The Essence of Tea

TeaTotaling

Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:55 am

I have not stumbled across a thread specifically devoted to discussing all things EoT. ...maybe it exists, and I am just challenged. If so, someone please correct me.

I know EoT has a Facebook discussion related to their monthly Tea Club. I don't have Facebook, and it doesn't seem like much of a discussion, from what I have read. Possibly a few TF friends are already subscribed and we can discuss monthly offerings, along with anything else purchased from EoT. I believe @klepto and @Chadrinkincat are current Tea Club members, and I bet there are a few more. I am currently three months in.

🌱 🌱 🌱
Last edited by pedant on Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod edit: added link to EoT's site
mrmopu

Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:04 pm

Steepster has quite a few EoT reviews if you wanted to read through them. It may give some insight on what you are looking for.
https://steepster.com/search?q=essence+of+tea
pedant
Admin

Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:57 pm

@TeaTotaling there wasn't a generic thread for discussing EoT, but i merged yours into this one that was mostly about their yancha. i figure better to discuss their offerings in a single thread.
TeaTotaling

Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:11 pm

pedant wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:57 pm
TeaTotaling there wasn't a generic thread for discussing EoT, but i merged yours into this one that was mostly about their yancha. i figure better to discuss their offerings in a single thread.
Perfect, thank you!
AgedS

Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:10 pm

TeaTotaling wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:55 am
I know EoT has a Facebook discussion related to their monthly Tea Club. I don't have Facebook, and it doesn't seem like much of a discussion, from what I have read. Possibly a few TF friends are already subscribed and we can discuss monthly offerings, along with anything else purchased from EoT. I believe klepto and Chadrinkincat are current Tea Club members, and I bet there are a few more. I am currently three months in.

🌱 🌱 🌱
I'm in about the same position as you. I've been subscribed for 3-4 months and have been enjoying it. However, I can't manage to drink the volume of tea that comes in, so I will need to pause at some point. Or maybe I just need to learn to drink more tea 😁
faj

Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:19 pm

AgedS wrote:
However, I can't manage to drink the volume of tea that comes in, so I will need to pause at some point. Or maybe I just need to learn to drink more tea 😁
In the recent past I wondered if I should get a subscription (with EoT or otherwise), and the reason I did not is exactly that. For some reason, I feel tea vendors all try to fulfill a need that only a minority drinkers feel they have: receive significant amounts of teas they do not really get to choose. I assume they want to give subscribers the feeling they are getting their money's worth, but in the end too much tea probably gets some people off subscriptions because many want to choose most of what they drink based on, you know, what they like.

I feel there are (at least) two untapped models.

The first is providing smaller amounts of high quality, maybe somewhat exclusive, teas. When you are getting really good tea, it matters less that you do not choose, it seems to me, because it has more of an educational or aspirational value. And smaller amounts of tea leave you free to buy products of your choosing for most of your drinking.

The second is getting customer commitments on minimum amounts of tea in advance, basically a customer fidelity program which secures a chunk of business in return for something (guaranteed availability, reduced price, maybe additional samples or "bonus" teas...).

Nothing prevents a vendor from doing both. Seems to me those two models would reduce the risk of "subscription fatigue" I assume many subscribers eventually run into.
TeaTotaling

Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:22 pm

@AgedS I hear ya! I was already sitting on a stockpile, and now I'm getting buried in tea. I might have to pull the plug as well. I still have 5 more offerings left in my Song Tea subscription, as well. Have you tried the latest Yellow Leaves Yancha offering from EoT??

@faj I am very much in line with EoT's primary focus, Puerh, Yancha, and Liu Bao. I certainly would be inclined to keep it going, but I was already sitting on a few thousand grams prior too. Now I'm swimming in tea. The EoT offerings have been decent, but nothing has really captivated me thus far.
faj

Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:35 pm

TeaTotaling wrote:
faj I am very much in line with EoT's primary focus, Puerh, Yancha, and Liu Bao. I certainly would be inclined to keep it going, but I was already sitting on a few thousand grams prior too. Now I'm swimming in tea. The EoT offerings have been decent, but nothing has really captivated me thus far.
I knew there would be demand for my "less tea but better tea" subscription model. "@faj, tea marketing consultant" : that will be my new business card. :lol:
TeaTotaling

Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:42 pm

faj wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:35 pm
TeaTotaling wrote:
faj I am very much in line with EoT's primary focus, Puerh, Yancha, and Liu Bao. I certainly would be inclined to keep it going, but I was already sitting on a few thousand grams prior too. Now I'm swimming in tea. The EoT offerings have been decent, but nothing has really captivated me thus far.
I knew there would be demand for my "less tea but better tea" subscription model. "faj, tea marketing consultant" : that will be my new business card. :lol:
I'm finding that is precisely what Song Tea is going for. It's 6 offerings spread over the course of a year, so a delivery every two months. Peter focuses on a highly curated approach, whereas EoT seems to be a more bang for your buck subscription. It would fit the bill for a daily drinker subscription.

I received the first Song Tea offering in July, it was two teas, and I have only had a session with each. Definitely savoring those. It would be a disservice to drink them daily, considering it was about 30g's of each type of tea.

