Oolong Vendor Topic

Teafortea

Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:23 pm

Thank you for the info.🥰
Muadeeb

Thu May 18, 2023 10:11 am

Anyboday ever bought tea from 101tea.com?

They have some great prices on high mountain oolong, but min size is a 1/4 lb.

https://101tea.com/product-category/tai ... ntain-tea/
Bok
Vendor

Thu May 18, 2023 10:27 am

Muadeeb wrote:

Is that a large quantity??? Anything smaller is basically a sample…
Muadeeb

Thu May 18, 2023 11:36 am

Most places have an ounce option.
GaoShan

Thu May 18, 2023 3:59 pm

Bok wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 10:27 am
Muadeeb wrote:

Is that a large quantity??? Anything smaller is basically a sample…
It's a large quantity if you're trying a vendor for the first time. I like to get 25 or 50 g of a tea to try it out unless I have a very solid recommendation.
jaroth28
New user

Fri May 19, 2023 4:53 pm

Is Leafygreen.com still online and selling Hau Ying Chen's oolongs? I couldn't get the site to come up? Also, hi Im new here :-)
Victoria
Admin

Fri May 19, 2023 8:35 pm

jaroth28 wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 4:53 pm
Is Leafygreen.com still online and selling Hau Ying Chen's oolongs? I couldn't get the site to come up? Also, hi Im new here :-)
Welcome to TeaForum @jaroth28. Looks like LeafyGreen has rebranded as a tea house catering etc in Providence Ceremony. You might try ordering directly from Chen’s web site or try reaching him via FB or IG.
Baiyun

Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:36 am

I am intending to order some yancha from Lazy Cat and thought I'd ask if any of the members here had specific recommendations of great tea at any given price point from their current offerings: https://www.lazycattea.com/product-cate ... ulong-tea/

Probably looking at Rougui and Shuixian to learn more where I have some faint idea, but I am open to add anything else worth exploring.
Andrew S

Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:04 pm

Baiyun wrote:
I am intending to order some yancha from Lazy Cat and thought I'd ask if any of the members here had specific recommendations of great tea at any given price point from their current offerings: https://www.lazycattea.com/product-cate ... ulong-tea/

Probably looking at Rougui and Shuixian to learn more where I have some faint idea, but I am open to add anything else worth exploring.
I've tried a few Lazy Cats over the last few months, but almost all of the ones that I tried are no longer on their website, so I can't really say much to help you.

I tried a small sample of their peach rougui a while ago - it was, indeed, peach-like in flavour, simple but pleasant, and what I'd call a medium-roast type of overall profile. I also tried an earlier vintage of the tiger style rougui this morning; it's consistent with what I think is the style that they're aiming for, which is bright, clean and fruity, perhaps emphasising clarity of flavour and aroma over the kind of deeper mouthfeel that I prefer. I haven't been disappointed by any of them, even if they're not quite the style that I look for (their 'old bookstore' was quite pleasant for me, from memory).

Andrew
LeoFox

Sat Jul 15, 2023 11:06 pm

Baiyun wrote:

My suggestion is to buy the 50g tins and not the sample packs. Somehow they taste different - with the tins being much better.
Baiyun

Sun Jul 16, 2023 7:17 am

Thank you both @Andrew S and @LeoFox, sounds like a trustworthy source. I trimmed down my initial shopping cart a bit and made a start with the "Metamorphosis Laocong Shuixian 2020 - Zhengyan" and the "Echoes Rougui 2022". I found the old bookstore reference in the description of the first tea, so maybe that tea expresses some similar characteristics?
plod

Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:51 pm

Hi everyone,
Has anyone here ordered oolong from HauYing Chen recently? It’s been a few years for me, and I noticed the most recent teas on his website are from spring 2022. Wondering what would be the best way of getting in touch with him, and ordering a selection of his current offerings. Would be grateful for any advice!

Best,
Robert
Victoria
Admin

Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:39 pm

plod wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:51 pm
Hi everyone,
Has anyone here ordered oolong from HauYing Chen recently? It’s been a few years for me, and I noticed the most recent teas on his website are from spring 2022. Wondering what would be the best way of getting in touch with him, and ordering a selection of his current offerings. Would be grateful for any advice!

Best,
Robert
I order from HY Chen via FB Messenger, others do so on Instagram. He then provides updated price list. I always do large group orders because I know he’s a small farmer producer and doesn’t really have infrastructure to do tinny sample orders.
plod

Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:21 pm

Victoria wrote:

I order from HY Chen via FB Messenger, others do so on Instagram. He then provides updated price list. I always do large group orders because I know he’s a small farmer producer and doesn’t really have infrastructure to do tinny sample orders.
Thank you for the advice, good to know he’s still in business. Did you order anything recently, i.e. during 2023?
Victoria
Admin

Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:35 pm

plod wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:21 pm
Victoria wrote:
Thank you for the advice, good to know he’s still in business. Did you order anything recently, i.e. during 2023?
This is the first year in many years that I did not order from him, life’s twists and turns got in the way. I always order in January for his winter oolong that he roasts. I see he’s been posting quit a lot about new wild/feral tea gardens he’s sourcing tea from. Should be interesting to explore those. I order his light/medium/heavy roast DongDing, if he has Primitive Wild for sure I get that, and then add new ones as well. Lately I’ve been enjoying his Bug Bitten from 2016, it is much better now than when I first received it, more camphorous and resinous.