any – although in my book I would not call it perfect, perfect should be reserved for what really is.

But this is the happiest of endings! Bad luck turned into double luck :lol:
nohwonder

Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:34 pm

TeaTotaling wrote:
nohwonder wrote:
TeaTotaling wrote:

I was looking at one pot and the lid skirt was slightly chipped. I inquired further and they informed me, in this case, it was still considered perfect. Yours turned out to be a possible functional issue. An honest overlook, or further damaged in transit. Based on their accommodations, we know for sure they had no ill intentions.

I'm glad everything worked out for you in record time! ZAG for the win!
Seems like they might be a little inconsistent with their grading, but I can't fault their customer service. Time to go look for a replacement pot I suppose. What would y'all get if you had 280-ish usd to spend on a pot at ZAG? I wouldn't mind going a little over.
TeaTotaling

Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:41 pm

Bok wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:33 pm
TeaTotaling wrote:
I was looking at one pot and the lid skirt was slightly chipped. I inquired further and they informed me, in this case, it was still considered perfect.
Yes, small chips are to be expected with antiques, even suspicious if there aren't any – although in my book I would not call it perfect, perfect should be reserved for what really is.

But this is the happiest of endings! Bad luck turned into double luck :lol:
True. I believe they were referencing perfect as it related to the LQ/ER standard. I agree though, call it what it is.

Looking back at the picture of the lid, it's much smaller than I was thinking. In my case I feel the categorization is correct. I must have pulled out the magnifying glass 🧐

DOUBLE LUCK 🥳 🥳 🥳 🥳
Attachments
39019F5C-C6D9-445A-9F30-63797CFF2496-scaled.jpeg
39019F5C-C6D9-445A-9F30-63797CFF2496-scaled.jpeg (58.17 KiB) Viewed 4352 times
OCTO

Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:31 pm

TeaTotaling wrote:
nohwonder wrote:
TeaTotaling wrote:

Wow, that's awesome, I'm excited for you!!! Major relief. That speaks volumes to their credibility. I'm very pleased to hear this. 🙌🏻
@nohwonder

Awesome news! I echo @TeaTotaling's excitement. ZAG truly live up to their reputation. Kudos to ZAG.

Cheers!
Chadrinkincat

Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:28 am

Balthazar wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:58 am
Chadrinkincat wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:28 pm
Chadrinkincat wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:20 am

Nope. I’m considering getting the chubby zini pot. I’ll probably take a pass and wait for a julunzhu instead.
And it’s gone. I didn’t buy it 🤥
Bummer. Hope they have more ROC pots coming, and that a julunzhu is among what they release next (not that I am thinking of picking up one myself)
I included a Pinocchio emoji since I was lying about not buying it. I couldn’t resist it