Song to Ming Dynasty pottery

Chadrinkincat

Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:43 am

I’ve noticed a couple western tea vendors are selling antique Chinese pottery from as far back as Song Dynasty but prices seem low.

Is it actually possible to buy authentic 400-800yr old bowls, cups and plates for $100-300?
.m.

Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:55 am

Some of the shipwreck excavations, such as Hoi An, could be have quite cheaply. The problem is that the longer these pieces have been burried under the sea the more is the glaze abrazed -- lot of them are not suitable for drinking anymore (they don't feel nice on the contact with the lip).
DailyTX

Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:16 am

Chadrinkincat wrote:
I’ve noticed a couple western tea vendors are selling antique Chinese pottery from as far back as Song Dynasty but prices seem low.

Is it actually possible to buy authentic 400-800yr old bowls, cups and plates for $100-300?
@Chadrinkincat
I also looked at them recently and compared them with pieces in auctions from the west. The western vendors are selling food plates and bowls used by common people. Most of them have very little to none art values, so perfect for use as tea plate or tea bowl. I think the Chinese market called those old items rather than true antique. I remembered a few years ago, I picked up a stack of double happiness bowls that’s probably from Qing dynasty here in California through an estate seller for like $20 :lol: one of them with hair line is holding my fish food now
pantry

Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:09 pm

I’m also curious how one could be sure that a plain looking celadon plate is from Song Dynasty without carbon dating (which I doubt was performed).

An antique dealer at a flee market in Bangkok once told me that most of their finds (Yixing teapots, Ming plates) were found buried in Cambodia, not from shipwreck. Asking price were comparable to these western vendors, but probably open to haggling
Hmm

Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:18 pm

DailyTX wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:16 am
Chadrinkincat wrote:

Chadrinkincat
I also looked at them recently and compared them with pieces in auctions from the west. The western vendors are selling food plates and bowls used by common people. Most of them have very little to none art values, so perfect for use as tea plate or tea bowl. I think the Chinese market called those old items rather than true antique. I remembered a few years ago, I picked up a stack of double happiness bowls that’s probably from Qing dynasty here in California through an estate seller for like $20 :lol: one of them with hair line is holding my fish food now
I would have huge doubts if someone labeled any of their pieces Song or Yuan. Even if it were Song or Yuan, what's the chances it was buried.

Ming is more likely. And if they were kitchen pieces, for common folk, then they shouldn't be too expensive. Although western tea vendors are probably charging 2-3x more than the cost on ebay, if you have some knowledge of what to look for.

19th century Qing pieces can be gotten for really cheap. Just look up e.g. Canton/Nanjing export pieces. Small plates can often be picked up for a $10-20.
Chadrinkincat

Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:24 pm

Interesting feedback.

Guess I just assumed stuff this old would have a higher value regardless of quality.
TheEssenceofTea
Vendor

Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:34 am

Song dynasty plates that have been buried are not that uncommon in China. The price isn't so high since the skills at that time weren't developed to the level of Ming Dynasty porcelain. Ming cups start to get more expensive and are less common, but plates and shallow bowls are still relatively accessible.

The prices for everyday wares are still quite reasonable for all these antique ceramics, especially if you don't mind a hairline or small chip. The more refined pieces go up in price with a steep curve.
OCTO

Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:50 am

TheEssenceofTea wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:34 am
Song dynasty plates that have been buried are not that uncommon in China. The price isn't so high since the skills at that time weren't developed to the level of Ming Dynasty porcelain. Ming cups start to get more expensive and are less common, but plates and shallow bowls are still relatively accessible.

The prices for everyday wares are still quite reasonable for all these antique ceramics, especially if you don't mind a hairline or small chip. The more refined pieces go up in price with a steep curve.
+1