Yixing

Youzi

Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:35 pm

steanze wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:02 pm
Youzi wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:29 pm

I was just trying to refer to that, at least that name actually refers to a type of raw zhuni ore. Ofc they can just use it for whatever they want, but still better than DHP, which is totally undefined, and basically changes by studio, what they call DHP. Just like the term "Lao Zhuni", which also doesn't refer to anything. More of a Style or certain look after firing. Just like Lipini, when not talking about Lüni.
Yes I understood what you meant, that's right, "da hong pao" and "lao zhuni" are more vague. "Lao zhuni" in particular is the one I dislike most, because it's even more misleading.
Usually Lao Zhuni refers to Zhuni which is aged for longer time than usual. And has a lower mesh number, under 80 mu, and not as shiny at the beginning as modern zhuni, also it has more impurities compared to modern zhuni.

Usually when someone says Lao Zhuni, they refer to some random combination of the above attributes.
steanze
Vendor

Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:02 pm

Youzi wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:35 pm
steanze wrote:
Youzi wrote:

I was just trying to refer to that, at least that name actually refers to a type of raw zhuni ore. Ofc they can just use it for whatever they want, but still better than DHP, which is totally undefined, and basically changes by studio, what they call DHP. Just like the term "Lao Zhuni", which also doesn't refer to anything. More of a Style or certain look after firing. Just like Lipini, when not talking about Lüni.
Yes I understood what you meant, that's right, "da hong pao" and "lao zhuni" are more vague. "Lao zhuni" in particular is the one I dislike most, because it's even more misleading.
Usually Lao Zhuni refers to Zhuni which is aged for longer time than usual. And has a lower mesh number, under 80 mu, and not as shiny at the beginning as modern zhuni, also it has more impurities compared to modern zhuni.

Usually when someone says Lao Zhuni, they refer to some random combination of the above attributes.
Right. But "lao zhuni" is also used to refer to late Qing/ROC zhuni. So sometimes "lao zhuni" seems to be used to create the impression that the clay is really old.
OCTO

Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:27 pm

steanze wrote:
Youzi wrote:

Agree with @steanze.

Moral of the story is not to seek after anything that is old or 老 unless one have attained enough knowledge how to ascertain the estimated age of the clay or pot. Personally, if you want to have Lao ZhuNi 老朱泥, you have a better bet of getting one if you buy one that's of age. Take all modern ZhuNi expecting them as brand new, not aged and you won't be disappointed. Over here in South East Asia where buyers are more demanding, we have subcategory of teapots that classifies "Old Clay New Workmanship" and "Old Clay Old Workmanship". I have personally came across replica old pots made out of old clay which looks almost identical to the original pot. The marginal differences between the two were only seen when we placed both old and new side by side. How do we identify them?? Lots of tuition fees paid and the luxury of having the opportunity to touch and explore these pots with our hands. Photo assessment is almost 100% educated guesswork at best as photos will only tell u overall shape and surface workmanship. Hence in the absence of having actual pots in hand, it is advisable to stick to modern pots or factory pots from reliable and trustworthy sources.

my 2cents worth....

Cheers!
OCTO

Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:30 pm

steanze wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:02 pm
Right. But "lao zhuni" is also used to refer to late Qing/ROC zhuni. So sometimes "lao zhuni" seems to be used to create the impression that the clay is really old.

Agreed. The high demand for "Lao ZhuNi" has driven the industry to reproduce pots made of previously stored ZhuNi or with new ZhuNi made to look old and sold off as "Lao ZhuNi" to unsuspecting buyers...

Cheers!
hopeofdawn

Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:24 am

klepto wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:29 pm
pantry wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:53 pm
klepto wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:21 pm
That is a real nightmare, I've had friends attempt to manhandle my teaware. One in particular tried to use Dawn(tm) grease cleanser on one of my clay gaiwans. The gaiwan wasn't that expensive but daaamn I kinda snapped. You could hear me doing the movie sound, "Noooooooooooooooo...".
Whenever I had friends over (pre-COVID days) for tea/meals, I always insisted they do not do my dishes. They thought I was being a gracious host, but really I just didn't want people to touch my delicate wares :lol:
It is probably just instinct for them to throw some dishwashing stuff over everything when they wash dishes. I don't even want dish soap to touch my porcelain mugs TBH.
I actually have a mass-produced tea set I use for casual company, that I can throw in the dishwasher and not worry about. My artisan teaware is reserved for special tea tastings with people I can trust to a) handle them carefully and appropriately and b) small enough gatherings I'm not hand-wiping/sterilizing every cup I own.
Mark-S

Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:53 am

8-)

Not in perfect condition... but I am still very happy with this purchase.
Attachments
2020-04-20-14-46-34-01.jpeg
2020-04-20-14-46-34-01.jpeg (118.94 KiB) Viewed 5074 times
Mark-S

Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:00 am

From the early 80s I think.
Attachments
2020-04-20-14-58-47-01.jpeg
2020-04-20-14-58-47-01.jpeg (99.84 KiB) Viewed 5071 times
Chadrinkincat

Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:47 pm

Mark-S wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:53 am
8-)

Not in perfect condition... but I am still very happy with this purchase.
Nice squirrel & grape pot! Late 80’s 150-250ml?

The other pot seems awkwardly shaped for actual use.
Mark-S

Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:38 pm

@Chadrinkincat
Thanks, it's a 200ml pot. I am not sure about the age because I did not find enough pictures of similar pots.

@theredbaron
Could you please post more pictures of your pot? viewtopic.php?p=20247#p20247

This is the most beautiful F1 pot I have seen so far. Unfortunately, the lid is a bit damaged. Do you know a studio which can fix damaged decorations on Yixing pots? Otherwise, I'll probably ask a local kintsugi artist if she can fix it for a reasonable amount of money. It's a small flaw so hopefully it should not be too expensive.

The second pot looks similar to another pot I own. For these bigger ones you have to use two hands anyway so that's not a problem. It leaks a bit, but that can be fixed in my opinion. Maybe, I will try this sometime.

@OCTO
Have you found some time yet to look at my 3 friends pot?
Chadrinkincat

Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:25 pm

@Mark-S

Have you tried searching this group? There are quite a few examples of this pot.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/twteapo ... 04?sfns=mo
Mark-S

Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:45 pm

@Chadrinkincat
Oh, I could not remember seeing the pot in this group. It looks a bit different. Thanks :) Now I know that 1 squirrel is missing from the lid. That should not be too hard to fix for a potter I think...
mafoofan

Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:53 pm

How much does a Xu Jingen teapot go for? How would one go about ordering from him?
Bok
Vendor

Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:58 pm

Mark-S wrote:
Chadrinkincat
Oh, I could not remember seeing the pot in this group. It looks a bit different. Thanks :) Now I know that 1 squirrel is missing from the lid. That should not be too hard to fix for a potter I think...
Adding a squirrel? That will cost a pretty penny!
Chadrinkincat

Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:13 pm

Mark-S wrote:
Chadrinkincat
This group is a pretty good resource for more decorative designs. Not every post mentions shape so you can find more results by also searching by size in cc, clay or just era.

It would likely cost you more to have this professionally fixed than it would to just buy a mint replacement pot.
Mark-S

Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:25 pm

Chadrinkincat wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:13 pm
It would likely cost you more to have this professionally fixed than it would to just buy a mint replacement pot.
Bok wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:58 pm
Adding a squirrel? That will cost a pretty penny!
How much money are you talking about? I don't think that a tiny squirrel could cost that much. I would be satisfied with a mediocre restauration. It does not have to look exactly as before.