Looking to pair some pots. Ideas on where to begin?

gradiva

Sat May 30, 2020 10:41 am

Bok wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 10:03 am
Nice and interesting progress you made there! Very diligent and patient.

I’d add one caveat: some clays, especially if they are new, do only show their full potential after a while of being used. I’m my experience, especially Zini can take some time until it’s at its best.
I will keep in mind. I will be especially patient with the one labeled as dicaoqing, and not only because it had a bit more range than the other Zinis, but also because the shape that is quite forgiving. On the other hand, the Ti Liag is a bit of a pain in the ass, so I might not be as patient with it... Also, got ahold of another Zini. Round, low profile, good clay, but slow pour speed so I can also see that narrowing down the possibilities. It already seems like a really good dark rolled oolong pot. Maybe hong cha.
gradiva

Sat May 30, 2020 10:55 am

@faj
Thanks so much for the reply. Just a question: the Kobiwako makes Japanese greens in general sweeter or is it more specific to types?

Btw, Zhuni I have is also from M&L. It’s a Wen Dan. 120ml. 10 sec pour or so, so we’ll see how all that factors in next. So far, I found that the clay did much better with green oolongs in comparison with everything else. Also with the couple of yanchas I drink somewhat regularly as well as with a Taiwanese black, an unsmoked Lapsang and Oriental Beauty. Which shape and size is your zhuni, apropos of all of this?
faj

Sat May 30, 2020 11:07 am

gradiva wrote:
Thanks so much for the reply. Just a question: the Kobiwako makes Japanese greens in general sweeter or is it more specific to types?
It makes plain water sweet, so not related to tea type. Whether that effect is welcomed or not will be highly dependent on the tea and on your preferences.
gradiva wrote:
Which shape and size is your zhuni, apropos of all of this?
Julunzhu, about 100ml. It is surely not zhuni as meant when referring to antique or high-end teapots, but it does not seem to be very porous or muting.
gradiva

Sat May 30, 2020 11:15 am

faj wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 11:07 am
Julunzhu, about 100ml. It is surely not zhuni as meant when referring to antique or high-end teapots, but it does not seem to be very porous or muting.
Oh! I wanted to get that one, but they were out. Love the shape. And regarding it not being muting, in an experiment with an Iron Goddess it not only didn’t mute it but actually made the flavors richer and clearer than porcelain, so that was nice.

And regarding the Kobiwako, sweetening is a good thing for me. Thanks!