Yixing

TeaTotaling

Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:09 pm

Balthazar wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:45 am
At the same time, I feel most of those who own antiques (at least in the online sphere, I know nothing about private collectors) are quite honest about this: Both saying they prefer the tea their antiques brew, due to differences in clay/processing/firing, but also admitting that a part of what they value is something that goes beyond the utilitarian and artistic values of the pots.
Interesting points @Balthazar, good perspective and quite the thought provoking scenario.

You mentioned a metaphysical quality that might hold it's own value. I have not heard this angle mentioned before. I believe this is part of the reason I tend to gravitate to my older pots. There is something about them that is unique, in and of themselves, which transcends utilitarian and artistic value. They have survived generations, and journeyed throughout time and space. They have their own unique, secret, story as it relates to my personal collection. There is a mystique about them that has a powerful allure.

I don't promote one or the other, I can only share my experience, and personal preference. My latest modern pot to join the family is the most costly of the bunch. So my preference is not rooted in monetary value.
OCTO

Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:45 pm

Youzi wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:38 pm
faj wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:41 am
Youzi wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:28 am
I'm starting to hear more and more people liking Hong Cha in Duanni. Myself included.
What difference do you feel it makes in the resulting tea?
I like to use it with all black Hongcha, so simple ones. It makes it more dark chocolatey and less hay, barley and stuff like that. For JJM and other finer, more fruity black teas, I use a Gaiwan.
I have yet to explore this pairing. I often find myself drinking the finer JJM with glass or porcelain to achieve my desired taste profiles for HongCha.... hahahaha.... another pairing I discovered is very high fired DCQ with HongCha.

Cheers!!
pantry

Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:04 pm

OCTO wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:45 pm
Youzi wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:38 pm
faj wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:41 am

What difference do you feel it makes in the resulting tea?
I like to use it with all black Hongcha, so simple ones. It makes it more dark chocolatey and less hay, barley and stuff like that. For JJM and other finer, more fruity black teas, I use a Gaiwan.
I have yet to explore this pairing. I often find myself drinking the finer JJM with glass or porcelain to achieve my desired taste profiles for HongCha.... hahahaha.... another pairing I discovered is very high fired DCQ with HongCha.

Cheers!!
I’ve been using my benshan duan with red tea as well. I especially like it with jin jun mei :mrgreen:
TeaTotaling

Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:01 pm

@pantry nice to have you back in the mix! Congratulations on your promotion!!

Jin Jun Mei was actually my first red tea paired with Duanni. Just like you, I found it to be a great match. Shortly after, Duanni became my go-to Hong Cha pot.

You have that Ben Shan Duanni though, classy stuff. Is it still performing well for you?? I'm not too sure what type of Duanni was commonly used in the 80's, but I find mine doesn't mute much at all. It does have a very noticeable affect on the body, quite nice. I have been eyeing a particular Ben Shan as well 😂
pantry

Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:04 pm

@TeaTotaling Thank you! Though I wasn't getting any promotion--just more work, less play, and same pay :?

Glad to see you're active again after that short break from tea ;)
I guess we got our duanni pot at about the same time. This benshan duan is currently my favorite pot--it just adds such an interesting twist to the tea I brew! I find it muting for certain tea, but not so much on the other. I can't decide on a single type of tea to dedicate it to, and am still using it for green tea, red tea, and aged puerh. Won't mind getting multiple duanni to be honest :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Which benshan have you been thinking about? :lol:
OCTO

Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:17 pm

pantry wrote:
Won't mind getting multiple duanni to be honest :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
@pantry

Aahhh... now you’re seeing some light at the end of my tunnel.... 🥳🥳🥳
TeaTotaling

Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:19 pm

pantry wrote:
TeaTotaling Thank you! Though I wasn't getting any promotion--just more work, less play, and same pay :?

Glad to see you're active again after that short break from tea ;)
I guess we got our duanni pot at about the same time. This benshan duan is currently my favorite pot--it just adds such an interesting twist to the tea I brew! I find it muting for certain tea, but not so much on the other. I can't decide on a single type of tea to dedicate it to, and am still using it for green tea, red tea, and aged puerh. Won't mind getting multiple duanni to be honest :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Which benshan have you been thinking about? :lol:
My goodness! The least they could do is give you a little pay bump, but hard work pays off, and you seem like a hard worker. Keep at it!!

