Wistaria Teahouse

Bok
Vendor

Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:48 am

Seems like Taipei’s most famous (among foreigners) teahouse is joining the online shops: https://www.wistariateahouse.com/mainss ... g=ZC610942

Selection seems like covering the basics of Taiwanese teas, can’t comment on the Puerh, but they are famous for them.

Personally, I’ve had mixed experiences when going there, but that might be only me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wistaria_Tea_House
Last edited by pedant on Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod edit: added wikipedia link
Victoria
Admin

Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:55 pm

Bok wrote:
Seems like Taipei’s most famous (among foreigners) teahouse is joining the online shops: https://www.wistariateahouse.com/mainss ... g=ZC610942

Selection seems like covering the basics of Taiwanese teas, can’t comment on the Puerh, but they are famous for them.

Personally, I’ve had mixed experiences when going there, but that might be only me.
How do you find their pricing as compared to pricing inside Taiwan?
Bok
Vendor

Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:02 pm

Victoria wrote:
Bok wrote:

As far as the teahouse goes they are in line with other touristy places in Taipei (and they are in the end full of tourists).

Their online offer is more aimed at foreigners, even though prices in Taipei can be significantly higher than elsewhere in Taiwan. But I doubt many locals would buy there, or more likely, they have a local price list.
Bok
Vendor

Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:56 am

Went to Wistaria again, this time with friend @OCTO.

The atmosphere is lovely, their small teaware selection is not bad, the food is pretty nice – My initial impression on their teas was confirmed, a bit over rated compared to as what other reviews mention. The staff is attentive though to match teaware and tea, but the tea has not been overly impressive. In particular, I did expect more from the wild oolong that we ordered. It was more or less similar to an ordinary Baozhong.

Got a chance to see the small joint exhibiton of Andrzej Bero and local expat The Jadeleaf, Emilio del Pozo. I like Beros pottery and think he would deserve more attention.
Victoria
Admin

Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:34 pm

Bok, I’m so glad you were able to see the exhibition at Wistaria. I managed to see several pieces by Andrzej Bero in NYC at Pu’erh Brooklyn and agree with you that his work is very good.

Curious how many teas did you try while at Wistaria? I’ve heard so many good things about their teas over the years. I had one recently that was excellent, a AAA grade medium roasted 2015 DongDing that @phyllsheng shared with us. He called it Auntie Chen’s and I think it was from a special backroom stash they had.

I look forward to your one day sharing with us a curated selection of what you consider to be AAA Taiwan oolong :) We could resurrect Chip’s OTTI’s.
pedant
Admin

Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:56 pm

Victoria wrote:
someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i think their prices are the same across the board. there are no discounts (volume or otherwise).

also, compared to last year, their prices seem unchanged. at least for the cakes i looked at: 07 hongyin (紅印), 07 lanyin (藍印), and 03 qingteng (青藤).
Bok
Vendor

Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:47 pm

Victoria wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:34 pm

Curious how many teas did you try while at Wistaria? I’ve heard so many good things about their teas over the years. I had one recently that was excellent, a AAA grade medium roasted 2015 DongDing that phyllsheng shared with us.
Over the years I have been there three times, in total I had 8 different teas. I always tried to have teas that I do not stock myself to try something new.

I do not recall the exact teas anymore, but mostly aged varieties of Taiwan Oolong and Puerh. Plus this time the wild tea and a long time ago a high mountain tea, which left a particular bad impression as it was flat.

Maybe their back room teas are better. They are a bit touristy and probably do not offer all of what they have to anyone.

Not saying the teas are bad, but they do not relate to the I impression one might get from others.

AAA HY Chen’s roasted teas would play in that league, except the prices could be worked on a bit. At least to what I am used to pay for this kind of quality.
Victoria
Admin

Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:57 pm

Bok wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:47 pm
Not saying the teas are bad, but they do not relate to the I impression one might get from others.
AAA HY Chen’s roasted teas would play in that league, except the prices could be worked on a bit. At least to what I am used to pay for this kind of quality.
Can you elaborate? Didn’t catch your meaning.
Bok
Vendor

Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:15 pm

Means his tea are what I would consider Taiwan AAA quality tea, although similar teas can be had at lower prices.
Victoria
Admin

Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:39 pm

Bok wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:15 pm
Means his tea are what I would consider Taiwan AAA quality tea, although similar teas can be had at lower prices.
Okay good, this is why I’d love it if you would curate a AAA Taiwan oolong OTTI :)
ShuShu

Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:34 pm

Bok wrote:
I like Beros pottery and think he would deserve more attention.
Bero is amazing. He has tons of fans (myself included). Sometimes he put things online for sale and they disappear within hours...
Bok
Vendor

Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:49 pm

ShuShu wrote:
Bok wrote:
Bero is amazing. He has tons of fans (myself included). Sometimes he put things online for sale and they disappear within hours...
He seems to have more following in Europe, yet I feel he is less appreciated than Petr Novak, yet a more versatile artisan in my book.

Also not many do clay and porcelain equally as he does.
ShuShu

Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:07 pm

Bok wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:49 pm
ShuShu wrote:
Bok wrote:
He seems to have more following in Europe, yet I feel he is less appreciated than Petr Novak, yet a more versatile artisan in my book.

Also not many do clay and porcelain equally as he does.
well, wood fire is the current craze, so that makes potters like novak in a pretty good position, but his stuff is sold pretty well all over...and his clay tastes good - which is something I can't say about every star-potter... :-)
Bok
Vendor

Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:29 pm

ShuShu wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:07 pm
..and his clay tastes good - which is something I can't say about every star-potter... :-)
I know exactly what you mean...

Luckily for those, there is always the customer group which cares more about that earthy wabi sabi feeling than the taste of the tea ;)

Is wood-fire still a craze? What I see more as a craze right now is the unfinished rough clay pots out of China.
Tillerman
Vendor

Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:55 am

Wisteria is a wonderful cultural icon (its Japanese roots, set for Eat, Drink, Man, Woman, etc.) and important historically (it is where intellectuals opposed to CKS often met.) Everyone visiting Taipei should go for the experience. My wife just completed her first trip to the country and Wisteria was an early stop. All that being said, however, the tea is all pretty good but certainly not outstanding.