Yixing advice

Youzi

Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:53 pm

@TeaTotaling

Knowing the firing temp before you buy a teapot can be useful, but only if you know the more intricate details of firing too.

Single fired, 2x fired. At what temp, for how long, what raw ore is it made of, you need to know the sintering range of that kind of ore type, etc.

Basically what causes the effect of the teapot on the tea is, besides the heat retention curve of it, is the porosity. Which is majorly effected by the firing.

The amount of sintering depends on the temperature and the time it spent at that or other temperatures. Of course there's also a ramp up and a cool down phase etc.

Many intricate details. But since you have the teapot already, this is totally irrelevant for you.

Just try all kinds of the in the teapot and see what you like best.

"The Teapot Chooses the Tea" ;)

Have fun! :D
pantry

Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:40 pm

Youzi wrote:
Single fired, 2x fired. At what temp, for how long, what raw ore is it made of, you need to know the sintering range of that kind of ore type, etc.
@Youzi
Did you actually ask a vendor all these questions before any of your teapot purchases?
TeaTotaling

Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:41 pm

Youzi wrote:
TeaTotaling

Knowing the firing temp before you buy a teapot can be useful, but only if you know the more intricate details of firing too.

Basically what causes the effect of the teapot on the tea is, besides the heat retention curve of it, is the porosity. Which is majorly effected by the firing.

The amount of sintering depends on the temperature and the time it spent at that or other temperatures. Of course there's also a ramp up and a cool down phase etc.

Many intricate details. But since you have the teapot already, this is totally irrelevant for you.

Just try all kinds of the in the teapot and see what you like best.

"The Teapot Chooses the Tea" ;)

Have fun! :D
Brilliant! Thank you @Youzi!

Sometimes it's best not to be overly analytical...sometimes I can't help myself 😔 I desire to know the facts, structure, and function. It's who I am.

At no time did this ever make me question my selection. In fact, knowing about all aspects of my pot from artist, to calligrapher, to clay has allowed me greater capacity to appreciate it. A unique bond has truly formed.

I could have been more studious to better frame my question. The kind folks over @Yann Zisha Gallery have been wonderful, and 🤗 Yanni 🤗 dropped some enlightening information in her two articles.

You say, "The Teapot Chooses the Tea." I hear you, in fact in this situation, the teapot even chose me ♥️
Youzi

Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:54 pm

pantry wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:40 pm
Youzi wrote:
Youzi
Did you actually ask a vendor all these questions before any of your teapot purchases?
No, I don't expect any vendor to know or care about any of these stuff. I just have simple expectations. Zhuni should act as Zhuni, Zini as Zini, and Duanni, Lüni as a surprise.

@TeaTotaling

Zhuni Should only mute bitterness, astringency a little, while increasing body and flavor, and keeping the aroma of the tea.
Zini, should shave more off, mellow out the tea, but keep its character, but I expect some loss in aroma. Hongni is in-between.
Duanni, Lüni is random, but generally more muting than the rest.

Over a Certain Price point I Just expect the firing to be just right, inline with the category, so that what would matter more is the clay processing and then the from and art. The higher you go in price the less these matter (because they should be a basic requirement, and shouldn't even be asked).
TeaTotaling

Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:16 pm

@Youzi Great, thank you for your insight! I appreciate learning from those who have much more experience than I do.

I was totally geeking out 🤓 after too much tea! When in fact it was very simple all along.

Knowing the mastery of 沈美华 Shen Mei Hua, everything else will fall in line as it should, bottom line.

Case Closed. 🔨
OCTO

Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:53 am

OCTO wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:28 am
OCTO wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:14 pm
steanze wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:09 pm
Nice :) How aged is semi-aged? I would use it for puerh that's at least 10-15 years old. It will be always more muting than the modern zhuni
steanze +1

Generally I would avoid using DCQ for Sheng Puerh, with the exception of aged DCQ, which is more commonly sold as Vintage ZiNi as the colour of the clay after firing resembles Vintage ZiNi more than Modern DCQ.
Dug this baby out for a drink.... cheers!!

Revisited one of my favourite tea after a decade. Did a rematch and it's still an amazing match and brings the best of this tea.

Cheers!!

