Yunnan Craft

LeoFox

Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:24 pm

I'm surprised there's no discussion of products from this vendor here, esp since the owner is our very own @aet.

https://www.yunnancraft.com/en/
SmartSelect_20210924-193931_Samsung Internet.jpg
SmartSelect_20210924-193931_Samsung Internet.jpg (168.69 KiB) Viewed 7378 times

@aet's blog is a treasure trove of information as well!

https://www.pageoftea.com/quality-of-tea

Information on specific gardens teas are sourced from:

https://www.pageoftea.com/category/tea-gardens

The level of transparency and low BS is very refreshing- and the prices seem very reasonable.

In any case, I bought some samples, and intend to post my experiences here. Am curious to hear other people's experiences as well.

Some nice posts on IG:

Last edited by LeoFox on Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:21 pm, edited 7 times in total.
teanik

Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:26 pm

LeoFox wrote:
In any case, I bought some samples, and intend to post my experiences here. Am curious to hear other people's experiences as well
And I would like to hear about any experiences with those Dai gaiwans. They're beautiful. Thank you in advance.
klepto

Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:34 am

LeoFox wrote:
I'm surprised there's no discussion of products from this vendor here, esp since the owner is our very own aet.

I follow yunnancraft on IG, didn't know it was aet. I'm already lurking on the site :D
Bok
Vendor

Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:37 pm

klepto wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:34 am
LeoFox wrote:
I'm surprised there's no discussion of products from this vendor here, esp since the owner is our very own aet.

I follow yunnancraft on IG, didn't know it was aet. I'm already lurking on the site :D
Stop lurking, try the teas, they are definitely worth it!

Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:18 am

I’ve tried their teas. Very very good. Planning a big order in the next few months.
klepto

Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:58 am

karma wrote:
I’ve tried their teas. Very very good. Planning a big order in the next few months.
hey @karma how's Austin these days? I saw some nice hong cha on his website and there's no stupid American/stupid westerner tax :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'll be making an order shortly, asked aet for some picks.
Nis

Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:20 pm

I've been meaning to make an order, ever since I first heard about them a few years ago, but somehow kept forgetting to do so :roll:

That oversight has now been corrected :)

Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:10 pm

klepto wrote:
karma wrote:
hey karma how's Austin these days? I saw some nice hong cha on his website and there's no stupid American/stupid westerner tax :lol: :lol: :lol:
Still hot, somehow.

I’d personally recommend (for puer, not hongcha) the 2007 Youle

https://www.yunnancraft.com/en/sheng-pu ... youle-shan

Gonna buy a cake. Very floral sweet, something closer to some oolongs than like HK puer.
aet
Vendor

Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:57 am

karma wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:10 pm
klepto wrote:
karma wrote:
hey karma how's Austin these days? I saw some nice hong cha on his website and there's no stupid American/stupid westerner tax :lol: :lol: :lol:
Still hot, somehow.

I’d personally recommend (for puer, not hongcha) the 2007 Youle

https://www.yunnancraft.com/en/sheng-pu ... youle-shan

Gonna buy a cake. Very floral sweet, something closer to some oolongs than like HK puer.
I have sold last cakes we had in our storage and managed to get from the producer 2 more pieces for old price . The reason why we restock so little is that this year we decided to invest more into our production rather than other producers ( we are saving money for next spring ) .

We already finished with Dayi and other big TF to follow . I guess those who read my blog, will understand why ;-)

Also the reason why I'm writing all that is not to push sales by creating some pressure ( limited stock concept ) , but to avoid some suspicion of manipulating with prices of recommended products. The price from producer and our margin we have on that tea was set 4 years ago and haven't changed since then, so next restock some raise is expected ( some other teas had gone trough the same , when I went for restocking , the price was higher than before despite of higher value in matter of taste......which is one of the reasons why we are aiming more into our stuff ) .

My apology for inconvenience and thanks for understanding!
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:09 am

aet wrote:
I have sold last cakes we had in our storage and managed to get from the producer 2 more pieces for old price....

Also the reason why I'm writing all that is not to push sales by creating some pressure ( limited stock concept ) , but to avoid some suspicion of manipulating with prices of recommended products. The price from producer and our margin we have on that tea was set 4 years ago and haven't changed since then, so next restock some raise is expected ( some other teas had gone trough the same , when I went for restocking , the price was higher than before despite of higher value in matter of taste......which is one of the reasons why we are aiming more into our stuff ) .

Please accept my admiration of your transparency. I also raise or lower prices due based on my cost; &, sometimes people believe changes in price are due to other reasons. Of course, there will be misunderstandings.

