Gaiwans: Short & Wide or Tall & Narrow?

mbanu

Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:12 pm

Even though I am usually in the short & wide camp for teapots, this shape irrationally bothers me with gaiwans, I think because I don't really like grabbing a teacup like I'd grab a sandwich.

Does anyone know anything about the history of these two styles of gaiwan? Did they develop at the same time, or was one invented later than the other to solve some sort of problem? When do you prefer one shape over another?
pantry

Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:56 pm

mbanu wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:12 pm
Even though I am usually in the short & wide camp for teapots, this shape irrationally bothers me with gaiwans, I think because I don't really like grabbing a teacup like I'd grab a sandwich.

Does anyone know anything about the history of these two styles of gaiwan? Did they develop at the same time, or was one invented later than the other to solve some sort of problem? When do you prefer one shape over another?
I like the short & wide due to its ergonomics--just easier to grab for me. I don't know about the actual gaiwan history, but generally short and wide drink wares are supposed to be for the Summer, while tall and narrower ones are for the colder months. The simple reason is that wider and shallower cups allow for faster cooling. You can see that in the chawan used in Japanese tea ceremony as well.
Bok
Vendor

Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:25 am

Essential for an easy to use gaiwan is that the rime is flaring widely, facing away from the body as much as is possible and practical. If the rim is to straight upwards-facing, it will get too hot to hold. People's bad experience with gaiwans often come from a badly designed vessel. If done well, gaiwan brewing is very easy and finger-burn-free.

I believe that this kind of straight gaiwan shape(often seen on Qing period drawings or photographies, is not meant for brewing, but rather to drink from it straight away. The design does not make sense otherwise.