XiaoMingJia pots from 80s

DailyTX

Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:21 pm

This is another yixing zisha question that I have been searching for a answer for few years off and on. Most people who are into yixing know about Factory 1 pots. Once in a while, I noticed people would sell/swap Xiao Ming Jia pots from the 80s. Anyone know where I can find more info about those pots?
Bok
Vendor

Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:28 am

DailyTX wrote:
This is another yixing zisha question that I have been searching for a answer for few years off and on. Most people who are into yixing know about Factory 1 pots. Once in a while, I noticed people would sell/swap Xiao Ming Jia pots from the 80s. Anyone know where I can find more info about those pots?
I was probably among them... :)

From experience I can tell you that there isn’t much information on them, even less in English. Which is why many prefer the standard ones, easier to authenticate.
DailyTX

Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:12 am

Bok wrote:
DailyTX wrote:

From experience I can tell you that there isn’t much information on them, even less in English. Which is why many prefer the standard ones, easier to authenticate.
@Bok
Any Chinese text online or list of names of artists? I am curious on how one defines as Xiao Ming Jia. From the text I read online, those are individuals who were semi famous in the 80s. The clay use on Xiao Ming Jia pot tends to be better. Not sure how true that is....
Bok
Vendor

Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:23 am

DailyTX wrote:
Bok wrote:
DailyTX wrote:

Bok
Any Chinese text online or list of names of artists? I am curious on how one defines as Xiao Ming Jia. From the text I read online, those are individuals who were semi famous in the 80s. The clay use on Xiao Ming Jia pot tends to be better. Not sure how true that is....
China has this artist ranking system. Basically if they’re more than ordinary craftsmen they are xiaomingjia, little famous potters, but still below the really famous. So the pots are indeed better made and they were allowed more freedom in their creations alongside access to better clay.

Online there are national ranking lists with all the names in it. Can’t find the link right now. So to answer your question, if the Chinese government says you’re XMJ, you are. All the way from the 80s until the end of factory. If you ask me, most of them are still only kitsch, often not practical. Valued for artistic reasons, often by people who don’t use them... haha
DailyTX

Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:06 am

Bok wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:23 am
DailyTX wrote:
Bok wrote:

Bok
China has this artist ranking system. Basically if they’re more than ordinary craftsmen they are xiaomingjia, little famous potters, but still below the really famous. So the pots are indeed better made and they were allowed more freedom in their creations alongside access to better clay.

Online there are national ranking lists with all the names in it. Can’t find the link right now. So to answer your question, if the Chinese government says you’re XMJ, you are. All the way from the 80s until the end of factory. If you ask me, most of them are still only kitsch, often not practical. Valued for artistic reasons, often by people who don’t use them... haha
@Bok
I see, so the privilege of accessing better clay. Do XiaoMingJia pots go for a higher price?
Bok
Vendor

Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:53 am

DailyTX wrote:
I see, so the privilege of accessing better clay. Do XiaoMingJia pots go for a higher price?
As always with Yixing, there is no clear cut answer to this: it depends. I’d say it depends whose pot it is, the clay, how rare the shape is and so on.
DailyTX

Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:27 pm

Bok wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:53 am
DailyTX wrote:
As always with Yixing, there is no clear cut answer to this: it depends. I’d say it depends whose pot it is, the clay, how rare the shape is and so on.
I should have guessed haha, the zisha rabbit home.