Finally Figured Out which Pot I want

thommes

Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:15 pm

So I've been looking and not buying, looking more, not having anything pot really slap me in the face saying PICK ME PICK ME!!!! The dragon egg shape is nice, but not me. The pear shape is nice, but not me. The oil lamp shape is, well just not right for tea. LOL. So I went for the last month, until I was watching a YouTube video. I really like watching the artisans hand make the pots without a wheel. By shaping it with tools. I will eventually find one of those I like or just get a dragon egg shape. The pot that I saw that says pick me, is mostly cylindrical, with a lid. Yeah. Boring isn't it? but that's so my style. I know the pot was thrown on a pottery wheel, not crafted with tools. I don't remember seeing any teaware like this on vendors. All the stuff I recall seeing was either from molds or handcrafted with tools. Anyone have a good source for thrown pots?
DailyTX

Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:56 pm

thommes wrote:
So I've been looking and not buying, looking more, not having anything pot really slap me in the face saying PICK ME PICK ME!!!! The dragon egg shape is nice, but not me. The pear shape is nice, but not me. The oil lamp shape is, well just not right for tea. LOL. So I went for the last month, until I was watching a YouTube video. I really like watching the artisans hand make the pots without a wheel. By shaping it with tools. I will eventually find one of those I like or just get a dragon egg shape. The pot that I saw that says pick me, is mostly cylindrical, with a lid. Yeah. Boring isn't it? but that's so my style. I know the pot was thrown on a pottery wheel, not crafted with tools. I don't remember seeing any teaware like this on vendors. All the stuff I recall seeing was either from molds or handcrafted with tools. Anyone have a good source for thrown pots?
@thommes
Looks like what you are looking for is a “Jing Lan” style pot if you are still interested in yixing zisha market. You probably won’t find yixing zisha being thrown unless is diluted zisha with other chemicals that changed the raw texture of the clay.
thommes

Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:26 pm

I looked at some images for “Jing Lan” style pots. Some of them come close to the pot I saw in the video. The pot I saw was well take about a third of a pringles can, add a lid, spout and handle. Then scale it about 1/3 smaller? It was just about 100% a cylinder. I do like the “Jing Lan” style pots. I don't really care if this pot it tooled. I sort of expect it to be thrown, but I'm not sure I've ever seen any pots on vendor sites that were thrown on a wheel. Not really sure how I'd know if the pot was thrown or not. Being thrown isn't important. You'd think this shape would be the easiest to form with tools though. I tried to find a pic of what I"m looking for but so far no luck.

Ok found something close. Basic shape is right, but this is a cup rather than a pot and it's bit big.

Bok
Vendor

Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:46 pm

Just a word of caution, cylindrical especially if tall shaped are often terrible with tea. I think it has to do with the geometry and the sharp edges which make for an uneven brewing of the leaves throughout the pot. But I might be wrong.

I like them shape wise as well, but they didn’t work for me when brewing in general.
aet
Vendor

Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:04 pm

I don't know why they call the "mug" as tea pot on Amazon, probably because SEO ( higher probability to be found when people search for brewing vessel ) , as well as the free shipping ( which to US is round 10$ ) on which they getting probably higher search ranking within the Amazon search. Long story short, this is overpriced mug. It even seems like somebody has purchased this on holiday trip in some tourist souvenir shop and put it on the Amzaon ;-) One of those factory 10 CNY mugs on Tao Bao.

" Message from buyer: not a handmade one as advertised ...crossed by Amazon
Message from Amazon: This item was fulfilled by Amazon, and we take responsibility for this fulfillment experience. " ....so it is seem like the Amazon accepts only comments delivered not delivered , very good item. That wouldn't feel like safe place buying any authentic stuff.

Anyway, if you are looking for fully handmade tea pot not made on wheel, then it's good to know that work of the master who makes teapots ( not mugs ) like that starts from around 100$ ( just the work without the clay ) . Students or other beginners might be cheaper. Then of course there is an additional money for clay, time of the person who made an order for that, compensation for broken teapots during the firing in kiln ( unless the clay with chem additives preventing that happen..very common in cheap Yixing pottery ) , and margin of the seller ( which is far more complex to talk about here anyway ;)

So, I'm not sure how important is for you to have no wheel made ( it is still hand made though ) a tea pot, but probably the safest way to choose one like that is to pick the shape which can't be done on wheel. Like a square one or with sharp edges one. Yet , those not necessarily have to be fully hand made, just hand assembled from pre-molded pieces by some simple machine.

