Puzzled wannabe Yixing buyer

faj

Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:48 pm

archimon wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:21 pm
So, after skimming this thread, I wonder: did you ever end up buying an Yixing pot?
I did purchase a modern Yixing pot (simple, classic shape, half-handmade). I have nothing bad do say about it, but for lack of experience with better Yixing teapots, I cannot say much except that it did not seem to harm any tea I have tried with it. I really should do a few head-to-head comparisons to at least contrast it with my other (Japanese) teapots, which I am beginning to know a bit better because I have used them often with the same teas and parameters.

For now I drink mostly Japanese teas, and I have not felt the urge to get more Yixing pots. I have not reached the point where I would consider paying the price of antiques or top-shelf modern pots, but that may come as my drinking evolves and I gain experience.
archimon

Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:02 pm

faj wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:48 pm
archimon wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:21 pm
So, after skimming this thread, I wonder: did you ever end up buying an Yixing pot?
I did purchase a modern Yixing pot (simple, classic shape, half-handmade). I have nothing bad do say about it, but for lack of experience with better Yixing teapots, I cannot say much except that it did not seem to harm any tea I have tried with it. I really should do a few head-to-head comparisons to at least contrast it with my other (Japanese) teapots, which I am beginning to know a bit better because I have used them often with the same teas and parameters.

For now I drink mostly Japanese teas, and I have not felt the urge to get more Yixing pots. I have not reached the point where I would consider paying the price of antiques or top-shelf modern pots, but that may come as my drinking evolves and I gain experience.
Thanks for letting me know how things ended, haha! You say it hasn't done any harm to your teas, but do you think it's done much to help them? I haven't had much Japanese tea personally, but I have a fairly inexpensive Gyokko kyusu sitting around for when I do. Still, I'm planning to grab a Nosaka pot from Hojo for Oolong, so maybe Japanese teaware, anyway, will keep me from jumping down the vintage Yixing rabbit hole for a little while even if my tea-drinking habits won't ;)
faj

Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:06 pm

archimon wrote:
Thanks for letting me know how things ended, haha! You say it hasn't done any harm to your teas, but do you think it's done much to help them?
In my experience, the right teapot will bring a little something extra that adds to the experience, but when a teapot makes too big a difference, it tends to be for the worse. And a teapot will not compensate for bad water or make otherwise poor tea good, let alone great. A fine teapot will not save you money by getting good results from so-so leaf ; rather, it will make you spend more money by making your experience with good teas just a bit better.

Though really not being a collector at heart, I have found teapots to be satisfying to look at and manipulate for reasons I will not try to fully explain. There is a reason people tend to collect them. TAD is real. Run away while you still can... :lol:
archimon wrote:
I haven't had much Japanese tea personally, but I have a fairly inexpensive Gyokko kyusu sitting around for when I do.
My first kyusu was from Gyokko. Ever since getting my first pots from Hojo, I have stopped using it. Its clay is too muting to my taste (it is a kind of grayish-yellow clay). Every time I have given it a chance, I was reminded why it had fallen out of favor to start with. In addition to that, while it is entirely fine for what it is, it is not as nice to use as the other ones I have gotten since.
TeaTotaling

Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:48 pm

faj wrote:

Though really not being a collector at heart, I have found teapots to be satisfying to look at and manipulate for reasons I will not try to fully explain. There is a reason people tend to collect them. TAD is real. Run away while you still can... :lol:
@archimon If there is any advice you take, it would be wise to adhere to this. The slope is slippery, the hole runs deep, you might not make it out. If nobody hears from me over an extended period of time, well, I might be too far gone. Farewell friends.

"Trying to save my soul tonight
Oh, it's nobody's fault but mine."
🐰🕳
OCTO

Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:24 am

TeaTotaling wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:48 pm
faj wrote:

archimon If there is any advice you take, it would be wise to adhere to this. The slope is slippery, the hole runs deep, you might not make it out. If nobody hears from me over an extended period of time, well, I might be too far gone. Farewell friends.

"Trying to save my soul tonight
Oh, it's nobody's fault but mine."
🐰🕳

LOL!!... @TeaTotaling you're already swimming at the deeper end!!.... No harm taking a deeper dive.... We will welcome you with open arms!!.... hahahahahaha......
archimon

Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:01 am

In my experience, the right teapot will bring a little something extra that adds to the experience, but when a teapot makes too big a difference, it tends to be for the worse. And a teapot will not compensate for bad water or make otherwise poor tea good, let alone great. A fine teapot will not save you money by getting good results from so-so leaf ; rather, it will make you spend more money by making your experience with good teas just a bit better.

Although it certainly would be nice to save a bit of money on the tea itself, I suppose the ultimate goal is to have the best tea-drinking experience possible. The rabbit hole vibes are pretty strong, though :D I have to imagine with an expensive new teapot, particularly if devoted only to a single type of tea, it truly is only a matter of time before one feels the need to find it some friends!
My first kyusu was from Gyokko. Ever since getting my first pots from Hojo, I have stopped using it. Its clay is too muting to my taste (it is a kind of grayish-yellow clay). Every time I have given it a chance, I was reminded why it had fallen out of favor to start with. In addition to that, while it is entirely fine for what it is, it is not as nice to use as the other ones I have gotten since.
After a warning, some enabling :lol: I think my Gyokko is a bit different, and perhaps less porous. Maybe i'll end up throwing some sencha into the Nosaka to compare.... So it begins, i suppose :)

Here's the Gyokko pot (mine's the one on the right, the 170ml one):

faj

Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:33 am

archimon wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:01 am
I think my Gyokko is a bit different, and perhaps less porous.
Your kyusu is obviously very different (wood fired?). My comment was only valid for mine, not intended as a general remark about all Gyokko teapots.
TeaTotaling

Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:49 pm

@OCTO Right! I’m definitely treading water in the deep end, no doubt. Stop grabbing at my leg to pull me under, though 😂 I know misery loves company down in the depths.

PS I may have another one on the way, strange times. Sinking slowly.
OCTO

Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:18 pm

TeaTotaling wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:49 pm
OCTO Right! I’m definitely treading water in the deep end, no doubt. Stop grabbing at my leg to pull me under, though 😂 I know misery loves company down in the depths.

PS I may have another one on the way, strange times. Sinking slowly.
@TeaTotaling

I'm just down here waiting for you..... enjoy the decent...... you'll be here in no time.... hahahahaha..... I'll keep the seat warm for you.