IMG_4621.jpg
IMG_4621.jpg (223.22 KiB) Viewed 5862 times
IMG_4633 2.jpg
IMG_4633 2.jpg (260.89 KiB) Viewed 5862 times
gregcss

Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:09 pm

I was looking into a Di Cao Qing + Duanni pot for aged sheng (10+ years) but now I'm not sure.
StoneLadle

Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:35 pm

gregcss wrote:
I was looking into a Di Cao Qing + Duanni pot for aged sheng (10+ years) but now I'm not sure.
Why not? It's all I use pretty much and it's all I drink most of the time..
StoneLadle

Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:39 pm

OCTO wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:53 am
OCTO wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:28 am
OCTO wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:14 pm

steanze +1

Generally I would avoid using DCQ for Sheng Puerh, with the exception of aged DCQ, which is more commonly sold as Vintage ZiNi as the colour of the clay after firing resembles Vintage ZiNi more than Modern DCQ.
Dug this baby out for a drink.... cheers!!

Revisited one of my favourite tea after a decade. Did a rematch and it's still an amazing match and brings the best of this tea.

Cheers!!

Evil!!! Muahahahaa
gregcss

Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:41 pm

StoneLadle wrote:
gregcss wrote:
A number of responses here suggested it's not a good match. Thanks for the confidence boost though. Maybe I'll give it more time to think about.
TeaTotaling

Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:05 pm

gregcss wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:41 pm
StoneLadle wrote:
gregcss wrote:
A number of responses here suggested it's not a good match. Thanks for the confidence boost though. Maybe I'll give it more time to think about.
Personally, I find my Aged DCQ pot to be a phenomenal match for Aged Sheng.

@StoneLadle is on to something good. He knows. DCQ FTW 🏆
OCTO

Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:14 am

@gregcss

Don’t shy away from DCQ. It’s one of the most versatile clays I’ve come across. It’s strength is also its weakness..... finding a good match for your tea will be tricky. Once found, it’s a match made in tea heaven... hahahahaha.... there is a reason why medium fired DCQ is extremely popular amongst LiuBao drinkers here in Malaysia. I’ve come across DCQ that matches aged shou, young and aged sheng, fresh TGY, medium roast DanCong ... lastly it’s almost a sure match with LiuBao!!

There you go.... 😁😁😁

Cheers!!
gregcss

Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:40 am

@StoneLadle
@TeaTotaling
@OCTO

Thanks for the input
gregcss

Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:47 pm

I've have a few pots that I use today:

Early 90s F2/F5 dark zini that the vendor noted more porous and different than other purple clay. I use this once in a while for aged sheng. It's a bit small (75ml) but is a little too porous i think.

Early 2000s Hong Ni. Vendor noted private order in an after Factory 1 manufactured, in Factory 1 classic shape and quality standard. This teapot is made very well from high quality red clay. I used this for young and aged sheng (I know pick one, note both) and I think it works pretty well. Occasionally accentuates aspects of aged sheng that you might not want. A porcelain gaiwan works just as well.

Modern Jianshui ZItao. Use this for shu. Works well, nothing special. Again, a porcelain gaiwan works just as well.

As noted in my earlier post, I am looking to get a new pot for aged sheng and would get a quality modern pot than hunt down an old factory pot. I've been looking at Yann Zisha Gallery and Yinchen Studio, both claim use of quality clay with no additives. I see a few things I like and would buy them and try them all, but that's not realistic. I get the tea selects the pot and not the other way around, but I would like to ask for general guidance here.

What are your thoughts about these pots here for aged sheng. If it turns our they work better for ripe or young sheng then that's a win too.

Yann - Di Cao Qing + Duanni I have concern that the mixed duanni will make it too porous and zap out the tea. Not much bigger than my dark zini above.
Yann - Lao Zini
Yann - Di Cao Qing this is a big jump in cost from the ones above. A little bigger than I would prefer.
Yinchen - Di Cao Qing this is half the cost of the first two, but probably lower craftsmanship
Last edited by gregcss on Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:22 pm

I have one of the YZG DCQ pots made by Shen Ye Qin. I've been using it with early 2000s sheng and am very happy with it; the tea is smooth, full, and sweet every time. It's almost effortless.

Others here know more than me but I'm very satisfied with my experience. I haven't used a Yinchen DCQ pot, so I can't offer a point of comparison there.