Yixing

.m.

Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:31 pm

This is an interesting question. From what i've read, black bone phenomenon is likely connected to reduction firing in the early stages of the firing process. It is the lack of oxygen that helps to converts the iron in the clay to magnetite form. Principally, such conditions could happen in any kind of fuel based kiln, whether wood, oil, or gas... But is this normal for F1 pots?
Bok
Vendor

Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:03 pm

.m. wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:31 pm
This is an interesting question. From what i've read, black bone phenomenon is likely connected to reduction firing in the early stages of the firing process. It is the lack of oxygen that helps to converts the iron in the clay to magnetite form. Principally, such conditions could happen in any kind of fuel based kiln, whether wood, oil, or gas... But is this normal for F1 pots?
From what I know black bone did not happen in F1. The picture above looks like it’s like due to the clay itself, not necessarily a result of the firing. For a lack of better example take Hokujos clay: the places where he did something to the clay past wheel throwing are darker. Don’t have a better explanation for now.
Mark-S

Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:18 pm

Bok wrote:
The picture above looks like it’s like due to the clay itself, not necessarily a result of the firing.
And this is common for F1? If yes, do you know when they used this technique?
Bok
Vendor

Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:21 pm

Mark-S wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:18 pm
Bok wrote:
The picture above looks like it’s like due to the clay itself, not necessarily a result of the firing.
And this is common for F1? If yes, do you know when they used this technique?
It is not a technique. That is just the clay as it is. No idea if this is common for F1. For all that it matters I do not even know if your pot is F1. One thing I have seen is that F2 or outside factory pots have less well processed clay with non-uniform texture and/or inclusions.
Mark-S

Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:00 pm

Bok wrote:
It is not a technique. That is just the clay as it is. No idea if this is common for F1. For all that it matters I do not even know if your pot is F1. One thing I have seen is that F2 or outside factory pots have less well processed clay with non-uniform texture and/or inclusions.
Mh... it's possible that it is from F2. The craftsmanship is good (not perfect), and on the inside it looks a bit different from my other pots. The seller did not know the age of the pot. It was a gift and had already been used multiple times. I'll post the pot in the Facebook group for decorated pots tomorrow. If they don't criticize the pot, I'll maybe ask in the "Early tea pots II" group for advice. I think it would be ok if I only ask about the clay and not the pot.
steanze
Vendor

Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:50 pm

Mark-S wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:00 pm
Bok wrote:
Mh... it's possible that it is from F2. The craftsmanship is good (not perfect), and on the inside it looks a bit different from my other pots. The seller did not know the age of the pot. It was a gift and had already been used multiple times. I'll post the pot in the Facebook group for decorated pots tomorrow. If they don't criticize the pot, I'll maybe ask in the "Early tea pots II" group for advice. I think it would be ok if I only ask about the clay and not the pot.
Hm is it your pot or someone else's pot? We should not ask questions about teapots that aren't in our possession on the Early Teapots II group...
Mark-S

Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:31 am

@steanze

It's my pot.

-

The collectors on Facebook are also not sure if it's from F1. One Two collectors thinks that it has a high possibility to be a 70's F1 pot and two collectors think it's not from F1. :?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/twteapo ... 1/?app=fbl
steanze
Vendor

Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:24 pm

Mark-S wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:31 am
steanze

It's my pot.

-

The collectors on Facebook are also not sure if it's from F1. One Two collectors thinks that it has a high possibility to be a 70's F1 pot and two collectors think it's not from F1. :?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/twteapo ... 1/?app=fbl
Ok, that's great that you asked then. In my opinion - I have seen very similar F1 70s pots, but this one looks a little bit different. The spout and lid look a bit off. This is why you might be hearing contrasting views. It is an interesting case. It might be a variant of F1 pot used for export, or an outside-factory pot that uses a similar style and is made of pretty decent clay. Either way, it should make good tea.

Coming to the darkening of the clay, I have not seen black bones on F1 teapots before. But I agree with you that the dark part on your pot does not look just like a stain. I will keep my eyes open and see if I find information about whether there are rare cases of black bone in F1.
Mark-S

Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:16 pm

steanze wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:24 pm
Either way, it should make good tea.

Coming to the darkening of the clay, I have not seen black bones on F1 teapots before. But I agree with you that the dark part on your pot does not look just like a stain. I will keep my eyes open and see if I find information about whether there are rare cases of black bone in F1.
I hope so. :) At first, I wanted to sell this pot again, but now I think I'll keep it. It looks pretty good cleaned.

