Yixing

DailyTX
Posts: 369
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:43 pm
Location: Northern California

Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:24 pm

Mark-S wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:03 pm
Youzi wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:17 am
Image
Is the JDTF pot on this picture? I think these JDTF pots could be similar to my recent "fake" pot.

Balthazar

"F1 90s clay" is more special than "random studio's 2018" clay in my opinion. :lol: Of course that does not say much about the clay's quality. The teapot was sold by pu-erh.sk in 2018 for about $100 and he wants about $70 for it. I think I will take a pass on it. But maybe, I will buy a teapot with another shape of this studio some time.
Image
@Mark-S
Here is a western shop that sells JDTF pots
https://www.chawangshop.com/tea-hardwar ... 170cc.html

I don’t know enough about Hong Ni to give you input on quality, maybe others can chime in.

There may be a difference between fake shui ping and JDTF pots
User avatar
Youzi
Posts: 326
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:03 pm
Location: Shaxi, Yunnan, China
Contact:

Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:34 pm

Mark-S wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:03 pm
Youzi wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:17 am
Image
Is the JDTF pot on this picture? I think these JDTF pots could be similar to my recent "fake" pot.

Balthazar

"F1 90s clay" is more special than "random studio's 2018" clay in my opinion. :lol: Of course that does not say much about the clay's quality. The teapot was sold by pu-erh.sk in 2018 for about $100 and he wants about $70 for it. I think I will take a pass on it. But maybe, I will buy a teapot with another shape of this studio some time.
Image
There is no Fake pot on the Picture. There's one 90s Hongni, JDTF "Zhuni" aka Hongi I think, then an F1 white label Hongni. (Try to guess which is which ;) )
There isn't much specialness in 90s F1 clay.
User avatar
steanze
Posts: 636
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:17 pm
Location: USA

Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:02 pm

90s F1 hongni is not particularly great. Having 1 pot from the period can make sense if you are collecting for historical purposes. But the good hongni in F1 is pre 1977
User avatar
Youzi
Posts: 326
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:03 pm
Location: Shaxi, Yunnan, China
Contact:

Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:10 pm

@Mark-S

As @steanze said, if you want good F1 clay you have to go pre 80s. or maybe pre 82 is also okay.
Mark-S
Posts: 574
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:05 pm
Location: Germany

Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:19 pm

@DailyTX
Thanks for the link. The JDTF pot I found is made from Zini. $70 for a Hong Ni pot would be great. :)

@Youzi
I would never buy the pot on the right, but the other ones look good. Maybe the pot on the left is the JDTF pot? When I got my light box I can show you pictures of the clay of my teapots. I'd like to know your opinion about the right pot's clay. In my view it's decent but not as good as the other two pots.

@steanze
What about Zini from this era?
Last edited by Mark-S on Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Youzi
Posts: 326
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:03 pm
Location: Shaxi, Yunnan, China
Contact:

Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:31 pm

@Mark-S
I'd like to know your opinion about the right pot's clay. In my view it's decent but not as good as the other two pots.
Are you talking about my pots or yours? I couldn't deduct which image you are referring to. Could you edit please? Sorry for my inability.. :D

The left pot on my picture is the JDTF "Zhuni"=Hongni, the middle one is a No Name 90s Hongni and the RIGHT left one is the White Label F1 Hongni.

Most pots after 80 have barium added, and the clay processing technique is the same as the modern day one. So there is not much difference.
Only construction techniques and style is quite different now from the 90s era. That's why I referred to JDTF as an alternative, because their style is more similar to that of the 90s aka No Bling Bling.
Last edited by Youzi on Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark-S
Posts: 574
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:05 pm
Location: Germany

Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:38 pm

@Youzi

Sorry for the confusion. I was talking about my pot on the right. viewtopic.php?p=23569#p23569

Nice, so I was right about the JDTF pot. 8-)
The one on the right is White Label F1? To me the No Name 90s Hong Ni pot and my "fake" or No Name Hong Ni pot (whatever you'd like to call it) look much better. I don't think I'll get a White Label F1 pot any time soon. :lol:
Last edited by Mark-S on Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark-S
Posts: 574
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:05 pm
Location: Germany

Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:43 pm

Youzi wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:31 pm
Most pots after 80 have barium added
Yeah, I have read that multiple times. :?
I guess it's not possible to see it with your eyes if barium carbonate was added or not. Right?
User avatar
steanze
Posts: 636
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:17 pm
Location: USA

Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:55 pm

Mark-S wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:19 pm
steanze
What about Zini from this era?
Zini from the 90s is hit or miss, need to evaluate case by case. From the 80s is better. From green label or earlier even better. The best F1 zini imo is the 60s-early 70s jiazini, but it is not very cheap...

