Yixing

Teachronicles

Mon May 18, 2020 8:37 pm

@Chadrinkincat eBay? Quite a find. Too bad about the hairline, it could probably be reinforced with staples or maybe urushi.
Bok
Vendor

Mon May 18, 2020 8:38 pm

Chadrinkincat wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 8:24 pm
I’m actually surprised it sold for $519 especially since the person that bought it likely knows the lid isn’t original.
Well if you are in the West, antique Yixing is rare enough as it is, and the clay and workmanship on this one does not look bad at all. Zhuni for 519 is a pretty good deal if you ask me... compared to an intact piece which might start at 2000 :lol:

Or soemone thought it's something a lot more valuable than it is, ignorance is always a possibility.
DailyTX

Mon May 18, 2020 8:42 pm

Bok wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 8:11 pm
DailyTX wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 8:09 pm
Bok and Chadrinkincat
What’s the % discount for a pot with mismatch lid if I am buying it from a reputable antique shop?
They won't sell this kind of pots. Asian collectors will never buy it.
@Bok
I see. I guess I am on the same boat with @Chadrinkincat, I can accept chips and maybe hairline, but not the original lid kind of made that pot incomplete. One the other hand, 100-200 usd would be okay to own a specimen
ezpzeke

Mon May 18, 2020 9:31 pm

Last edited by ezpzeke on Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:25 pm, edited 6 times in total.
.m.

Mon May 18, 2020 9:55 pm

DailyTX wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 8:42 pm
Bok wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 8:11 pm
DailyTX wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 8:09 pm
Bok and Chadrinkincat
What’s the % discount for a pot with mismatch lid if I am buying it from a reputable antique shop?
They won't sell this kind of pots. Asian collectors will never buy it.
Bok
I see. I guess I am on the same boat with Chadrinkincat, I can accept chips and maybe hairline, but not the original lid kind of made that pot incomplete. One the other hand, 100-200 usd would be okay to own a specimen
I'm a bit surprised about the idea of the lid not original. Yes, stylistically it looks perhaps a bit mismatched, but otherwise the fit looks perfect and the clay and firing looks to be the same. However the pot is only 1 and 1/2 inch in diameter (maybe 20-40ml ?) - for practical purposes quite useless, although fine for collection, i guess.
Bok
Vendor

Mon May 18, 2020 10:01 pm

.m. wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 9:55 pm
I'm a bit surprised about the idea of the lid not original. Yes, stylistically it looks perhaps a bit mismatched, but otherwise the fit looks perfect and the clay and firing looks to be the same. However the pot is only 1 and 1/2 inch in diameter (maybe 20-40ml ?) - for practical purposes quite useless, although fine for collection, i guess.
It is not an idea it is a certainty.
– You don't find this kind of lid on this kind of body shape. The lid looks newer than the body.
– It's too large, which can also not be explained by firing issues.
– Clay is also not the same, grain, colour, etc.

As to practicality, I have lots of friends who use this kind of size for their most expensive teas. Yancha is a good candidate. My smallest is 45ml and it is rather convenient for either expensive teas, or if I just want a quick fix without fuss. One pot, one small sip, brew a few rounds and be done with it. I often do that at the end of a tea session, when I still crave for a little more tea.
.m.

Mon May 18, 2020 10:31 pm

Bok wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 10:01 pm
As to practicality, I have lots of friends who use this kind of size for their most expensive teas. Yancha is a good candidate. My smallest is 45ml and it is rather convenient for either expensive teas, or if I just want a quick fix without fuss. One pot, one small sip, brew a few rounds and be done with it. I often do that at the end of a tea session, when I still crave for a little more tea.
With a proper technique any size pot can be used, i guess. My smallest pot is about 40ml and the impact of instant cooling from the pot has already noticeable effect. There is sure a way to deal with it, but for me it actually creates a fuss. :lol:
I never understood the idea of using smallest pot for expensive teas -- my preference is always for the pot i'm most familiar with and that tends to give me the best results. In the end, all i'm saying is that i have difficulty to use pots that are sizewise outside of my comfort zone.
Bok
Vendor

Mon May 18, 2020 10:34 pm

.m. wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 10:31 pm
In the end, all i'm saying is that i have difficulty to use pots that are sizewise outside of my comfort zone.
Fair enough :)
Balthazar

Tue May 19, 2020 2:35 am

Seems to be a personal preference thing, yes. I too find anything below 80 ml "too small", there's just something unsatisfactory to me about the amount they brew up (even when using appropriately sized cups). It's like it's not enough tea for me to get a good taste of each cup, and I end up having a harder time distinguishing between the tea's progression throughout the session.

