Vendors of Japanese porcelain ware (Arita, Hasami) and clay teaware with glaze inside?

Cifer

Thu Oct 05, 2023 12:39 pm

Hello everyone,

I've been looking for fully glazed (or at least glazed inside) Japanese teaware for small amounts of sencha and gyokuro for ages. I see a few products here and there, but it's not much.

Could you recommend any vendors which ship abroad and specialize in this type of teaware or at least have a decent selection?

I'm specifically looking for a small ~120 ml hira kyusu (Ippodo has one, but the holes are a bit large, it's overpriced, and I don't like the blue symbol on the lid) and a very flat 60 to 100 ml shiboridashi with a rake (groove) filter. A shiboridashi without such a filter would be ok as well.

Thanks a lot!
teatray

Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:20 pm

I'd also look at other stuff, Kyo-yaki, Seto-yaki, etc. There's this shop in Kyoto: Asahiyaki - standard collection (some pieces also available on TdJ's Asahiyaki page). Gas-fired but seemingly considered a very classical choice (one of these very old shops, though I doubt they sold anything resembling their current lineup in centuries past). I always wanted to get their somewhat innovative hohin-like cup but never quite got to it (I was actually mid-order with a shipping quote & everything, but they ignored all my further mails containing a question, so it went nowhere. I think it may have been a language problem.) Both normal and cup-version hohin have a large amount of smaller holes, maybe what you are looking for?

There are many shops/galleries offering interesting stuff in Kyoto, Tokyo, etc. Some ship internationally, if you ask them, usually removing the 10% sales tax from the price (I got stuff from asahido this way). Others are happy to cooperate with package forwarding services (I got stuff from utsuwa-hanada via fromjapan though they now have a preferred partner, it seems). There's some nice stuff, if you search for porcelain/celadon on Chaki-chaki (I got a Seto-yaki pot I like from there).
umami

Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:54 am

Unfortunately what you're looking for is not easy to find at all. Your best bet is either a porcelain hohin or something like that kyusu from Ippodo. Sazen has one without the blue motif and also has a couple of hohins so you could take a look at their store. I rarely see modern flat porcelain kyusus for some reason, but once in a while there is an older production on websites like mercari.
Victoria
Admin

Sat Oct 07, 2023 2:39 pm

I have a small collection of porcelain and glazed kyusu that I use for some darjeeling, high mountain oolong and sencha. Slowing I’ve found at online auctions porcelain kyusu that are <140ml mostly Kyoyaki that are both back and side handled, some houhin and shiboridashi. I managed to find a few >200ml glazed Kyoyaki and Setoware pieces that have wonderful vine handles that I use as pitchers or for steeping larger portions of darjeeling.

Aside from online auction sites you might reach out to these artisans/vendors;

@tjkdubya might still have these fine 120ml Doha porcelain pots;

Shawn McGuire at Great Wheels Studio makes <100ml glazed shiboridashi; https://www.etsy.com/listing/1516597406/

Inge Nielsen makes <140ml glazed kyusu; https://www.etsy.com/shop/PotterybyIngeNielsen

Here are a few of my porcelain and glazed pieces that I’ve included in posts. At some point I’d like to share newer acquisitions that are all Japanese porcelain back-handled <150ml made before the ‘60s mostly Kyoyaki;

Inoue Harouni porcelain kyusu; viewtopic.php?p=341#p341

Glazed Setoware w/vine handle; viewtopic.php?p=4226#p4226

Kiyomizu-ware porcelain by Gyokusen; viewtopic.php?p=7858#p7858

Kokuho Kiyomizu-ware porcelain houhin; viewtopic.php?p=10988#p10988

Shawn McGuire glazed shiboridashi; viewtopic.php?p=13306#p13306

P.S. The finest Japanese porcelain pieces I’ve seen are by Seifu Yohei family. Here is a cup, the proportions, wall thickness, and weight are perfect.