Wistaria Teahouse

Bok
Vendor

Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:48 am

for the Europeans, just saw that Wistaria opened up a dependance in Paris:

Bonne chance!
.m.

Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:27 am

My first reaction to the news was of great excitement. My second reaction: is it gonna be as expensive and pretentious as M3T? I'd love to visit nevertheless sometime.
Bok
Vendor

Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:18 am

.m. wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:27 am
My first reaction to the news was of great excitement. My second reaction: is it gonna be as expensive and pretentious as M3T? I'd love to visit nevertheless sometime.
I’m sure they did their home work…
In my book anything else than Kusmi tea or Mariages Frères is a huge improvement.
.m.

Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:17 am

I've visited Wistaria Paris over the past weekend, and i'm happy to report that it was a very lovely experience. The tearoom is relatively small just a few tables, which start filling up in the late afternoon. Very nice interior, plenty of old teaware, a few books to flip through. More importantly, very knowledgeable and accommodating personnel, and a good water (Volvic (?)), served in ceramics kettles, and a hotplate on each table. Only handful of teas on the menu, which i like as an approach, quite a few more available for sale. The two puerhs on the menu were 2003 loose leaf Zipin, and 1960s loose puerh. It was also a pleasant surprise to find that their puerh cakes are priced about the same as in their online store (unfortunately they've just went through a price increase). Definitely recommended to stop for a tea if visiting or passing through Paris.
wave_code

Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:09 am

I'll repeat my question here in case someone can chime in...
I was hoping to stop by Wistaria Paris while I was in France the other month but I spared myself the stressful city run and stayed out in the countryside the whole time. Planning to go though got me curious about their offerings though - is there kind of a house taste or typical profile their Puerh has or does it vary a lot from production to production? I'm guessing storage is on the drier side for anything older, but maybe I'm wrong here?
.m.

Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:46 am

Anything i've had from them so far was very cleanly stored, no off-flavors. But I've read somewhere that they have 2 storage locations, and that there is some variation. In the Paris store they sell, aside of cakes, a loose leaf 2003 Zi Pin and 2004 Zi Yun, both quite dry stored (they feel a bit younger then what they are, but not in a bad way), and a loose leaf 60s Puerh (can't verify the age, but definitely at least 30+ years) also clean tasting.
Bok
Vendor

Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:14 am

Not counting previous storage in the Taiwan warehouse, further storage in Paris is likely to only slowly improve their teas. It is very dry there and rains rarely...
wave_code

Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:58 am

thanks both. I actually haven't even checked yet but I got the impression that you can buy from Paris in person but if you want mail order you still have to go via Taiwan? maybe I'm incorrect though. That loose leaf 60s had def caught my eye as a unique offer worth trying.
teatray

Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:46 am

wave_code wrote:
thanks both. I actually haven't even checked yet but I got the impression that you can buy from Paris in person but if you want mail order you still have to go via Taiwan? maybe I'm incorrect though. That loose leaf 60s had def caught my eye as a unique offer worth trying.
You can write to the Paris location (wistariaparis@gmail.com). They'll send you their "Tea Menu". They don't have everything from the TW shop and prices are higher (though obviously customs costs/hassle and shipping from Asia is already taken care of).

(I have yet to try them--busy with other teas atm.)
Bok
Vendor

Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:48 am

wave_code wrote:
. That loose leaf 60s had def caught my eye as a unique offer worth trying.
I wouldn’t have too high hopes… this stuff is very in demand and in short supply in Taiwan as it is. Were it really good, they’d not offer it in Paris. Usually, when it’s old and not excruciatingly expensive, that means it’s just old and that the taste itself is meh.

I’d rather go for the middle ground in age where the margins are more realistic to meet expectations in the taste.
.m.

Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:28 am

Bok wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:48 am
wave_code wrote:
. That loose leaf 60s had def caught my eye as a unique offer worth trying.
I wouldn’t have too high hopes… this stuff is very in demand and in short supply in Taiwan as it is. Were it really good, they’d not offer it in Paris. Usually, when it’s old and not excruciatingly expensive, that means it’s just old and that the taste itself is meh.

I’d rather go for the middle ground in age where the margins are more realistic to meet expectations in the taste.
I very much agree. Nevertheless it is worth trying - the price is very reasonable (somewhere around 1$/g if i remember correctly), it's old and authentic, and it feels very special to drink such an old tea, which is really worth the experience. Otherwise, for me the ZiPin is the better tea for half the price.
wave_code

Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:07 pm

I don't see why it being in high demand would stop them from offering it in Paris - its one of those things like a unique flagship item. it looks good to have in a shop and draws interest even if almost nobody buys it - and yes typically such items are usually either overpriced or not totally worth it except to either very specific people and/or those with more money than taste. I certainly wouldn't expect it to be anything like other in demand old teas that easily command $100s+ per gram. However, even when rather rustic such old teas can have their charms. My older liu bao teas would almost all be considered objectively inferior quality leaf to modern craft production and even a lot of higher end factory productions - nevertheless they can be delicious, different, and very relaxing and enjoyable as a thing of their own.

Thats good to know its possible to buy from Paris - I don't know if they do sample sizes too but for sampling or even a single cake sometimes the shipping and then import makes it not really worth it if it isn't above a certain price point.
teatray

Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:36 pm

wave_code wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:07 pm
Thats good to know its possible to buy from Paris - I don't know if they do sample sizes too but for sampling or even a single cake sometimes the shipping and then import makes it not really worth it if it isn't above a certain price point.
Some teas listed are in packs (75-150g) or cakes (250-357g) but lots/most of it is loose tea with price per 100g. The 60s pu is loose at €146/100g but I guess one could ask for 50g or 25g. The most expensive is a 2019 Oriental Beauty coming at €640/100g (sold in 75g packs). It says "First Prize Winner" but no mention of the event at which it was won :mrgreen:.
pedant
Admin

Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:48 pm

6.4eur/g, wow. i don't think i've ever seen OB for sale that expensive.
Bok
Vendor

Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:46 pm

pedant wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:48 pm
6.4eur/g, wow. i don't think i've ever seen OB for sale that expensive.
which is why you rarely see it in the West, it’s among the most pricey fresh teas in Taiwan, even if you deduct the mark up for being sold abroad. The top level of OB regularly aproaches 1K or more for competition grades.

But Hsinchu area is large and they plant it from pristine areas to field next to three way lanes of heavy traffic, so the quality range is vast, from possibly contaminated trash to the pristine premium.