2019 Vendor List

pedant
Admin

Fri May 03, 2019 3:54 pm

i totally see the appeal to something like this, and it doesn't bother me that some people want to avoid searching far and wide (lots of research, asking lots of people for their opinions, sampling teas from 20 shops, ...) to find reputable vendors. this is probably the best way, but it takes time and effort, and it can be hard to know where to start.

however, i still hesitate to maintain a vendor list. i don't want to be a gatekeeper telling people where to shop. i have my own personal preferences and buy stuff that works for me. i'm happy to make personal recommendations for whichever tea, but i haven't tried everything from every vendor. my experience is limited. and just because i had a great experience from a vendor a couple of years ago doesn't mean it guarantees reproducible happiness. also, what would omitting vendors from the list imply about them? is there something wrong with vendor X, or do we just not know much about them? it's hard for me to think of how to do it fairly.

the /r/tea User Choice Vendor List is probably the best possible approach to an impartial vendor list. sure, it's susceptible to being spammed by sock accounts, but it's arguably more fair than a few TF admins maintaining a list. but of course fairness does not guarantee utility either. that list is long but also bears little resemblance to what my personal vendor list would be -- almost none of the top 10 vendors on that list would be on mine. however, people are all at different stages of tea consumerism, and people have different tastes as well. that top 10 list is imo a very accurate reflection of the typical preferences of /r/tea which further signals to me that it was a fair process.
swordofmytriumph

Sat May 04, 2019 6:42 am

The problem with the r/tea list is that it’s so broad, and bewildering for brand new tea drinkers. Maybe a good compromise would be a really short “start here” thread. Nothing comprehensive or in depth, but just a good starting point for fledgling tea lovers. Perhaps a one or two vendors for each type of tea that most of us agree is one of the best. For instance, if someone was interested in exploring Japanese greens, very few people here would argue agains putting O Cha as the only recommendation, at least to start. After all, once someone has dipped their toes in and has a small amount of experience of what they like or dislike, it’s easier for us to make personal recommendations from there than for someone who has no experience at all.

And coming up with such a short list would be easy, and it wouldn’t need any maintenance unless one of the vendors closes shop, plus it would make the starting out with tea a tad bit less bewildering and preserve the hands on discussion based learning we tend to prefer here once they have a small framework for us to build on.
bradenl123

Wed May 08, 2019 12:36 pm

I haven't posted for awhile but I just read some of the responses. Essentially, the Vendor List is an ongoing list. There shouldn't be any omissions and if there is it is by mistake and someone could update the thread to reflect the current list. Vendors from 2015 might not be around in 2020 that is why it is helpful for a newbie to log onto a site and see what vendors there are to buy tea. This affords everyone the opportunity to maybe try a vendor that they never heard about. Of course, there are underlying assumptions when long time tea drinkers post some vendors to a list. That is the great part about it! I as a newbie can see that a more experienced person has had some good tea from "blank" vendors. This doesn't mean I will have the same experience as my pallet is different. I find it more user friendly to be able to go to a master list rather than search through threads. Does that mean I am lazy? I don't think so. If anything this offers the opportunity for people to experience vendors they have never heard of and maybe try some different tea rather than go to the 5 vendors they know of because they don't feel like searching through forums. It is a courtesy for someone to create this for sure. I just find it to be an outstanding resource. Hence, why we have dictionaries, encyclopedias, DSM-5, etc., etc. you get the point. I will begin to work on one if it can't be made.

Example: https://www.home-barista.com/home-roast ... ml#p628127
That is EXTREMELY helpful and has lead me to try different green suppliers for roasting. If anything you are doing vendors a favor by keeping an updated list where people don't have to stumble upon them through pages and pages.

Thanks,

Braden
Tillerman
Vendor

Wed May 08, 2019 3:55 pm

bradenl123 wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 12:36 pm
It is a courtesy for someone to create this for sure. I just find it to be an outstanding resource. Hence, why we have dictionaries, encyclopedias, DSM-5, etc., etc. you get the point.
Interesting, I don't suspect that many people would have chosen DSM-5 as one of their examples.
bradenl123

Thu May 09, 2019 12:50 pm

I was reading a book that was talking about the DSM-5 so for some reason it came to mind when writing that. I don't think very many would either.

Braden