That would be great, thanks.
Noonie

Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:08 pm

I bought a used Yixing pot a couple of months ago and I'm not happy with it. I was planning on pairing it with ripe pu'erh. It has a loose-fitting lid and as a result when I pour it's a bit of a mess. Not the end of the world, and I still use it, but after using a gaiwan with a newly opened ripe this morning it made me really see the short coming of this pot. Sure the taste is a bit different with the yixing but because it doesn't blow me away I'm wondering if I should just clean it and stick it back in its box for another time.

What do you all do when you buy a pot that has a flaw? I guess it depends on ones personality but I'm interested to hear your experiences as I'm sure I'm not the only one who's been in this situation :oops:
pantry

Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:17 pm

@Noonie
I don’t think of my less loved pots as having a flaw. Rather, they are not suitable for the types of tea I drink and the way I brew them. I let them stay forgotten in my cabinet. Maybe try to sell them if possible. I had given a way a few of the pots that at the time I thought they weren’t suitable for me (maybe too big) but I’m now wanting to get the same ones back. Unfortunately they were sold out :(
TeaTotaling

Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:34 pm

Noonie wrote:
I bought a used Yixing pot a couple of months ago and I'm not happy with it. I was planning on pairing it with ripe pu'erh. It has a loose-fitting lid and as a result when I pour it's a bit of a mess. Not the end of the world, and I still use it, but after using a gaiwan with a newly opened ripe this morning it made me really see the short coming of this pot. Sure the taste is a bit different with the yixing but because it doesn't blow me away I'm wondering if I should just clean it and stick it back in its box for another time.

What do you all do when you buy a pot that has a flaw? I guess it depends on ones personality but I'm interested to hear your experiences as I'm sure I'm not the only one who's been in this situation :oops:
What type of clay is it? Have you tried it with any tea other than Shou? Maybe it's just poor quality clay, but I wouldn't throw in the towel without further experimentation. Same tea, brewed side by side in a gaiwan and the clay, can be enlightening.
steanze
Vendor

Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:05 pm

Noonie wrote:

Hi! All old pots (i.e.early factory 1, ROC, Qing) were fired only once, so loose fitting lids are common in that period. You only see tighter fitting lids in more modern pots, which are fired twice. After the first firing the lid is re-adjusted to the body after the initial shrinkage.
I personally don't really mind loose fitting lids, because usually it is possible to avoid spilling by adopting a couple of tricks. First, you don't want to fill the pot to the very rim. leave just 3-4 mm of empty space. Second, before you start pouring, use your thumb to exert some pressure behind the lid knob, causing the lid rim to press against the anterior part of the pot. Third, pour gently, tilting the pot only a little initially, and then gradually increase the tilt as you pour. I quite enjoy brewing in this way, as it takes a certain amount of care, but I understand that you might not like it. If you see that this does not work for you, maybe you can stick with a gaiwan, or get a modern pot with a very flush lid.
Noonie

Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:58 pm

steanze wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:05 pm
Noonie wrote:

Hi! All old pots (i.e.early factory 1, ROC, Qing) were fired only once, so loose fitting lids are common in that period. You only see tighter fitting lids in more modern pots, which are fired twice. After the first firing the lid is re-adjusted to the body after the initial shrinkage.
I personally don't really mind loose fitting lids, because usually it is possible to avoid spilling by adopting a couple of tricks. First, you don't want to fill the pot to the very rim. leave just 3-4 mm of empty space. Second, before you start pouring, use your thumb to exert some pressure behind the lid knob, causing the lid rim to press against the anterior part of the pot. Third, pour gently, tilting the pot only a little initially, and then gradually increase the tilt as you pour. I quite enjoy brewing in this way, as it takes a certain amount of care, but I understand that you might not like it. If you see that this does not work for you, maybe you can stick with a gaiwan, or get a modern pot with a very flush lid.
Thanks for the tips. It’s from the 80’s and thus makes sense that it was fired only once and the lid wasn’t adjusted for a second firing.

The ripe I used with the pot was mainly smaller bits and added to the difficulty as they get caught on the side of the lid. The ripe I just open is larger leaf and I think the pot will function better, including the tips you shared (which I’ve used loosely up to now). I’ll try this in the next couple days and report back :-)
steanze
Vendor

Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:31 pm

Noonie wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:58 pm

Thanks for the tips. It’s from the 80’s and thus makes sense that it was fired only once and the lid wasn’t adjusted for a second firing.

The ripe I used with the pot was mainly smaller bits and added to the difficulty as they get caught on the side of the lid. The ripe I just open is larger leaf and I think the pot will function better, including the tips you shared (which I’ve used loosely up to now). I’ll try this in the next couple days and report back :-)
You are welcome! Ah, I see. Is the pot single hole filter?