Oolong Vendor Topic

harrison1986

Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:48 am

Where can I find legit Zheng Yan Wuyi rock oolong? (i.e. true rock, the centre area producing the best and true rock teas)

Edit: from my small phone screen I totally missed the yancha section. Sorry.
Teafortea

Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:03 am

Newly arrived order from Hau Yin Chen. Oh my now where do I start?? 😍. Thank you @Victoria for your recommendation. Very kind seller!!
Attachments
7B161852-CF07-4FF4-BBBE-E5F68440D3A3.jpeg
7B161852-CF07-4FF4-BBBE-E5F68440D3A3.jpeg (248.55 KiB) Viewed 5708 times
Victoria
Admin

Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:31 am

Teafortea wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:03 am
Newly arrived order from Hau Yin Chen. Oh my now where do I start?? 😍. Thank you Victoria for your recommendation. Very kind seller!!
@Teafortea, Nice to see you got his Lishan Primitive Wild, it is very special. Did you also order his charcoal roasted DongDing? This is his specialty from his 100 year graden. I enjoy all his roast levels from light/medium/heavy. Very rich, viscous, complex and layered. No pesticides certified organic too. Hope you enjoy your selections 🍃
Teafortea

Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:53 am

Thank you! I started by the bug bitten oolong black. What a treat… ! Very happy with the way the tea held to the multiple infusions. I think I’m on 10 and still honey in my mouth. I’ll try lishan tomorrow, had a long day today so was home only late in the afternoon.

I think I’ll keep my tea Taiwan collection for now with only from ttc, wisteria and mr. Chen. Other vendors were a total delusion. Some of the bags i recently received from a recent order I even feel bad to give them away as they turn bitter after just 2nd infusion. Not sure why
Attachments
0AD2D18D-42B4-45FA-A6E2-5E35BF99EEBF.jpeg
0AD2D18D-42B4-45FA-A6E2-5E35BF99EEBF.jpeg (234.38 KiB) Viewed 5658 times
GaoShan

Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:54 am

Has anyone had really good Anxi green Tie Guan Yin lately? The cheaper ones taste like sour, stewed veggies, but the nicer ones are floral and fruity, and I haven't had one of those in a while.
debunix

Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:29 pm

The best I have had recently was some from Tea Habitat, but it was not vacuum sealed and I did not drink it fast enough so I lost some of its best qualities before I even opened the packages.

Note to self: open TGY before Taiwanese mountain Teas…the latter hold their quality better in storage.
GaoShan

Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:12 pm

debunix wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:29 pm
The best I have had recently was some from Tea Habitat, but it was not vacuum sealed and I did not drink it fast enough so I lost some of its best qualities before I even opened the packages.

Note to self: open TGY before Taiwanese mountain Teas…the latter hold their quality better in storage.
Thank you! It looks like their 2021 Wild Tie Guan Yin is out of stock. Maybe they'll get a 2022 version and I'll brave the high prices. :)
GailC

Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:58 pm

Suggestions where to find good milk oolong? Being new to tea, I'm not sure who to trust.
Prefer teas with no added flavors
polezaivsani

Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:34 pm

@GailC, milk oolong is market name for Jin Xuan, a particular variety of the tea plant and I'd wager that sticking with the later would yield much better teas. Taiwan Tea Crafts with teas including competition winners picked my fancy lately, but I haven't succeeded in trying them yet. Also jin xuan gets mentioned in 'what oonlong you're drinking' topic, which might get you some clues.
debunix

Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:12 pm

I find the milk oolong from Bird Pick Tea to be remarkably, mellow, very popular when I shared it at work, and I do not suspect any adulteration when I drink it. It just tastes like gentle oolong tea— if anything, it’s almost too mellow for my preferences.
Andrew S

Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:17 pm

@GailC: I agree with polezaivsani; teas which are specifically advertised as being 'milky oolong' are likely to be lower-quality teas which have been flavoured or scented in some way, and you might want to search instead for jinxuan teas from vendors that people talk about here. I don't drink much unroasted wulong, so I'm not really sure who I'd suggest other than the 'usual' names that pop up around here.

However, you may want to bear in mind that authentic and unadulterated jinxuan may be more subtle in the milkiness or creaminess that it displays compared to adulterated versions, and the extent to which a jinxuan tea has a creamy flavour or mouthfeel will vary depending upon how it was grown, how it was processed, what that season's weather was like, etc. But once you've had some nice ones, you probably won't want to try the over-the-top flavoured ones again.

Andrew
Victoria
Admin

Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:52 pm

@GailC I am sipping on a very smooth buttery viscous oolong which I didn’t realize until now is also a milk oolong. Jinxuan cultivar with soft notes of fern and almond. Very good example of what a milk oolong can be without adulteration. It’s from Té Company, called Graceful Hill. They have a few milk oolong and a page discussing its characteristics as well. I’ve had this clipped open pack stored in my tea cabinet for a few years as well, and I think it is better now than in 2019.
GailC

Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:21 pm

Victoria wrote:
GailC I am sipping on a very smooth buttery viscous oolong which I didn’t realize until now is also a milk oolong. Jinxuan cultivar with soft notes of fern and almond. Very good example of what a milk oolong can be without adulteration. It’s from Té Company, called Graceful Hill. They have a few milk oolong and a page discussing its characteristics as well. I’ve had this clipped open pack stored in my tea cabinet for a few years as well, and I think it is better now than in 2019.
Thank you, that sounds really nice.
Teafortea

Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:37 pm

Victoria wrote:
GailC I am sipping on a very smooth buttery viscous oolong which I didn’t realize until now is also a milk oolong. Jinxuan cultivar with soft notes of fern and almond. Very good example of what a milk oolong can be without adulteration. It’s from Té Company, called Graceful Hill. They have a few milk oolong and a page discussing its characteristics as well. I’ve had this clipped open pack stored in my tea cabinet for a few years as well, and I think it is better now than in 2019.

I always ♥️ your recommendations Victoria. Just checked the website and it sounds delicious. Their other teas they offer look yummy too. 😋 Do they ship to Europe?
Victoria
Admin

Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:13 pm

Teafortea wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:37 pm
Victoria wrote:

I always ♥️ your recommendations Victoria. Just checked the website and it sounds delicious. Their other teas they offer look yummy too. 😋 Do they ship to Europe?
Haha thank you. Elena is Taiwanese and sources her teas directly each year. Her partner is a talented Portugués chef, always so tasty to visit their shop in the West Village, super nice couple. You might message them on their Instagram account about shipping.