Oolong Vendor Topic

Balthazar

Thu May 13, 2021 10:25 am

teabug wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 9:25 am
As an example:
the offering from the not so inexpensive essence of tea (they recently hiked the price up from an already overpriced $135 to the newly stated $150) :
https://essenceoftea.com/collections/te ... -tray-drum
(disclosure: I am one of those western idiots who buy items like that for $135)
Did you find the same item on Aliexpress?

I don't know the source of EoT's trays, but there's a big variety in the price among Taobao options (e.g. 1 ($120), 2 ($220-$492), 3 ($127).
teabug wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 9:53 am
As stated, if I can beat the professionals who bulk order for down negotiated wholesale prices with my tiny single item order by a factor of three or even four, then I take issue with that merchant.
The glass gaiwan example at $44 seems expensive. M&L charging $75 for something that can be had at Aliexpress for $50-60 sound's... surprisingly reasonable to me. (Coincidentally, I've found the price of M&L's nixing pots very fair when compared to Taobao prices for similar items.) Note that I have no horse in this race (have never bought anything from M&L; in fact I almost never buy from Western vendors anymore, but that's mostly due to the types of tea I'm into).

You could turn the whole thing around into a "half full glass" type thing, and praise the heavens that you're into tea at a time when it's never been easier to get stuff without relying on Western vendors :)

Edit: Perhaps this discussion should be moved to a thread of its own...
teabug

Thu May 13, 2021 4:26 pm

Balthazar wrote:
M&L charging $75 for something that can be had at Aliexpress for $50-60 sound's... surprisingly reasonable to me.
True, M&L is a company with more moderate pricing for decent merchandise. If they sell a pot for $75+shipping, I am happy to pay that, even though a seller on Aliexpress charges $60 including shipping for almost the same pot. Simply because M&L are approachable via Mail, I’m anyways ordering enough volume so that I get free shipping and I appreciate and support their effort to have some educational articles on their website.
I have just pulled the trigger on two of their expensive Oolongs as well as two of their basic Oolongs and am quite curious on how they will turn out. First time I have bought tea from them.
Balthazar wrote:
Did you find the same item on Aliexpress?
Yes. But it was the shiny one from your first taobao link. The shiny ones aren‘t for me. And I have seen the $250+ ones (the ones with adornments on the side wall) on an western facing site as well. Although those are the ones I’m really after, I‘m not yet prepared to fork out 250$ for an item bitterleafteas had on their website for roughly half that price a good year ago. They don‘t re-stock (I asked them) though. However, I hope travelling will be possible in the future and I‘m planning on hitting Taiwan, South China and Korea next and hope to pick up one of those pewter trays with adornments either in Taiwan or South China (particularly hopeful to get lucky in Chaozhou).

How do you navigate taobao? Am I missing something? I seem not to find that language switch. For me taobao appears to be a chinese language only site. Or are you a chinese speaker?
Balthazar

Fri May 14, 2021 2:01 am

The hard part (at least when we go beyond porcelain and glass and into stuff like pewter/tinn etc.) is to know whether or not one is comparing apples to pears. Item X may really be what it claims to be, while the cheaper but identical item Y may be made of something entirely different. (Of course that's as true for Western vendors as it is for Aliexpress-vendors...)

Although I guess I'd be more worried about "secret ingredients" in my teapots than my tray.
teabug wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 4:26 pm
How do you navigate taobao? Am I missing something? I seem not to find that language switch. For me taobao appears to be a chinese language only site. Or are you a chinese speaker?
Far from fluent, but I do have "Taobao search query level" proficiency :lol: I don't think there's an English version. You could try using English search terms through Superbuy, although it works... not great.

Second the hope for traveling opening up again!
Cybernerd
New user

Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:43 am

I have seen an FB profile aka Bessa Zhu, and ordered Ya Shi Xiang oolong tea from her, as she stated she is a tea farmer. After making payment a few days ago, she did not respond, no receipt for payments and also no tracking id for shipment of tea. Have I been scammed? Or is Bessa Zhu tea farmer a genuine person?
Last edited by Victoria on Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mod edit: moved post
Victoria
Admin

Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:51 am

Cybernerd wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:43 am
I have seen an FB profile aka Bessa Zhu, and ordered Ya Shi Xiang oolong tea from her, as she stated she is a tea farmer. After making payment a few days ago, she did not respond, no receipt for payments and also no tracking id for shipment of tea. Have I been scammed? Or is Bessa Zhu tea farmer a genuine person?
Several friends enjoy her teas and have ordered from her many times over the years. She’s legit as far as I know.
m2193

Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:47 pm

Hi all, trying to budget my Black Friday spending in line so drawing up a list right now. Wasn't sure if this should go in the Essence of Tea specific thread instead so mods, lmk if this should be moved. These are the teas I'm considering from EoT, and I was wondering if people had tried any of these and had feedback on them.
  • 2018 Zhang Hui Chun - Strong Roast Shui Xian (8g)
  • 2021 Hua Ji Dancong
      2019 Rui Quan ~ Jin Suo Shi Wuyi Yancha (15g)
    • 2020 100 years Lao Cong Shui Xian (8g)
    • 2020 Hui Yuan Keng Rou Gui (8g)
        1997 "Horse Head Cliff" Shui Xian Wuyi Yancha (15g)
          2017 Handmade Tie Luo Han (10g)
            2018 EoT House Rou Gui Wuyi Yancha (25g)
          • 2019 Hui Chun ~ Bei Dou Wuyi Yancha (10g)
              2018 EoT House Lao Cong Shui Xian (25g)
            Trying to cap it at $100 on oolongs max.

