Yixing

carogust
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:40 pm
Location: Finland

Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:47 am

klepto wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:58 am
Has anyone noticed that different yixing teapots can change the texture of the tea as it goes down your throat? I was giving one of my teapots that gets ignored some love and I noticed that the tea I had before which had a silk smooth texture was rough and almost scratchy. This teapot is a bronze grade CP teapot and I was previously using an F1 green label pot.
Interesting that I'm not alone on this... I have a nixing teapot that brings out irritating throat roughness with lower quality roasted teas (but not with high quality ones), adds depth to pu-erhs and softens aromatics of light oolong without muting them, yet it tends to mute darker oolongs more (not much, just a tad)... Kinda unpredictable on how it performs.
User avatar
OCTO
Posts: 684
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:25 pm
Location: Penang, Malaysia

Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:27 am

Bok wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:46 am
klepto wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:58 am
Has anyone noticed that different yixing teapots can change the texture of the tea as it goes down your throat? I was giving one of my teapots that gets ignored some love and I noticed that the tea I had before which had a silk smooth texture was rough and almost scratchy. This teapot is a bronze grade CP teapot and I was previously using an F1 green label pot.
Haha, you’re doomed now that you discovered the subtleties of clays :)
@klepto

You’re definitely seeing some light at the end of the tunnel!!! If you focus your vision hard enough, you’ll see me waving back at you!! 👋🏻 👋🏻👋🏻 Yes indeed you’re on the right path....

It’s a whole new world!! A dazzling place I never knew.... 🎼🎤🎷🎻🎶🎵

Do you have a porcelain Gaiwan and cups that are neutral in brewing?? Do a side by side comparison test... you will find it to be even more exciting!.... hahahahaha.... I have a pot that adds a sweet aftertaste in my mouth for ShouPuerh... well.. that’s another story 🤣🤣🤣.

Cheers!!
Chadrinkincat
Posts: 691
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:16 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Contact:

Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:30 am

klepto wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:58 am
Has anyone noticed that different yixing teapots can change the texture of the tea as it goes down your throat? I was giving one of my teapots that gets ignored some love and I noticed that the tea I had before which had a silk smooth texture was rough and almost scratchy. This teapot is a bronze grade CP teapot and I was previously using an F1 green label pot.
Body/texture is prob #1 reason many of us are using yixing teapots.

Very porous pots are only ones that have given me the rough and scratchy feel.
User avatar
klepto
Posts: 271
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:24 pm
Location: Floridaman, USA

Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:09 am

@Bok @OCTO @Chadrinkincat I use gaiwans the first time I try a tea. So I've noticed the disturbance in the force but I can't use the force, that hurts :(. I now see myself owning more pots now or I could just take OCTO's collection :mrgreen:
User avatar
OCTO
Posts: 684
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:25 pm
Location: Penang, Malaysia

Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:36 pm

klepto wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:09 am
Bok OCTO Chadrinkincat I use gaiwans the first time I try a tea. So I've noticed the disturbance in the force but I can't use the force, that hurts :(. I now see myself owning more pots now or I could just take OCTO's collection :mrgreen:
@klepto

Hahahahaha..... the force is strong 💪🏻
ezpzeke
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:57 pm

Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:23 pm

hello everyone!

a private seller that i'm talking with has mentioned that this piece was initially sold to him being indicated as either late qing or early roc.

i'm always skeptical when i hear this kind of statement, hah!

i think that the craftsmanship appears to resonate with some examples i've seen from that period, but i figured i'd ask you all your opinion? i'm certainly no expert. 😅

thanks! 🙏🏻

09F077A9-F083-4C04-841C-F90D0ECB07E1.jpeg
09F077A9-F083-4C04-841C-F90D0ECB07E1.jpeg (338.33 KiB) Viewed 353 times
A254FAC4-37C4-4C27-A798-188C6E64399A.jpeg
A254FAC4-37C4-4C27-A798-188C6E64399A.jpeg (293.34 KiB) Viewed 353 times
1AF63BA9-2552-48A8-AFA1-3AF00AA351B4.jpeg
1AF63BA9-2552-48A8-AFA1-3AF00AA351B4.jpeg (276.84 KiB) Viewed 353 times
3695D67B-9940-4F8C-8F5C-7A9E732BD451.jpeg
3695D67B-9940-4F8C-8F5C-7A9E732BD451.jpeg (389.11 KiB) Viewed 353 times
51BEF19F-9228-44B4-AB79-99010906E462.jpeg
51BEF19F-9228-44B4-AB79-99010906E462.jpeg (273.89 KiB) Viewed 353 times
C4DEEBA8-41E7-4823-B5CD-800D5AE024EE.jpeg
C4DEEBA8-41E7-4823-B5CD-800D5AE024EE.jpeg (478.05 KiB) Viewed 353 times
5E145AC5-4541-4E6F-8A12-2D9A5FCA458B.jpeg
5E145AC5-4541-4E6F-8A12-2D9A5FCA458B.jpeg (360.06 KiB) Viewed 353 times
7AF3CADE-3AE4-47AD-934F-430EAF72FFD1.jpeg
7AF3CADE-3AE4-47AD-934F-430EAF72FFD1.jpeg (414.62 KiB) Viewed 353 times
29F501D8-9176-4661-8952-8F63D299DA93.jpeg
29F501D8-9176-4661-8952-8F63D299DA93.jpeg (306.86 KiB) Viewed 353 times
User avatar
Bok
Vendor
Posts: 3562
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:55 am
Location: Taiwan

Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:36 pm

@ezpzeke can’t really be sure of anything without clearer pictures overall and in particular of the insides of body and lid.

