Green Tea Vendor Topic

Balthazar

Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:58 am

We can only speculate, especially since TdJ themselves arent pointing to financial reasons (operating at a loss, etc) for their change. If TdJ is dependent on imported goods/services for their operations, or e.g. have personal costs "back home" in France (or elsewhere) that are accrued in EUR (not unlikely), then they are vulnerable to a week Yen. You'd expect such businesses to charge in a more stable currency. And more generally, if they're operating at a loss you'd expect them to rise prices

I don't think the issue here is "are TdJ's prices too high" but rather the whole exchange rate trick where you effectively have two different menus on the table and the answer to the arbitrary question "where are you located?" determines what prices you are charged.

Personally, I think some of their teas are worth the conversion trick hike. Proper communication of the change could probably have resolved some of the discontent it has created.
Baisao

Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:00 pm

Balthazar wrote:

I don't think the issue here is "are TdJ's prices too high" but rather the whole exchange rate trick where you effectively have two different menus on the table and the answer to the arbitrary question "where are you located?" determines what prices you are charged.

Personally, I think some of their teas are worth the conversion trick hike. Proper communication of the change could probably have resolved some of the discontent it has created.
The actual owner is Japanese and Florent works for him. This is very obviously a racist “gaijin tax”.
Randy the Intern

Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:04 pm

Baisao wrote:
The actual owner is Japanese and Florent works for him. This is very obviously a racist “gaijin tax”.
Obviously Florent is the owners white slave. Poor thing probably gets beat with a stick if he doesn’t price gouge his own people. This must be why he can’t tell us what the real reason was.
aet
Vendor

Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:58 pm

the guy who has done all work for this JP biz being visible to west , probably now is getting paid only those % differnce between JPY and other currencies.
That's the only theory I can come up with. So if you feel the prices in USD still fair, please support.
teatray

Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:31 pm

aet wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:58 pm
the guy who has done all work for this JP biz being visible to west , probably now is getting paid only those % differnce between JPY and other currencies.
That's the only theory I can come up with. So if you feel the prices in USD still fair, please support.
As a competitor, it would obviously be in bad taste for you to comment negatively, but baseless speculation (as you clearly have no idea what is going on with the business) and such prejudiced support elicit counterarguments and we could end up dragging TdJ through more mud than necessary. It's a business, they made a business decision. Some people are going to stop using them, others will shop less or not even notice. It's ugly, the previous situation (USD/EUR-paying customers being egregiously overcharged) wasn't great either; the way they now hide behind "technical limitations" is ridiculous, but that's about it. They do have some good tea worth trying for anyone exploring sencha. Nevertheless, it's good if people are informed and know this history.

There are sure details we don't know. I looked up public information about the company via the company number and it's actually a roofing supplies seller (compare to TdJ's about page). The fact they operate this way probably means it was difficult to run a business initially (lack of capital and/or possibly hostile policies towards small foreign-owned companies). In any case, the tea part of that business started online, the shop came later, and there is no Japanese shop owner in the background that got Western exposure through Florent. They share what they want to share about their history on their site. The rest will remain hidden as it's not a public company.
aet
Vendor

Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:31 pm

my mistake. I appologize for getting involved into this topic with theories. Correct , as a vendor ( although I do not see our selves as a compettior of YDJ , we do not sell JP tea ) I shouldn't express any opinioins about other vendors as this is not ethical. I saw people being puzzled about this JPY-USD issue and felt like to explain withou meaning any harm , yet got slowly dragged into the point where I just gave a raw answer what I think it is ( because my hints didn't work ) . That was wrong move and again, please accpet my appology for that. Also admin , please feel free to delete my coments related to this topic.
buullon

Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:16 am

Baisao wrote:
Balthazar wrote:

A quick google search, and you'll find out they're all French. Or at least did their study in France.

Anyway, it does feel a lot like the English menu of some restaurant being more expensive than the Japanese menu :?