That's so interesting. Ben Shan Duanni seems like a wild card clay, I'm even more intrigued now. I find I reach for my Duanni pot often, there is something very satisfying about it's affect on the right tea. Glad to hear you would consider having multiples. The Ben Shan just looks beautiful, such a lovely presence about it.

I have been eyeing the 东蓠 Dong Li Hu, no surprise there 😁
TeaTotaling

Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:21 pm

OCTO wrote:
pantry wrote:
pantry

This guy!! He wants everyone to join him in the dark depths of the Zisha Abyss. @pantry don't let him fool you, there is no light at the end of his tunnel. He's blinded by tunnel vision, and clay. Misery loves company...and tea, apparently. Party on 🤡 🎉 🎊 🤡
pantry

Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:59 pm

@TeaTotaling I knew it! I believe the clay is from the same source as mine :mrgreen:
OCTO wrote:
@pantry

The three stooges you recently posted was a bad influence for sure :mrgreen:. I particularly like the middle one! Are those from private collectors’ orders?

I’m having a Benshan Lv coming my way. Can’t wait to try it out! What have people been brewing with their benshan lv?
OCTO

Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:10 am

TeaTotaling wrote:
OCTO wrote:
pantry wrote:
pantry

This guy!! He wants everyone to join him in the dark depths of the Zisha Abyss. pantry don't let him fool you, there is no light at the end of his tunnel. He's blinded by tunnel vision, and clay. Misery loves company...and tea, apparently. Party on 🤡 🎉 🎊 🤡
@TeaTotaling

ROTFL!!!!! Like you once said and I quote, “TAD is very real!!”.... I think I’m stating to get a glimpse of your silhouette breaking the light of day in the dark abyss.... should I organize a welcoming party?? 🤟🏻🙂🤪🥳
Youzi

Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:58 am

pantry wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:59 pm
TeaTotaling I knew it! I believe the clay is from the same source as mine :mrgreen:
OCTO wrote:
pantry

The three stooges you recently posted was a bad influence for sure :mrgreen:. I particularly like the middle one! Are those from private collectors’ orders?

I’m having a Benshan Lv coming my way. Can’t wait to try it out! What have people been brewing with their benshan lv?
If it's okay to ask where did you get your Duanni and Lüni teapots from. Really interesting that they perform so well and nicely for you. Seems they are not as porous as everyone says then to be?
TeaTotaling

Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:37 am

OCTO wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:10 am
TeaTotaling wrote:
OCTO wrote:
pantry

This guy!! He wants everyone to join him in the dark depths of the Zisha Abyss. pantry don't let him fool you, there is no light at the end of his tunnel. He's blinded by tunnel vision, and clay. Misery loves company...and tea, apparently. Party on 🤡 🎉 🎊 🤡
TeaTotaling

ROTFL!!!!! Like you once said and I quote, “TAD is very real!!”.... I think I’m stating to get a glimpse of your silhouette breaking the light of day in the dark abyss.... should I organize a welcoming party?? 🤟🏻🙂🤪🥳
@OCTO unbelievable!! You are the Angler Fish lurking in the depths. Preying upon innocent tea drinkers. Just because you are living in a Clown World, alternate reality, doesn't mean you need to include me. I think delirium is setting in. @faj conveyed those words. I think it's just a party of 1 down there, maybe an imaginary friend or two....... :lol:
OCTO

Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:48 am

TeaTotaling wrote:
OCTO unbelievable!! You are the Angler Fish lurking in the depths. Preying upon innocent tea drinkers. Just because you are living in a Clown World, alternate reality, doesn't mean you need to include me. I think delirium is setting in. faj conveyed those words. I think it's just a party of 1 down there, maybe an imaginary friend or two....... :lol:
hahahahaha.... I guess so.... getting forgetful with all the tea soaking up my memory.. hahahahahaha..... All in good company... now @faj joins the foray!!!... I'm as innocent you are!.... LOL!!... All in good fun!... Looking forward to some good tea and teaware sessions. Maybe we can consider a ZOOM tea session for TF members!... hhmmmmm....

Cheers!!
Bok
Vendor

Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:53 pm

TeaTotaling wrote:
I think it's just a party of 1 down there, maybe an imaginary friend or two....... :lol:
Believe me there are quite a few of us keeping him company...

Only thing to be aware of, said light at the end of the tunnel is the warm glow of the fire. :twisted:
pantry

Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:23 am

@Youzi YZG :lol: