Early Factory FB page is closing...

Bok
Vendor

Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:42 am

For those who might have not seen it yet, the FB early teapots group is closing this month. Content will stay available, but new postings are no longer possible.

Statement reads: What could have been said, has been said, the rest is saliva :lol:

Guess the admins grew tired of reigning in a few rotten eggs... Still a shame that one of the few trustworthy places to check on authenticity is inactive now.
Victoria
Admin

Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:45 pm

Do you mean Early Tea Pots II FB group? That would be unfortunate! I can’t see it’s predecessor
Chris

Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:05 pm

That's unfortunate! I've learned a lot from that group and felt welcome the few times I posted.

Anecdotally, I feel like there's a surprising amount of rule-breaking posts (despite the group's rules being quite straightforward) and obvious non-Factory pots posted. I can see why they might want to call it a day. It's good the past posts will stay up so people can still learn from them; there's a huge amount of info there.
Bok
Vendor

Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:11 pm

Victoria wrote:
Do you mean Early Tea Pots II FB group? That would be unfortunate! I can’t see it’s predecessor
There never was a Early Pots I group. It’s in reference to the book. Chronologically there was a book I planned with pre-factory Yixing. That plan has been abandoned a long time ago by Dr Lu. Book III would have been ornamented Yixing, also cancelled.
Chadrinkincat

Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:00 pm

I’m sad to hear this group closing.

It’ll still be the #1 FB group for F1 knowledge even w/o new post though. Glad to see it will still be up for viewing.
.m.

Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:03 pm

Bok wrote:
Victoria wrote:
There never was a Early Pots I group. It’s in reference to the book. Chronologically there was a book I planned with pre-factory Yixing. That plan has been abandoned a long time ago by Dr Lu. Book III would have been ornamented Yixing, also cancelled.
Dr. Lu writes in the comments of the closing post, that volumes 1 and 3 are in the process of writing but under different editors.
Bok
Vendor

Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:33 pm

.m. wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:03 pm
Bok wrote:
Victoria wrote:
Dr. Lu writes in the comments of the closing post, that volumes 1 and 3 are in the process of writing but under different editors.
He mentioned that a long time ago to me that someone wanted to finish the rest. Not sure if it’s going to be to the same standard as his one. And more importantly if they are going to have new pictures of previously unseen pots. The other books have a tendency of repeating already published teaware...
.m.

Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:41 am

@Bok The quality is indeed a big question. Dr. Lu probably had his own reason to leave the project. But I imagine he must have had a lot of interesting material prepared.
There's likely enough interest from the publishing house for the two books to be finished in some form. However, as you say, repeating the same that's been already published elsewhere might be a safe way for the editors to avoid much conflict with some interest groups.
OCTO

Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:01 pm

The world of Yixing teapots is a world full of conflicts and conflicting information.... sometimes the root is the lack of information... hahaha....

Hence, it's good to adopt a "agree to disagree" mindset when it comes to all areas concerning Yixing teapots. No one book is a "know it all" encyclopaedia of Yixing teapots and no one author has the ability and resources to claim "I have seen it all!"... so up till today, it's a learning process for all involved and it's a curve I don't see an end to it.

Cheers!!!
Bok
Vendor

Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:07 pm

OCTO wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:01 pm
Hence, it's good to adopt a "agree to disagree" mindset when it comes to all areas concerning Yixing teapots. No one book is a "know it all" encyclopaedia of Yixing teapots and no one author has the ability and resources to claim "I have seen it all!"... so up till today, it's a learning process for all involved and it's a curve I don't see an end to it.
Wise words...