Yunnan Craft

LeoFox

Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:49 am

I prefer yc's method. Gives me flexibility to alter order or add in off menu items. Also I've found final shipping quote always to be the same as quoted by site or lower.
aet
Vendor

Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:12 am

teatray wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:12 am
Might be worth checking what exactly happened. As far as I know, there are several ways to request money on PayPal:
  1. classic money request with just a simple message -- a lazy way to request for businesses, but acceptable say for domestic shipments from one-man operations
  2. paypal invoice (with space for items, prices, shipping, company details, etc.) -- the professional way to send, also serves as proof of actual purchase prices in case the customer faces an invasive customs inspection
  3. newer ways to request money, incl. PayPal.me links, often coming from the mobile app, and actually requiring the sender to have a PayPal account
The first two support paying with card without having to register a PayPal account, after you click the Pay Now (or View & Pay Invoice) button. PayPal might nag you to register, but just persist and get to the card entry form. BONUS: Since you don't have an account, PayPal will not convert money for you, in case the money requested is in a foreign currency--your card will be charged in the foreign currency. (The money conversion thing is a scam that PayPal runs that overcharges you. They say it's so you can see the amount in your familiar card currency with "no hidden bank fees" that would be taken if they were to charge your card directly in the foreign currency--failing to mention that said hidden fees are a fraction of what PayPal's astonishingly bad exchange rates will add to your final cost. In fact, if you are paying a request in foreign currency and don't live in the EU or another area that forces PayPal to provide an opt-out at payment time, you *have* to pay without logging into your account to avoid paying PayPal several percent on top of your order amount.)

If seller requested using (1) or (2), you misinterpreted PayPal's request for account creation as a requirement for payment (which, in fairness, was probably a design goal for their site). IMHO a seller needs to know these things and assist you accordingly to get the payment through.

If seller requested using (3), they are causing their customers headaches & potentially additional expenses (unless card currency matches order currency) -- it's lazy & they should switch to (1) or (2), preferably (2).
[*] paypal invoice (with space for items, prices, shipping, company details, etc.) -- the professional way to send, also serves as proof of actual purchase prices in case the customer faces an invasive customs inspection

I have 2 orders , each for around 20+ samples . I can not imagine to let my wife sit at the computer an hour to just send a paypal request.
It is already a hassle with actual sticker on shipping where there is a requirement filling the China Post database with items we send. So the 1st option might be called "lazy" , but unfortunately this is the "only" reasonable option for this kind of concept we run the shop.
aet
Vendor

Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:21 am

Thundercleese wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:41 am
That's fair and I understand aet. I'm mostly bummed about the order not working out and I wish we could have found a solution. Hopefully sometime in the future. I respect the integrity of the goods on your site and your desire to keep shipping costs separate (though in my admittedly American view it's not intrinsically more dishonest than incorporating them into the price of goods, especially with an order minimum). I'm sure not having a Paypal account isn't an issue for 99% of your buyers.

If we're really being honest here I'm more sensitive because up until the end of last year I had a sibling who would just use Paypal for me. She died unexpectedly a few months ago and this reminded me of how much I miss her.

You're totally right Bok that it's an American way to look at things. Competitive capitalism is bred deeply into us, for better or for worse. :lol: The first rule of business that I was ever taught was "when someone puts money in your hand, close your hand."

I've only been to mainland China a few times and was surprised at how difficult it was to pay for things so I can only imagine the hassle of trying to pull off overseas transactions. Most of my experience in China was in HK pre-2019, which I know had its own financial deal with the rest of the world and even that's likely changed since then. Too bad crypto is illegal there or I would have just fired off some Ethereum to settle up. I don't remember if it was Sazen or another vendor that had "amazon pay" as an option, but looking into that might be feasible since I know amazon operates in China to some degree.
sorry to hear that.
I haven't unpacked your parcel yet. We will try to have a look at that 2nd option ( as your order is not that complicated ) , but as I mentioned before. We have never done it this way so can't say it that will work , also we have to fill all your details we have about you ( means sharing with 3rd. party ..which we promise in Terms & conditions we do not do that , and if there is a refund, I have no idea how to send you money back ) .
Will contact you via email.
teatray

Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:25 am

aet wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:12 am
I have 2 orders , each for around 20+ samples . I can not imagine to let my wife sit at the computer an hour to just send a paypal request.
It is already a hassle with actual sticker on shipping where there is a requirement filling the China Post database with items we send. So the 1st option might be called "lazy" , but unfortunately this is the "only" reasonable option for this kind of concept we run the shop.
I see your point. For one-man/family shops using the 1st option might be a necessity. If I get stuff via EMS from China, I ask for the PayPal invoice, because I know it gets inspected 100% of the time in my country, but that's not the case for others. But at some point of development, if PayPal remains the processor of choice, an online shop could automatically generate the invoices via their API: https://developer.paypal.com/docs/api/invoicing/v2/.
Thundercleese

Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:56 pm

@aet got it taken care of!! YC figured it out and sent me an invoice that I paid with a card without having to log in. :D Thanks all for the suggestions and feedback!
d.manuk

Sat Apr 22, 2023 4:00 pm

I'll give them a try
Iroh

Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:49 am

Thundercleese wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:15 am
If I'm reading the proverbial room correctly, it would seem that the consensus is that Yunnan Craft is generally superior to Yunnan Sourcing. Is that accurate? If so, why?
I'd say yes, but not as an indictment of Yunnan Sourcing. At the beginning of my tea journey, I ordered from both, and found excellent teas from both sites. YS has the larger site and selection, and my favourite teapot is a now discontinued item from them. YC has the better quality/price ratio and some really good teas and simply the best PuErh. You won't go wrong ordering from either, but for me, I chose YC as my main vendor. Try out samples from both, and also from other recommended vendors, before making up your mind. And remember it's not a marriage. I buy 80% of my tea from YC, and that's fine, but if I told my wife I got 80% of my sex from her she'd get rather upset!
LeoFox

Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:31 am

Iroh wrote:
. And remember it's not a marriage. I buy 80% of my tea from YC, and that's fine, but if I told my wife I got 80% of my sex from her she'd get rather upset!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:33 am

Iroh wrote:
..... And remember it's not a marriage. I buy 80% of my tea from YC, and that's fine, but if I told my wife I got 80% of my sex from her she'd get rather upset!
Welcome to the teaforum, Iroh!

Yes, buying from > than 1 vendor is not the same as intimate relations w/ multiple partners; nonetheless, I am disappointed when customers haves highly praised my teas then try other teas similar to the ones obtained from me. They wrote of flavors loved & good value yet may take years to buy from me again; or, perhaps repeat an order .... I am hurt. :|

I would accept 80% fidelity w/o emotional turmoil, if customers thought of my teas while drinking others' tea. That seems reasonable. My 100% faithfulness to my girlfriend this whole century is possible because 20% of the time w/ her, I think of others....I hope I have some customers reading this; &, if so, please don't tell me that you think of others' tea when you drink mine! I don't know how I would feel. :)

Oh, we should stick to writing about tea: This Winter at the highest quality level, I feel there was not enough difference (if any) between Shanlinxi & Foushoushan & Dayuling to lead a sensible buyer to obtain the FSS & DYL which are much more expensive than the SLX. Customers who have bought FSS & DYL from me in the past, did not allow me to lead them to the SLX. Perhaps I needed to suggest that one can fantasize that FSS and/or DYL is in one's cup when drinking the SLX.............. :roll:
vgamedude

Tue May 02, 2023 6:05 pm

Hello. I still need to order my set of fresh 2023 tea and I've been waiting for stock at some certain sites (Thes du Japon for one) and I think I'm going to give Yunnan craft a try as far as the Chinese side of fresh teas are concerned. I've noticed it seems some vendors seem to be taking longer to get some new stock this season, I've been waiting for gyokuro and more Sencha from Thes du Japon, but insofar as Yunnan Craft is concerned does the owner or anyone here have any idea when we can expect some young sheng and maybe some purple teas from this season and some more teas to be listed? I know there is some greens and blacks but I don't want to order now if other stock I'm interested in is coming pretty soon.