If you are looking for the mugs like that, I'd suggest to look for porcelain ones, much more pleasant to use especially when your lips touching the cup when drinking. Drinking directly from the clay pottery might not be pleasant for everybody, since the taste of the clay is much more intensive. I have some Yixing cups at home and personally don't like "licking" the clay when drinking some tea. But again, this is individual. My wife loves Jianshui cups to use for shu puerh for example.
DailyTX

Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:11 pm

The shape of the tea pot does influence many aspects of tea, for example, heat retention, getting tea leaves in, expansion of tea leaves during brewing, getting leaves out when cleaning , pouring experience, dripping/tightness of lid. I guess a simple way to look at this is tell us what tea you plan to brew, since you shared with us that you like cylinder shape, and we can give you ideas where to look ;)
Chadrinkincat

Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:11 pm

Maybe something like this? Very pricy for this though.

http://zishaartgallery.com/product/段泥裙芳壶-za0044/

This one is a nice shape.

You could ask Emmett to find you something in this shape assuming your interested in a yixing.
Tor

Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:21 am

thommes wrote:
The pot that I saw that says pick me, is mostly cylindrical, with a lid.
How about this one?

https://www.mudandleaves.com/store/p569 ... 150ml.html
thommes

Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:47 am

DailyTX wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:11 pm
The shape of the tea pot does influence many aspects of tea, for example, heat retention, getting tea leaves in, expansion of tea leaves during brewing, getting leaves out when cleaning , pouring experience, dripping/tightness of lid. I guess a simple way to look at this is tell us what tea you plan to brew, since you shared with us that you like cylinder shape, and we can give you ideas where to look ;)
This info is good to know. Newbie... and I need to learn how to store my pu ASAP and should be concentrating on that, LOL. I have read that the material of the pot influences the taste, not sure I came across the shape influenced taste as well. BUT, that's ok. While I don't have the time to collect sheng pu, I have time to collect pots. :) So I can get one like this and if it doesn't brew well, OK. :) I actually bought my first clay this week while on vacation in an antique store. I'm sure that it was molded, but it was only $35 and I doubt that I ever brew in it. It's clay with the head of a dragon on the lid and as you pour, the dragon head pops out and then a tongue pops out of the head. Gimmicky, I know.

I started seriously drinking pu a couple months ago and finally got some sheng, which I'm trying for the first time later today. I have another order that has more sheng on the way, but it appears to have gotten sucked into the holiday black hole of shipping. I'll only use pots for pu, most likely have one for sheng and another for shu but will likely collect pots especially the tiny ones.
Last edited by thommes on Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
thommes

Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:07 am

Chadrinkincat wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:11 pm
Maybe something like this? Very pricy for this though.

http://zishaartgallery.com/product/段泥裙芳壶-za0044/

This one is a nice shape.

You could ask Emmett to find you something in this shape assuming your interested in a yixing.
WOWZERS... well yes that's pricey, unless it was the right one. :) I love bamboo but haven't seen a pot with bamboo theme that I like. I've been finding that for pots, the plainer the pot, the more I appreciate it. Yes ok if you read my post about the dragon head lid with the tongue that pops out that isn't plain, but honestly I put the pot back the first time I picked it up and then I eventually went back and got it saying I've never seen a clay pot in an american antique store ever.

Maybe I should find the video which has the teapot and capture a frame that has the contains the pot.
Last edited by thommes on Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
thommes

Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:26 am

Tor wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:21 am
thommes wrote:
The pot that I saw that says pick me, is mostly cylindrical, with a lid.
How about this one?

https://www.mudandleaves.com/store/p569 ... 150ml.html
Yeah I saw the Sangbian shaped pots a couple months ago when I started looking. I did like the simplicity of the shape and it was one that I was considering, but it didn't have that pick me slap me in the face attraction that the pot shape I'm searching for. The Sangbian might be the one that I buy that's handmade as I really like the shape.

I captured the pot...
teapot.PNG
teapot.PNG (22.55 KiB) Viewed 6192 times
.m.

Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:10 am

thommes wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:47 am
I actually bought my first clay this week while on vacation in an antique store. I'm sure that it was molded, but it was only $35 and I doubt that I ever brew in it. It's clay with the head of a dragon on the lid and as you pour, the dragon head pops out and then a tongue pops out of the head.
This sounds like a classic design from late qing/ROC, later produced by Factory 1, and with a great number of modern copies. Show pictures in the Yixing thread.
Baisao

Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:58 pm

If you like upright shapes but want a teapot shape that makes good tea, I recommend the julunzhu shape. Some are more vertical and less round that others. It’s a good compromise and a well regarded shape.

In general, vertical shapes affect tea poorly. I think that the slightly spherical shape of julunzhu helps tame the negatives of a vertical teapot.
Youzi

Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:30 pm

This is kind of cylindrical, maybe too realistic? :D
Attachments
Bamboo duanni teapot
Bamboo duanni teapot
CA85B666-897B-46F7-A0EF-344E4C98BFF9.jpeg (151.16 KiB) Viewed 6088 times
Pants404

Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:11 pm

A seller on eBay named lukevecent has a couple of pots that may be similar to what you are looking for. They are cheaper modern pots, but I have dealt with him previously after being recommended on the old forumImage
Attachments
s-l400 (1).jpg
s-l400 (1).jpg (12.17 KiB) Viewed 6007 times
s-l400.jpg
s-l400.jpg (13.03 KiB) Viewed 6007 times