Global Tea Hut

Teachronicles

Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:44 pm

has anyone tried the symphony wild red tea they offer right now?
wildisthewind

Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:08 pm

Teachronicles wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:44 pm
has anyone tried the symphony wild red tea they offer right now?
It's outstanding, one of my favorites in my current collection. 2008 bug-bitten "shan cha". Somewhere in the middle of a darjeeling, dian hong, and bai hao oolong - flavors of honey and spices with lovely aromatics, and good body due to it being a red tea. Really need to grab another bag next time I have $85 to spare, it's such a unique tea.
Guy Juan

Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:13 am

I blind ordered a full cake of Blue Mark from Global Tea Hut. I realize this is a replica but read in another thread a few members talking about how good it was. It’s supposedly late 90’s early 2000’s (marketed as a 2000) at $100 but to me the important thing was trying what others considered a good 20 year Sheng Puerh. I did not have to join the cult to buy it either :mrgreen:

I also have on the way... many Sheng and Shou from Kingteamall (old and young). All samples. The oldest being 2007 DaYi 7542 and 2007 DaYi 7572.

I plan to brew the “Blue Mark” in a porcelain gaiwan then compare with a Huang Long Shan Zhuni pot (modern zhuni) to get a feel for how it affects the tea. After breaking in the new pot, which is a very nice looking little pot.

I’ll post my impressions of the Blue Mark once it arrives. Anyone have good experiences with GTH or the Blue Mark Replica? I’m wondering who made it???
Bok
Vendor

Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:36 am

Zhuni and porcelain should not be very different in their effect on tea. Zhuni is famous because it as dense and impermeable as - porcelain.

P.S. just checked, doesn’t matter, at that price sold it is highly unlikely to be real Zhuni, so all bets are off as to how it will perform.
pedant
Admin

Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:53 am

i have actually still not tried anything from GTH. i look forward to hearing what you think of the tea.
i've heard it's good.

speaking of blue mark (lan yin, 藍印), the one from wistaria is very good. 2007 but somewhat more expensive at ~170usd
.m.

Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:45 am

I've been eying that Blue Mark, after seeing positive reviews. Whether one may like GTH or not, WuDe is knowledgeable about tea, so i'd expect a fair deal for the money.
Balthazar

Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:21 am

That's my impression too. Surprisingly reasonable price/quality ratio on what I have tried (not much) and from what others have written. Considering the "profile" of the page and the center I wouldn't have guessed so.

I too have been eying the Blue Mark replica. Let us know what you think once you've had a few sessions of it :)
Victoria
Admin

Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:39 am

We just discussed GTH Blue Mark. It is good;
viewtopic.php?p=13473#p13473
Victoria wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 4:27 pm
tingjunkie wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 4:11 am
Victoria wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 12:24 am
Global Tea Hut’s 2000 Blue Mark Replica really stood out. Wow, a very clean and crisp Taiwan stored sheng, with lots of energetic rich complex notes of spice and fruit. Members got a little Qi high on this one,
Thanks! Had my eye on this for a while, but your review made me finally pull the trigger. I guess this week all "donations" to GTH are doubled, so it was the right time to go for it.
Oh nice, let us know how you like it. Another member brought it to our last tasting at my place, and two of us thought of buying a cake. I also keep thinking of getting some roasted oolong from them. Have you ordered from there before?
&
Victoria wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:39 pm
oolongfan wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:54 pm
@Victoria - I got the impression that the Blue Mark from Global Tea Hut was shu...based on the color of the cake and the brew in the photos only - I have not yet had this tea. Also the lack of reference to sheng made me think it was shu. Now reading your notes, I am wondering if I am wrong....
Blue Mark is Sheng. I think all the puerh on the site are Sheng. The steep looks over-brewed. Ours had a good clarity. Since I’m not a pu’erh expert, I asked my trusted source Yang-chu, who has a blog PuerhJunky and a huge stash of pu’erh too, some of which he puts up for sale. A friend of his gave him some, he liked it so he shared it with us at my house.
Guy Juan

Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:12 pm

Bok wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:36 am
Zhuni and porcelain should not be very different in their effect on tea. Zhuni is famous because it as dense and impermeable as - porcelain.

