Puerh Vendor Topic

Teachronicles

Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:13 pm

Does anyone have any experience with thetea.pl or adventureineverycup? Thetea.pl have some interesting puerh offerings. There's 99 8582 on thetea.pl for what I think is quite cheap 140$. Is that price normal for this tea and age? I'm always a bit skeptical when it comes to tea and am wondering if anyone has any knowledge or experience with these vendors.
mrmopu

Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:14 am

Teachronicles wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:13 pm
Does anyone have any experience with thetea.pl or adventureineverycup? Thetea.pl have some interesting puerh offerings. There's 99 8582 on thetea.pl for what I think is quite cheap 140$. Is that price normal for this tea and age? I'm always a bit skeptical when it comes to tea and am wondering if anyone has any knowledge or experience with these vendors.
Adventureineverycup is legit. He also writes a blog, he is known as Wison. Cwynn has written about him as well in her Death by tea blog. I have purchased from him myself as well.
Teachronicles

Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:35 pm

Anyone have experience with puerhshop.com?

Edit: I'm looking through the site and the prices are suspiciously low.
Ragamuffin
Artisan

Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:28 pm

Teachronicles wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:35 pm
Anyone have experience with puerhshop.com?

Edit: I'm looking through the site and the prices are suspiciously low.
They got in trouble a while back for selling fake aged factory teas. There prices generally are very low though and they have some decent teas as long as you don't go in with your expectations to high. I like their MGH (house brand) 1206 sheng brick.
aet
Vendor

Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:40 am

I kind of still don't understand how somebody can believe it's possible to buy 30y old sheng ( I mean real one ) . Those kind of pu-erhs are sold privately between rich Chinese tea lovers or in auctions for 10 - 40k CNY for 357g cake.
Even from 90's sheng is out of the pocket to most of us , and yet, there are on internet and trusting foreigners buying it:-))))
Good sheng from 2000y is in retail starts from 1000CNY on tea market if it hasn't been sitting in Guangzhou for 10years or so. And famous factories are the most fake-able ones.
ShuShu

Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:00 pm

mrmopu wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:01 am
Also this one.
www.liquidproust.com
Have you tried them? they have semi-a stuff that look interesting and was wondering whether they are legit
Teachronicles

Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:29 pm

ShuShu wrote:
mrmopu wrote:
Also this one.
www.liquidproust.com
Have you tried them? they have semi-a stuff that look interesting and was wondering whether they are legit
I'm sure others can attest to this, but liquidproust is legit. Offers samples of hard to find teas.
mrmopu

Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:13 pm

Teachronicles wrote:
ShuShu wrote:
mrmopu wrote:
Also this one.
www.liquidproust.com
I'm sure others can attest to this, but liquidproust is legit. Offers samples of hard to find teas.
Agreed. I know where he sources and sometimes we find stuff together. He is very legit and has a passion for helping the tea community.
Teachronicles

Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:09 pm

mrmopu wrote:
Teachronicles wrote:
ShuShu wrote:

Agreed. I know where he sources and sometimes we find stuff together. He is very legit and has a passion for helping the tea community.
If you don't wanna tell, no problem, but where does he source his teas? Ive discovered clouds tea house from him. I'm wondering where else he gets these rare teas.

Edit: I'm guessing also from taobao?
Teachronicles

Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:48 pm

Has anyone tried any of adventure in every cup's offerings? Specifically the 2014 xiaguan yuan ye, 2008 Taetea Dayi Qiu Xiang, or the 2008 Pu Xin Hao?
mrmopu

Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:53 pm

Teachronicles wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:09 pm
mrmopu wrote:
Teachronicles wrote:

If you don't wanna tell, no problem, but where does he source his teas? Ive discovered clouds tea house from him. I'm wondering where else he gets these rare teas.

Edit: I'm guessing also from taobao?
Taobao and contacts from the Sheng Olympics he does each year, We find private sellers as well that are selling parts of their collections. Also work with other ta vendors to do special cakes or items.
Teachronicles

Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:16 pm

Would you guys trust this? Price usd is around 700$, which seems pretty damn cheap to me for a 70s puer cake.
Brent D

Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:29 pm

I think I read somewhere that green on a tag will loose its blue over time and turn yellow.
I may have read this in a dream though :lol:
mrmopu

Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:36 pm

Approach with caution. I would sample first maybe. The older stuff can be very hard to identify if you weren't around when it was produced to learn what is what. For that kind of $ you could get some good stuff from a couple of other vendors. W2T and Essence of Tea have some excellent teas for near those prices. EoT has some older stuff as well from that age.
aet
Vendor

Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:53 am

in order to purchase an antique tea , you should be familiar with production concepts, packaging and sales ( when was sold to where etc. ) , import / export history over that decade, knowing the approximate market prices of such an antique in area / country u r buying it from ( knowing the local economy would be handy for that ) . That would help you to eliminate the obvious "fakes" . In order to get closer, you will need to in detail examine the wrapper and tea leafs it self. Close look , touch the paper ( to feel if not new ) , smell the leafs and of course / preferably to try the tea. For that you should be familiar with the storage and transformation / maturing taste in particular area/s or the places where the tea is claimed being stored in those all years. So u can actually compare what u drink with something what you have drunk ( legit one ) before. Does it make sense? ;-)
So if you do not posses this kind of skill package, you are ending up to rely on some reputable vendors.
In this case is very up to you , based on what criteria you select which vendor is trustworthy and which not.
To me, I can not rely on any recommendation from internet because I have never met people who recommend some shops so I don't know their level of knowledge about certain product ( in this case old tea ) , yet never bothered to browse a history of individuals in order to kind of know them. There are some people who are dedicated to old tea , vendors who are on FB groups. You might try to post the picture there and it's easier to browse trough the history of each individual to see how deep the his/hers knowledge is ( yet not 100% , coz many knowledgeable people do not post much ). But I believe it will help a bit to understand the persons background a bit.
If want to hear my personal opinion, I'm very skeptical to teas below 2000y which appearing on internet. Those kinda teas , at least in China, being usually sold offline or via wechat groups between trusted people. Now, don't take it as status quo. Things might be different in Mal, TW,HK.
Please note , that's only my very personal attitude : I'm not a person who on something because everybody on internet says so ;-) In past few years , being in tea biz, I see how that kinda believe / trust is being abused. There are some vendors who can get way with ridiculous claims just because they've built their reputation in the past, and now just drifting on the Chinese tea marketing concepts without filtering out those "fakes" since it is either too much hassle ( requires upgraded knowledge with developing tea market, time and failure sometimes ) or probably coz it sells better than real , more expensive stuff ( people like expensive tea for cheap ) .
As suggested here before, buy sample , if like the taste and thing it worth your hard earned money,then go for it. NO point to focus on Legit / Not Legit , if you are not a collector with skill set mentioned above.
have fun, and share with us the taste of that one, if u purchase it.