There is also good post 2000s zini, it just becomes more difficult to evaluate and you need to look case by case with a fair amount of experience.
User avatar
steanze
Posts: 636
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:17 pm
Location: USA

Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:56 pm

Youzi wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:31 pm

The left pot on my picture is the JDTF "Zhuni"=Hongni, the middle one is a No Name 90s Hongni and the left one is the White Label F1 Hongni.
yes, that workmanship is clearly too good for F1 90s hongni :D
User avatar
Youzi
Posts: 326
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:03 pm
Location: Shaxi, Yunnan, China
Contact:

Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:00 pm

Mark-S wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:38 pm
Youzi

Sorry for the confusion. I was talking about my pot on the right. viewtopic.php?p=23569#p23569

Nice, so I was right about the JDTF pot. 8-)
The one on the right is White Label F1? To me the No Name 90s Hong Ni pot and my "fake" or No Name Hong Ni pot (whatever you'd like to call it) look much better. I don't think I'll get a White Label F1 pot any time soon. :lol:
Yes, the JDTF is the nicest of the 3. Although I really Like the feel of my F1, kinda like the tool marks on it, and love the narrowing handle.
I think the difference you see with the F1, that you don't like, is the Mesh size. The F1 is much finer and smoother than the others. But a finer mesh doesn't make a pot better or worse necessarily.

I don't see why would it be a "fake" pot. It's not trying to be an F1 or anything. In the 90s there was plenty of independent studios popping up. It's just a rando 90s pot :D (Although it's clay is actually not bad maybe, based on some tests)

As for detecting Barium. You can get an EDXRF machine, or get your pot tested, but both of those options could be more expensive than the pot itself. In your place I'd just assume all pots have various levels of Barium from 1980-Now. And base my purchasing decisions on factoring that in.
User avatar
Bok
Vendor
Posts: 3571
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:55 am
Location: Taiwan

Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:56 pm

One thing to bare in mind is that 90s clay was doped with additives, so 2018 would be my choice over 1990 :) Sorry didn’t see the latest replies, all answered already :mrgreen:
Chadrinkincat
Posts: 691
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:16 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Contact:

Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:11 pm

DailyTX wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:24 pm
Mark-S wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:03 pm
Youzi wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:17 am
Image
Is the JDTF pot on this picture? I think these JDTF pots could be similar to my recent "fake" pot.

Balthazar

"F1 90s clay" is more special than "random studio's 2018" clay in my opinion. :lol: Of course that does not say much about the clay's quality. The teapot was sold by pu-erh.sk in 2018 for about $100 and he wants about $70 for it. I think I will take a pass on it. But maybe, I will buy a teapot with another shape of this studio some time.
Image
Mark-S
Here is a western shop that sells JDTF pots
https://www.chawangshop.com/tea-hardwar ... 170cc.html

I don’t know enough about Hong Ni to give you input on quality, maybe others can chime in.

There may be a difference between fake shui ping and JDTF pots
$265 for that JDTF pot? 😂 Not sure why anyone would play anywhere near that price for a late 90’s pot w/ very mediocre clay/aesthetics.
Mark-S
Posts: 574
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:05 pm
Location: Germany

Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:20 pm

@Chadrinkincat

The modern ones are not that expensive and look a lot better. In my opinion they would be worth considering if it does not need to be something vintage/antique.

https://www.pu-erh.sk/filter/?categories=yixing-all
Chadrinkincat
Posts: 691
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:16 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Contact:

Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:21 pm

Mark-S wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:38 pm
Youzi

Sorry for the confusion. I was talking about my pot on the right. viewtopic.php?p=23569#p23569

Nice, so I was right about the JDTF pot. 8-)
The one on the right is White Label F1? To me the No Name 90s Hong Ni pot and my "fake" or No Name Hong Ni pot (whatever you'd like to call it) look much better. I don't think I'll get a White Label F1 pot any time soon. :lol:
Your pot isn’t a “fake” unless vendor told you it was F1 or the design is a clear copy of a specific era.

Also if you are concerned about BaCO3 than you should avoid late 90-2000’s pot since those are typically worse than F1.
Post Reply