P.S. just checked, doesn’t matter, at that price sold it is highly unlikely to be real Zhuni, so all bets are off as to how it will perform.
It’s not real Zhuni...nor do I want it to be. I’m not searching for a pot to change the flavor of the tea although, I know that’s a sought after effect for most tea heads. I only wanted a pot slightly thicker than my porcelain to help retain heat when brewing hot. If it slightly changes the flavor, great. If not, even better. I feel using special clays to make the tea taste better is almost....cheating? But it’s just mud so not cheating too bad :P

I also think your statement on price is a great testament to why you need to be careful buying “real zhuni”. I’m sure there are many here who have real zhuni pots and I’m sure some of them are fakes....and are great for brewing tea nonetheless. Not to mention, you have the ability to mix clays and develope better properties than even the most famous clays.
Guy Juan

Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:14 pm

Victoria wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:39 am
We just discussed GTH Blue Mark. It is good;
viewtopic.php?p=13473#p13473
Victoria wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 4:27 pm
tingjunkie wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 4:11 am

Thanks! Had my eye on this for a while, but your review made me finally pull the trigger. I guess this week all "donations" to GTH are doubled, so it was the right time to go for it.
Oh nice, let us know how you like it. Another member brought it to our last tasting at my place, and two of us thought of buying a cake. I also keep thinking of getting some roasted oolong from them. Have you ordered from there before?
&
Victoria wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:39 pm
oolongfan wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:54 pm
@Victoria - I got the impression that the Blue Mark from Global Tea Hut was shu...based on the color of the cake and the brew in the photos only - I have not yet had this tea. Also the lack of reference to sheng made me think it was shu. Now reading your notes, I am wondering if I am wrong....
Blue Mark is Sheng. I think all the puerh on the site are Sheng. The steep looks over-brewed. Ours had a good clarity. Since I’m not a pu’erh expert, I asked my trusted source Yang-chu, who has a blog PuerhJunky and a huge stash of pu’erh too, some of which he puts up for sale. A friend of his gave him some, he liked it so he shared it with us at my house.
I know I saw! That’s why I bought it :D Thanks!
Guy Juan

Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:22 pm

I just bought a young Sheng from them. Here is the description:

These little cakes are from a small grove of 1,000- to 2,000-year-old trees in Lincang. Each tree is numbered and requires scaffolding to pick. They use bamboo scaffolding that resembles what workers in the West use to paint the outside of a house. The trees are protected, so very little tea is harvested each year and trees are allowed to rest from three to five years, picked in cycles. The absolute best trees are processed individually, which is also rare for puerh. There are a lot of “old-growth” and even “ancient tree” claims in the puerh world that just aren’t true. One sip of this tea and you will know. As Master Lin always says, “If and until you try a fine tea, it is too hard to tell.” This will most likely be the best young sheng puerh you have had in your life. The flavor, aroma and Qi are out of this world, and tasting is believing. This is a very rare and precious opportunity. The High Road is by far the best tea we have ever offered in this Light Meets Light Fundraiser, and that is, frankly, saying a lot, since we have shared some amazing teas over the years. This tea may seem expensive to you, but it is actually very, very cheap. Through a dear friend, the farmers gave us a significant discount and we also didn’t mark the tea up very much. That said, tea of this type is relatively expensive compared to other puerh teas, or even tea in general.

I’m very interested in trying this...did anyone else order it?
Tetsubin

Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:57 am

I have tried a few of their sheng puerh. They all have this shou puerh note to them. Some have more of this "fermented taste" then others. Why is this, does anybody know?
Bok
Vendor

Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:22 am

Tetsubin wrote:
I have tried a few of their sheng puerh. They all have this shou puerh note to them. Some have more of this "fermented taste" then others. Why is this, does anybody know?
Taiwan is humid, their place is half up in the hills, so probably even more wet. So that would hint to slightly improper storage.
oeroe

Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:02 am

Tetsubin wrote:
Which ones? The older shengs have probably seen quite varying storage, and well, aged sheng ferments, if there's enough humidity. Honestly, I have hard time believing that their young sheng would have shou-like taste, but maybe you're really sensitive to the humid climate flavour?
Bok
Vendor

Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:01 am

Well, unless they have a controlled humidity storage, which I highly doubt, their teas can easily get wet (and also mouldy) in no time up in the hills in Miaoli. I’d say one typhoon season is enough to add enough humidity to tea stored in Taiwan to significantly change its character. It’s not as wet as HK but not significantly less so.