My smallest pot holds 65 ml. Doesn't help that it's opening is so small that I need to break up the leaves of most teas to fit them in (or do the first steeping without the lid on), or that it's made of duanni clay.
pantry

Tue May 19, 2020 3:23 am

My smallest is 45ml as well. Tempted to brew an 8g dragon ball in it just for fun.

Too busy grocery shopping and cooking today that I completely missed @Bok ‘s ROC offering! Wasn’t even fast enough to leave a comment (hence, venting here). The pot looks so good!
Bok
Vendor

Tue May 19, 2020 3:51 am

pantry wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 3:23 am
My smallest is 45ml as well. Tempted to brew an 8g dragon ball in it just for fun.

Too busy grocery shopping and cooking today that I completely missed Bok ‘s ROC offering! Wasn’t even fast enough to leave a comment (hence, venting here). The pot looks so good!
Haha yes, that one broke the record...
Mark-S

Tue May 19, 2020 5:03 am

Chadrinkincat wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 7:08 pm
Why is the description questionable?

99% chance that statement is true.
Because this teapot and description literally scream "I am an antique. Buy me!" :lol: And @OCTO did not seem to be impressed by it (he did not even know the price). For $100-150 I would have bought this teapot, but not for over $700 (including shipping).

Nice 1940's pot by the way :)

-

This photo is of my newest shui ping teapot. I'll show more/better photos this week when I got more time.
Attachments
Shui Ping.jpeg
Shui Ping.jpeg (117.03 KiB) Viewed 4671 times
OCTO

Tue May 19, 2020 6:03 am

Chadrinkincat wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 7:08 pm
Why is the description questionable?

99% chance that statement is true.
There is no dispute about the description. But I believe it is not a blanket indication of age for all the items.

Mark-S wrote:
Because this teapot and description literally scream "I am an antique. Buy me!" :lol: And OCTO did not seem to be impressed by it (he did not even know the price). For $100-150 I would have bought this teapot, but not for over $700 (including shipping).

These are pots we get for free and in turn repurpose them into cute teapot flowerpots.... hahahaha.... Seriously, it's a waste of time and money. A replica 70s green label at US$100 is a better pot than this.

Mark-S wrote:
This photo is of my newest shui ping teapot. I'll show more/better photos this week when I got more time.
First step to proper identification is to recognise the correct orientation of the seal..... (whispering to @Mark-S)... your photo is upside-down... hahahaha....

my 2cent's worth... cheers!!
Bok
Vendor

Tue May 19, 2020 6:15 am

ezpzeke wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 9:31 pm
hello everyone!

just caught up with this forum (read through all 2000+ posts, that was a real trip. :shock: )

as someone who primarily knows/collects modern yixing (via m&l, yinchen, and the like), i must say that i appreciate the knowledge you've all shared about lqer and factory period clay!

i'm certainly looking forward to delving more into the wide world of yixing!

which brings me to the following:

i recently saw this advert posted from a local antique shop, and thought that the clay didn't look half bad; what intrigues me most is the metal (pewter?) fittings and the differing material handle/spout.

i'm wondering if you all have seen pots like this before, and am curious of what you all think about this piece in particular:

Wouldn’t waste any money on this. Typical pretend-to-be-old-but-just-garbage teapot. I see them in the 1000s gathering dust on various shelves... don’t buy!
Mark-S

Tue May 19, 2020 6:16 am

@OCTO

It's interesting that you think this $550-$750 pot is not worth anything. Especially, since @Chadrinkincat said that "the person that put in winning bid is very knowledgeable about antique pots." Maybe it's because you are not from the West?

Regarding the new pot: Yeah, I know. It's not me holding the pot. :lol: I tried to turn the image but it looked weird that way.
Last edited by Mark-S on Tue May 19, 2020 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.