Black Tea Vendor Topic

Victoria
Admin

Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:13 pm

Recommend black tea vendors and share your experiences, good or bad.
Killy

Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:53 am

Hi! Despite of that I'm quite newbie with hongcha, I love it the zhengshan xiaozhong (lapsang souchong) from white2tea. I took advantage of the fact that I was buying some puerh and try with my first no smoked lapsang.

I don't know if could be a good recommend for somebody, but I found it tasteful, balanced and enduring. A perfect every day-hongcha.

Some another place to buy it and compare?
wildisthewind

Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:31 pm

Killy wrote:
Hi! Despite of that I'm quite newbie with hongcha, I love it the zhengshan xiaozhong (lapsang souchong) from white2tea. I took advantage of the fact that I was buying some puerh and try with my first no smoked lapsang.

I don't know if could be a good recommend for somebody, but I found it tasteful, balanced and enduring. A perfect every day-hongcha.

The oft-recommended WuYi Origins (Cindy Chen) has several grades of zhengshan xiaozhong. They're pretty solid, and have good provenance.
aet

Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:11 am

Killy wrote:

google Zheng Shan Xiao Zhong buy directly from China or something like that.

I personally don't like too smoked one. There are many types on CN market available. Try different search engines aswell, like yahoo .
pedant
Admin

Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:38 am

Killy wrote:
...zhengshan xiaozhong (lapsang souchong)...another place to buy it and compare?
i second wildisthewind's recommendation. i haven't tried that one specifically from her, but her black teas in general are solid.

hojo also has a decent one
Tillerman
Vendor

Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:38 am

pedant wrote:
Killy wrote:
...zhengshan xiaozhong (lapsang souchong)...another place to buy it and compare?
i second wildisthewind's recommendation. i haven't tried that one specifically from her, but her black teas in general are solid.

Well - I'll "third" the Cindy Chen suggestion. Her's is the "new" style of non-smoked ZHXZ. Finding GOOD examples of the "old" smoked style is VERY difficult, and very expensive (you're looking at close to $US30/oz.), as so few now produce it (you can find lots with cheap liquid smoke added to poor quality tea.) For the smoked style, try Zhen Tea, an online vendor out of Ottawa, Canada (www.zhentea.ca.) They are very good, ship quickly and are priced in CAD.
Tillerman
Vendor

Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:39 am

pedant wrote:
Killy wrote:

Well - I'll "third" the Cindy Chen suggestion. Her's is the "new" style of non-smoked ZHXZ. Finding GOOD examples of the "old" smoked style is VERY difficult, and very expensive (you're looking at close to $US30/oz.), as so few now produce it (you can find lots with cheap liquid smoke added to poor quality tea.) For the smoked style, try Zhen Tea, an online dealer out of Ottawa, Canada (www.zhentea.ca) They are very good, ship quickly and are priced in CAD.
Killy

Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:13 pm

pedant wrote:
Killy wrote:

Thank you wildisthewind and pedant, I definetly will try the Wuyi Origin's hongcha offer :D
Killy

Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:18 pm

Tillerman wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:39 am
pedant wrote:
Killy wrote:

Well - I'll "third" the Cindy Chen suggestion. Her's is the "new" style of non-smoked ZHXZ. Finding GOOD examples of the "old" smoked style is VERY difficult, and very expensive (you're looking at close to $US30/oz.), as so few now produce it (you can find lots with cheap liquid smoke added to poor quality tea.) For the smoked style, try Zhen Tea, an online dealer out of Ottawa, Canada (www.zhentea.ca) They are very good, ship quickly and are priced in CAD.
I've heard always that smoked one were poor quality teas (the couple of times that i've tasted it were really low quality tea), so interesting to know that there ara good ones avalaible to adquire. I will try the Zhen Tea to learn how it taste. Thank you for your advice, Tillerman!
wildisthewind

Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:40 pm

Tillerman wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:38 am
pedant wrote:
Killy wrote:

Well - I'll "third" the Cindy Chen suggestion. Her's is the "new" style of non-smoked ZHXZ. Finding GOOD examples of the "old" smoked style is VERY difficult, and very expensive (you're looking at close to $US30/oz.), as so few now produce it (you can find lots with cheap liquid smoke added to poor quality tea.) For the smoked style, try Zhen Tea, an online vendor out of Ottawa, Canada (www.zhentea.ca.) They are very good, ship quickly and are priced in CAD.
Good call with Zhen Tea, I love them.

I'm pretty sure it's possible to get the authentic (pine-smoke-dried) type a number of places, as opposed to the type that's smoked after processing elsewhere, or doctored with liquid smoke. I've seen it at Postcard Tea, Jing Tea Shop, TeaTrekker, Tea Habitat, and Song Tea. I know that the last time I emailed Cindy Chen she said that she does have some she could make available, but that it's not on her website as it doesn't sell as well.

I currently have the version from Old Ways Tea, and while it's not from the tongmu protected area, it's smoke-dried, pretty good, and quite cheap.