The underside raises some doubts.

Colour/patina looks on first impression more like it’s a brown Chaozhou, not Yixing.
User avatar
Teas We Like
Vendor
Posts: 82
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:59 pm
Contact:

Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:29 pm

ezpzeke wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:23 pm
hello everyone!

a private seller that i'm talking with has mentioned that this piece was initially sold to him being indicated as either late qing or early roc.

i'm always skeptical when i hear this kind of statement, hah!

i think that the craftsmanship appears to resonate with some examples i've seen from that period, but i figured i'd ask you all your opinion? i'm certainly no expert. 😅

thanks! 🙏🏻
it does not look right to me...
Chadrinkincat
Posts: 691
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:16 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Contact:

Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:34 pm

@ezpzeke

Doesn’t look like yixing. Looks more like a modern CZ pot.
User avatar
OCTO
Posts: 684
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:25 pm
Location: Penang, Malaysia

Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:36 am

@ezpzeke

I concur with @steanze, @Bok and @Chadrinkincat.

The pot looks ChaoZhou and it’s more likely modern than LQ/ER.

Cheers!
ezpzeke
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:57 pm

Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:58 am

i appreciate the feedback, everyone! 🙏🏻
Rmt
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:53 am
Location: Northern Norway

Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:56 pm

Came across a teapot on a local Facebook listing and bought it unseen for 5$. Looked like yixing from the one grainy photo that was posted.

Picked it up and cleaned it as it was pretty grimy. Still some stains left on it. Reckon it might be slip cast. Victoria assumed the same on discord. 500ml, ox lid, with head broken off. Not a lot of tool marks and craftsmanship looks a bit wonky.
72FD5F1E-FA3A-429D-9554-480D1CDA9453.jpeg
72FD5F1E-FA3A-429D-9554-480D1CDA9453.jpeg (298.99 KiB) Viewed 203 times
234B494E-D60F-4A1A-90C0-CED55863A972.jpeg
234B494E-D60F-4A1A-90C0-CED55863A972.jpeg (343.79 KiB) Viewed 203 times
9302DAA3-77EC-4C6C-9F2D-5A270C9DF029.jpeg
9302DAA3-77EC-4C6C-9F2D-5A270C9DF029.jpeg (436.67 KiB) Viewed 203 times
96C6B890-D40E-4EF4-9791-6A9518DEB6EE.jpeg
96C6B890-D40E-4EF4-9791-6A9518DEB6EE.jpeg (236.89 KiB) Viewed 203 times
764B497D-8053-4C67-9C0C-99A0B990ACA0.jpeg
764B497D-8053-4C67-9C0C-99A0B990ACA0.jpeg (306.67 KiB) Viewed 203 times
DailyTX
Posts: 369
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:43 pm
Location: Northern California

Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:40 pm

Rmt wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:56 pm
Came across a teapot on a local Facebook listing and bought it unseen for 5$. Looked like yixing from the one grainy photo that was posted.

Picked it up and cleaned it as it was pretty grimy. Still some stains left on it. Reckon it might be slip cast. Victoria assumed the same on discord. 500ml, ox lid, with head broken off. Not a lot of tool marks and craftsmanship looks a bit wonky.
ImageImageImageImageImage
@Rmt
Looks like molded to me. The material for casting zisha needs to be finer, often you can see a casting line on the handle that’s symmetrical with the line on the body. It’s not a hard rule as people can clean up those lines. Despite of missing the cow head, it may still be a good pot for brewing tea grandpa style :lol:

Here is the discussion a few members had a while back

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=18&p=21360&hilit=Slipcast#p21360
User avatar
OCTO
Posts: 684
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:25 pm
Location: Penang, Malaysia

Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:41 pm

@Rmt

The pot looks pretty decent to me.... with the exception of the decapitated ox.. hahahaha... the clay texture from under the lid points pretty much towards circa 80s factory pot. How does it weigh in your hands? Does it feel weighted or hollow?

My avatar is taken off a 60s Ox pot of the same size... hehehe...

Cheers!!
Rmt
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:53 am
Location: Northern Norway

Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:46 am

Thanks for the replies!
DailyTX wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:40 pm
@Rmt
Looks like molded to me. The material for casting zisha needs to be finer, often you can see a casting line on the handle that’s symmetrical with the line on the body. It’s not a hard rule as people can clean up those lines. Despite of missing the cow head, it may still be a good pot for brewing tea grandpa style :lol:

Here is the discussion a few members had a while back

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=18&p=21360&hilit=Slipcast#p21360
I just got to work, so I haven't got the pot in front of me. There's a definitely a sort of line on the handle, but there's no lines on the body. I'll have a look at the discussion you posted.
OCTO wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:41 pm
@Rmt

The pot looks pretty decent to me.... with the exception of the decapitated ox.. hahahaha... the clay texture from under the lid points pretty much towards circa 80s factory pot. How does it weigh in your hands? Does it feel weighted or hollow?

My avatar is taken off a 60s Ox pot of the same size... hehehe...

Cheers!!
I thought it felt sort of light, not very heavy at least. I'll check again when I get back from work in the afternoon.
Post Reply