Tea Hong

Kale

Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:16 pm

Been hearing a lot about TeaHong lately, anyone here had good/bad experience he or she wants to share?
(I'm especially interested in their wuyi oolongs)

https://www.teahong.com/
Last edited by pedant on Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: mod edit: added link
mbanu

Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:14 pm

Tea Hong was co-founded by Leo Kwan, who started MingCha in Hong Kong (now run by his ex-wife). He also runs the website Tea Guardian, which has been the source of some interesting info in the past.

Their 2011 "Premodern Peony" is nice, although I have no way to track the provenance.

2004 Raw Reserve was affordable traditional-storage mystery pu'er. Not bad!

The 2019 Shiguping Wulong was forgettable, so maybe not an endorsement there.

I had some Tieguanyin Classic from a previous year than their current version and it had a very memorable flavor -- so much so that I was surprised to pick up the same taste in another vendor's "Nice Liu'an" blend. :lol:
pedant
Admin

Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:22 pm

i have not bought from them in years, but it was generally pretty decent stuff.
their tea descriptions i think are overhyped. it's marketing, after all. just pay attention to the price to keep expectations in line.

a lot of their yancha i tried was on the greener side.

one of their higher priced dancongs was pretty good. ymmv.
GaoShan

Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:35 am

Has anyone tried their black teas? I'm still on the hunt for fruity/floral Hongcha that's $0.50/g or less for semi-regular drinking. (There's definitely a place for pricier black teas, but I don't see them as daily drinkers.)
mbanu

Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:11 am

I've had some of their Jiuqu Hongmei -- it wasn't bad, finished the whole bag, but it also isn't a tea I've re-ordered from them. It's hard to make recommendations because everybody has different tastes and different water. One reason I wish they would consider selling samples, despite the business-hassle of the multi-sample customer who never seems to buy large quantities of anything. :)
GaoShan

Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:43 am

mbanu wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:11 am
I've had some of their Jiuqu Hongmei -- it wasn't bad, finished the whole bag, but it also isn't a tea I've re-ordered from them. It's hard to make recommendations because everybody has different tastes and different water. One reason I wish they would consider selling samples, despite the business-hassle of the multi-sample customer who never seems to buy large quantities of anything. :)
Thanks for your response! Can you recommend any vendors that sell good Chinese black teas in my price range, preferably outside the U.S.? I've been into Fujian black teas recently, though they tend to be pricy.

I also wish Tea Hong had sample sizes. I've been that multi-sample customer, though I do order larger quantities of things I like.