E.g., reading a description of the particular pu-erh in the post which sounds tasty, you mentioned sheng jing. I googled sheng jing & list of responses did not include a definition relating to your use of the phrase. Also you mentioned the scent of plums on dry wood. I cannot get my head around what you mean. (The juice of plums on wood, a specific aroma on wood from plums that is not the same as smelling it directly from the plums--& how is that different?)

I have a fresh plum & some prunes (dried plums). Perhaps I will put them on wood, after waiting a day or 2 (depending on whether I don't care by then).

All the best.
aet
Vendor

Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:22 pm

Ethan Kurland wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:09 am
aet wrote:
I have sold last cakes we had in our storage and managed to get from the producer 2 more pieces for old price....

Please accept my admiration of your transparency. I also raise or lower prices due based on my cost; &, sometimes people believe changes in price are due to other reasons. Of course, there will be misunderstandings.

E.g., reading a description of the particular pu-erh in the post which sounds tasty, you mentioned sheng jing. I googled sheng jing & list of responses did not include a definition relating to your use of the phrase. Also you mentioned the scent of plums on dry wood. I cannot get my head around what you mean. (The juice of plums on wood, a specific aroma on wood from plums that is not the same as smelling it directly from the plums--& how is that different?)

I have a fresh plum & some prunes (dried plums). Perhaps I will put them on wood, after waiting a day or 2 (depending on whether I don't care by then).

All the best.
Thanks;-)

Sheng Jing - I describe more in page linked in footer of our website.
https://www.yunnancraft.com/en/tea-vocabulary

Wood - I mostly refer to sensation as you are in sauna and pour the water on the hot wooden bench there. Not that aggressive of course but that kinda aroma which stays in sauna even many hours after. Mostly I refer to that when pouring hot water on dry leaves and this aroma would more than likely occur on KM stored tea ( so it's the first sign how to determine dry storage )

Plums - I mostly refer to Chinese plum , but because I'm limited only to 400 characters in description field on the product ( default from the template so I do not mess with it ) , some words I have to omit. This taste is sort of the touch of that "rotting - aka ageing " / transformation taste of the leaf , when those flowery notes are changing to sort of fruity ones. Chinese plum " mei zi " is also significant in Yiwu teas, but can be very well spotted in some Lincang puer.

In fact , the description of the aroma and taste doesn't have to be always distinguished because they are connected , both are usually reflected into each other. When I slurp in the cup and breathe out trough the nose , I can usually smell / taste similar notes I had from hot gaiwan aroma + some other stuff of course.

Also taste description is bit tricky because ageing , especially young puerh ,

Puerh is like a hair. When you cut it short down to 3mm ( young puer ) your friends will spot the difference every month as your hair grows ( every year for puer of KM storage / GZ storage can be every month ) .
When you let it grow for few years , the other following moths make not much visual difference and so the puer ( after 10 years the +1y is hard to detect ) .
I do taste our production after each year and modify the description , but just simply can't go trough all puerhs we offer because have tons of other samples lined up to taste as well.
Also the fact , that we are based in Kunming 1800m alt. ,water boils around at 94C and taste perception is also different ( let alone the water ) .
So that's why selling samples is so important , despite of being so much hassle for very little money , but I believe that helps to avoid many issues later.

Thanks for following up!
klepto

Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:10 pm

Thanks @aet, I made an attempt to sample everything I was interested in although it was hong cha and oolong.
I've kicked my puerh habit :mrgreen:. Your site is well made and I appreciate site maps and filters. I used to build a lot of websites in the distant past.. blegh!! :cry:
i_viter
Artisan

Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:25 pm

I’ve been restocking hongcha and some puers via Yunnancraft for several years (and it’s about time to order again before the shipping rush starts).
Can’t say nothing negative about them at all - communication is always great and friendly, with no even a hint of hidden marketing moves, and the most important part - teas are good, prices are fair.
You get exactly what you pay for, plus a good mood after interaction.
teabug

Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:35 pm

I’ve had a 2019 Wu Liang Shan Gushu which was outstanding and a 2009 Ye Sheng Cha Ya Bao which was so so. With total cost of shipping added, they seem more expensive than EoT though.
LeoFox

Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:48 pm

teabug wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:35 pm
I’ve had a 2019 Wu Liang Shan Gushu which was outstanding and a 2009 Ye Sheng Cha Ya Bao which was so so. With total cost of shipping added, they seem more expensive than EoT though.
Shipping was only 12$ (rounding up) for a ~280g order.