You certainly have the right idea in mind 💡
lUKAV28

Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:43 pm

faj wrote:
AgedS wrote:
However, I can't manage to drink the volume of tea that comes in, so I will need to pause at some point. Or maybe I just need to learn to drink more tea 😁
In the recent past I wondered if I should get a subscription (with EoT or otherwise), and the reason I did not is exactly that. For some reason, I feel tea vendors all try to fulfill a need that only a minority drinkers feel they have: receive significant amounts of teas they do not really get to choose. I assume they want to give subscribers the feeling they are getting their money's worth, but in the end too much tea probably gets some people off subscriptions because many want to choose most of what they drink based on, you know, what they like.
I don’t really agree with that. I am a subscriber for more than a year now and even though they are sending out around 100g worth of tea, sometimes more, sometimes less, I repurchased some of its offerings (when possible) because I found tea being that good. And would do for some other teas too if they would sell it. To me the real appeal of EoT is that I can sit down and enjoy the tea more than once or twice or I can return to it in a year or when I feel like it. I don’t look into tea club as something that would dictate me what will I drink for the whole month. Heck I even treasure some of the offerings because I liked it that much. So no, EoT certainly don’t need to play the “more tea is better” game. They admitted that they are even loosing money with deliveries to some countries ie. mine. But the reason for a vendor to offer the tea club in my eyes is to educate. If your tea club is good and you are willing to educate your club audience they will potentially become interested in your regular offerings on the site and cover some potential losses down the line too. So playing “more is better” without the quality for a boutique vendor in a long run wouldn’t work. I wrote about different club offerings, ups and downs and the value of them on several occasions on this forum so I don’t want to sound like a fan boy, I just felt to address this.
faj

Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:42 pm

lUKAV28 wrote:
I don’t look into tea club as something that would dictate me what will I drink for the whole month.
If your tea drinking is heavily tilted toward what the vendor includes in their offer, it is true that 100g of tea per month will not dictate your whole drinking. For me, 100g is something like 20-25 sessions. I do not average 1 session per day of the kind of teas Essence of Tea sells. So for me that subscription would, in effect, dictate my whole drinking for these kind of teas.
lUKAV28 wrote:
So no, EoT certainly don’t need to play the “more tea is better” game.
I did not mean EoT (or any other vendor) offers bad tea in order to offer a lot of it, or that their subscriptions are to be avoided. They do make choices as to the price point and targeted amount of tea, which will influence their selection. I just wish vendors had different subscriptions on offer, not that their current one is wrong in any way. In my case, I think I would be more likely to pay for a subscription at 35$ per month for tea at 1$/g. I think a subscription of this kind would increase the overall market for subscriptions, but I realize this is just one tea drinker's uninformed opinion, and I may be a rare exception.

In other words, my comments are to be understood as a wish, not as criticism.
TeaTotaling

Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:56 pm

lUKAV28 wrote:
faj wrote:
AgedS wrote:
I don’t really agree with that. I am a subscriber for more than a year now and even though they are sending out around 100g worth of tea, sometimes more, sometimes less, I repurchased some of its offerings (when possible) because I found tea being that good. And would do for some other teas too if they would sell it. To me the real appeal of EoT is that I can sit down and enjoy the tea more than once or twice or I can return to it in a year or when I feel like it. I don’t look into tea club as something that would dictate me what will I drink for the whole month. Heck I even treasure some of the offerings because I liked it that much. So no, EoT certainly don’t need to play the “more tea is better” game. They admitted that they are even loosing money with deliveries to some countries ie. mine. But the reason for a vendor to offer the tea club in my eyes is to educate. If your tea club is good and you are willing to educate your club audience they will potentially become interested in your regular offerings on the site and cover some potential losses down the line too. So playing “more is better” without the quality for a boutique vendor in a long run wouldn’t work. I wrote about different club offerings, ups and downs and the value of them on several occasions on this forum so I don’t want to sound like a fan boy, I just felt to address this.
Thanks for sharing. I value your position as a long-time subscriber.

David seems genuine and respectable. I have purchased a couple teas outside of the subscription and they are definitely of good quality. I would not hesitate to purchase again in the future.

I'm at the point where I don't need anymore volume. I'm seeking teas of superior quality. I signed up for the subscription to experience it first hand. I have not been disappointed, and I'm still on board at this point.

I agree, it doesn't seem like EoT is seeking to increase profits solely based on their Tea Club. I see it as an educational offering to build long-term business.

Have you tried the Yellow Leaves Yancha yet??
TeaTotaling

Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:05 pm

@faj your position is in line with mine. I'm inclined toward a subscription that offers teas at $1/gram and upwards. Song Tea's is exactly that. I'll be posting my reviews of their upcoming offerings in the Song Tea thread. Given that Song only has room for about 45 people to sign up per year should tell you something.

My thinking has always been quality over quantity. EoT offers good quality. In contrast, Song Tea focuses on a highly curated, high quality offering. Both good, but different based on an individuals given tastes and preferences.
klepto

Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:42 pm

I really do appreciate these tea clubs because otherwise I would be able to properly know which teas suit me and sampling alone won't do. Some teas I was just unaware of like Liu Bao. So if I am not aware of them then how will I ever try them? TF and TF users also help to make us aware of various teas and teaware. Its a big world out there and my pockets are small.. :lol: :lol:
Chadrinkincat

Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:25 pm

I enjoy most of the teas from EOT club but I’ve started to become a bit bummed when another big bag of wild or fresh sheng arrives.
It’s enjoyable but not something I consume often and I have too much of it now. A bit more variety in age would be nice.

Or maybe add a separate quarterly club that focused more on semi-aged and $1/g stuff in smaller quantities.