I've been a long time what I'd call casual oolong drinker (though have been mostly drinking ripes lately just since they require less attention (both easier to neglect in terms of steeping and in terms of lack of guilt of brewing while writing or completing assignments or something) and they're easier on the wallet :D) and mostly have only drank oolong that was gifted from parents' friends/relatives/whatever. As gift teas, they're of course all packaged wonderfully, but quality is all over the place: sometimes really good, other times really mediocre, or otherwise just garbage. The best oolong I've ever had was one that I can't remember the packaging of and will always regret giving away the other pouch. But that was from when I was still in high school, and I can't be sure that it's not just my memory playing tricks on me and that maybe it was only good since it was the first time I appreciated something as exceptional rather than merely very good.

Anyway, all this is to say that I want to learn more about oolongs, specifically distinguishing things like minerality, cong wei, yan yun, how roast contributes, etc. instead of just associated tasting notes. I do appreciate the oolongs I have for what they are purely in terms of taste, but it frustrates me that I cannot distinguish those deeper and fundamental elements for myself despite having drank so many of them and trying to read people's descriptions of them. I know Lazy Cat tea used to have an educational sampler set on these things, but it's been out of stock and I don't know of any other vendor with something like that so this is indirect route I wanted to use.
            Andrew S

Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:37 pm

@m2193: I've had quite a bit of tea from David and Kathy at EoT over the years. I feel as though they have a reputation for being expensive, which I think is unfair, because to my mind at least, the price reflects the quality.

My rough summary just from memory of the ones that I've had, in case it is of any assistance:

2018 Zhang Hui Chun - Strong Roast Shui Xian (8g) - I've only tried it once, but I would describe it as 'chocolate roast'; very dark, very smooth, great if you want to practice the strong Chaozhou style of brewing or just try something that's been heavily roasted in a good way.

2019 Rui Quan ~ Jin Suo Shi Wuyi Yancha (15g) - medium-light roast, but enough oxidation that it comes across well (I don't like low-roasted yancha, but I've enjoyed a big bag of this over a year); quite elegant, easy to brew.

1997 "Horse Head Cliff" Shui Xian Wuyi Yancha (15g) - pleasantly aged, but still retains a bit of its youth, and the sui xian character comes across quite strongly; pleasant, relaxing tea.

2017 Handmade Tie Luo Han (10g) - medium-heavy roast (ie, neither too light, nor approaching chocolate; this is generally my preferred style), deep flavours, potent feeling, and I'd guess that it would age well. This is one that I've really enjoyed.

2018 EoT House Rou Gui Wuyi Yancha (25g) - pleasant everyday yancha; I've been brewing it very strongly in my imitation of the Chaozhou style, and it's done well. Medium roast, more particular about how it's brewed than the other ones here.

2019 Hui Chun ~ Bei Dou Wuyi Yancha (10g) - good example of a heavily-roasted tea (not yet 'chocolate' like the shui xian above, but a bit heavier than the tie luo han); compared to the 'full roast traditional' range from Daxue Jiadao, I feel that the Zhang Hui Chun ones from EoT provide much more feeling for me, but less precisely delineated flavours or aromas.

2018 EoT House Lao Cong Shui Xian (25g)- haven't had this one in a while, but I recall it being similar in roast style to the equivalent rou gui; perhaps a bit lighter in profile overall, and again somewhat more particular about how it is brewed than the others here.

Perhaps you could try the Zhang Hui Chun bei dou, the 2017 tie luo han, and the Rui Quan jin suo shi, for a comparison of different processing styles, but that's just me. And if you can, I'd recommend trying teh 1997 shui xian for an example of how aged yancha can taste, even if you only get a single session's worth to try.

I haven't worked out how those teas fit within your budget, but my own preference generally would be to try just a few in larger quantities (instead of trying all of them in smaller quantities), so that you can brew the same tea a few different times, without worrying that you've only got enough for a single session.

Something that I enjoy about the teas that David and Kathy source is that they tend to match my preference for teas that give me more than just flavour and aroma, and have a potent 'feeling' to them. But others will obviously have different preferences, and may simply not place any weight on the 'qi' aspects of tea.

Andrew
            Bok
            Vendor

Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:06 pm

I would suggest checking out Daxue Jiadao instead. The way they set up their lines, they are educational on many ways. You can either taste horizontally, say try all of say, heritage line. Or vertically, selecting different styles of the same tea.

My sampling of EoT was a few years back but I remember nothing was memorable and yes, a high price for what it was. You can dig up my review somewhere here kn the forum, but I think I toned down my disappointment back then. Lazy cat in comparison is already a good step above, while DXJD is way ahead of all of them at the moment. Clean, elegant, interesting and priced appropriately.

Things might have changed, as EoT seems to have taken a break from previous suppliers for a while and started anew with different sources.

Probably best to start with sample before committing to a more reasonable quantity.
            Andrew S

Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:57 pm

@Bok: that's interesting. My (very general) experience so far has been that the Daxue Jiadao teas taste more impressive than those from EoT, but the ones from EoT give me a much stronger feeling.

Perhaps that's just me... At least, that reflects my preference in tea. I wonder if anyone else has had similar experiences.

Andrew
            m2193

Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:03 pm

@Andrew S

Thanks for the notes! I think I'll have to up the budget. Given your notes, this is my finalised oolong list now:
            • 2018 Zhang Hui Chun - Strong Roast Shui Xian (8g)
              2020 100 years Lao Cong Shui Xian (8g)
              2020 Hui Yuan Keng Rou Gui (8g)
              1997 "Horse Head Cliff" Shui Xian Wuyi Yancha (15g) (only available in 15g sizing)
              2017 Handmade Tie Luo Han (10g)
              2018 EoT House Rou Gui Wuyi Yancha (25g)
              2019 Hui Chun ~ Bei Dou Wuyi Yancha (10g)
            @Bok

I saw your old reviews already actually, and it was a little off-putting. But with the other things I read on here and elsewhere, it seems that in the West, EoT is still probably one of the best options we have access to for Western facing vendors without completely hazarding a guess from random webshops of Asian-facing vendors.

I've kept note of DXDJ for a while since I keep hearing so many good things! Same problem with sticking to a budget... lol. Anyway, I was planning to wait until the spring to order from them and see if they hopefully restock the Explorer pack for their greens or expand the green offerings :)
            Bok
            Vendor

Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:50 pm

Andrew S wrote:
            Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:57 pm
            Bok: that's interesting. My (very general) experience so far has been that the Daxue Jiadao teas taste more impressive than those from EoT, but the ones from EoT give me a much stronger feeling.

Perhaps that's just me... At least, that reflects my preference in tea. I wonder if anyone else has had similar experiences.

Andrew
            Might be… I’m completely not paying attention to any feelings a tea might cause or not. Not that I’m not sensitive to so called “qi-sensations” as experienced in martial arts, but have never noticed anything close to it with tea. Except negative ones like nausea from some sheng or the obvious ill effects of some tea on empty stomachs.
            Andrew S

Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:32 am

m2193 wrote:
            Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:03 pm
            I've kept note of DXDJ for a while since I keep hearing so many good things! Same problem with sticking to a budget... lol. Anyway, I was planning to wait until the spring to order from them and see if they hopefully restock the Explorer pack for their greens or expand the green offerings :)
            You should definitely consider DXJD's teas as well for your future budget. I've enjoyed playing with them, and learning from them. Their various ranges (at least the yancha ones that I've tried) do feel like a careful curation within a particular style or category, which would be very useful in terms of differentiating between different teas, or different processing methods.

And like I've said elsewhere around here, I hope that the fact that it's called "Yancha Explorer Issue #1" means that there's a "#2" coming soon.

If you do go ahead with EoT for now, I'll be interested in hearing how they go for you. On the one hand, I'll feel somewhat responsible if I've led you astray. On the other hand, though, if it goes badly, you should feel free to send them over my way...

Andrew
            miig

Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:29 am

I've always had the impression that EoT delivered with their teas. Even though most of their teas are now out of my price range.
            I had a few of their handmade Yanchas and recently drank their 2015 handmade Dong Ding - good stuff.

Also Taiwan Tea Crafts - a good vendor in my book.
            m2193

Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:19 am

Andrew S wrote:
            Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:32 am
            And like I've said elsewhere around here, I hope that the fact that it's called "Yancha Explorer Issue #1" means that there's a "#2" coming soon.

If you do go ahead with EoT for now, I'll be interested in hearing how they go for you. On the one hand, I'll feel somewhat responsible if I've led you astray. On the other hand, though, if it goes badly, you should feel free to send them over my way...

Andrew
            They hinted to a Yancha explorer #2 in their last email! And that was back in August I believe, so any time now. What was in the Yancha explorer #1?

Alright, will let you know my thoughts when I get them then :D
            m2193

Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:21 am

miig wrote:
            Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:29 am
            I've always had the impression that EoT delivered with their teas. Even though most of their teas are now out of my price range.
            I had a few of their handmade Yanchas and recently drank their 2015 handmade Dong Ding - good stuff.

Also Taiwan Tea Crafts - a good vendor in my book.
            EoT doesn't sell any Taiwanese teas anymore. I mainly found out about them from their puer, and that's the main focus of my intended order, but I thought I'd pick up some oolong alongside. I wanted to try Tillerman's Laoshi Dong Ding but it sold out for this year so waiting until next year