Thanks for reading.
aet
Vendor

Tue May 02, 2023 8:49 pm

vgamedude wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 6:05 pm
Hello. I still need to order my set of fresh 2023 tea and I've been waiting for stock at some certain sites (Thes du Japon for one) and I think I'm going to give Yunnan craft a try as far as the Chinese side of fresh teas are concerned. I've noticed it seems some vendors seem to be taking longer to get some new stock this season, I've been waiting for gyokuro and more Sencha from Thes du Japon, but insofar as Yunnan Craft is concerned does the owner or anyone here have any idea when we can expect some young sheng and maybe some purple teas from this season and some more teas to be listed? I know there is some greens and blacks but I don't want to order now if other stock I'm interested in is coming pretty soon.

Thanks for reading.
Hello

This year harvest was very poor ( too dry ) , so not much tea around. Some trees this year weren't even harvested.
We significantly reduced of stocking up a loose puerh due to the very low sell and high in volume ( taking up too much of storage ).
Beacuse of the scarcity ( good loose leaf limitation ) we decided this year to prioritize our wholesale parnters who press with us for their brand.
Under our brand we press what we do not sell till the autumn , I guess.
So far for us , we have only 1.6kg Single old wild tree in press factory now ;-) ..that's just a hobby batch we made into 100g cakes.

Tai Di Cha ( tea from bushes ) should be more available , but we don't press neither offer for pressing. The purple is tai di and we have some from previous years ( see Category in main menu ) . This year I was asking about Zi Juan when I was in Puer and I was told that they harvest now on special order only , because demand for this tea significantly dropped down.
I'm still in search of Zi Ya and Zi Juan in good quality , but this year seems to be very difficult.

In Yunnan the spring harvest is basically almost over, from next month the summer harvest starts and I suspect there will no be rain but hailstones in full blast ( which will demage trees as couple years ago in Yiwu ) .
vgamedude

Tue May 02, 2023 8:57 pm

aet wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 8:49 pm
Hello

This year harvest was very poor ( too dry ) , so not much tea around. Some trees this year weren't even harvested.
We significantly reduced of stocking up a loose puerh due to the very low sell and high in volume ( taking up too much of storage ).
Beacuse of the scarcity ( good loose leaf limitation ) we decided this year to prioritize our wholesale parnters who press with us for their brand.
Under our brand we press what we do not sell till the autumn , I guess.
So far for us , we have only 1.6kg Single old wild tree in press factory now ;-) ..that's just a hobby batch we made into 100g cakes.

Tai Di Cha ( tea from bushes ) should be more available , but we don't press neither offer for pressing. The purple is tai di and we have some from previous years ( see Category in main menu ) . This year I was asking about Zi Juan when I was in Puer and I was told that they harvest now on special order only , because demand for this tea significantly dropped down.
I'm still in search of Zi Ya and Zi Juan in good quality , but this year seems to be very difficult.

In Yunnan the spring harvest is basically almost over, from next month the summer harvest starts and I suspect there will no be rain but hailstones in full blast ( which will demage trees as couple years ago in Yiwu ) .
Thank you for the fast response. Maybe I will just order some of last years material of purple then or just some green that you currently have, I don't know now. I got interested in purple tea after having a barrel aged purple maocha not too long ago that was an absolutely fantastic tea. The harvest in Japan must've been poor as well as in Yunnan, I saw where o-cha had a sort of mini disclaimer about the quality of the 2023 harvest. Pretty unfortunate.

I'm personally very fond of maocha young puer myself I understand from my limited browsing here that that is not everyones cup of tea but so far it is what I have enjoyed.
Bok
Vendor

Tue May 02, 2023 9:00 pm

@aet Thanks for this detailed update and explanations! Seems the situation is similar to Taiwan... not sure how this spring teas will turn out.
aet
Vendor

Tue May 02, 2023 9:13 pm

vgamedude wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 8:57 pm
Thank you for the fast response. Maybe I will just order some of last years material of purple then or just some green that you currently have, I don't know now. I got interested in purple tea after having a barrel aged purple maocha not too long ago that was an absolutely fantastic tea. The harvest in Japan must've been poor as well as in Yunnan, I saw where o-cha had a sort of mini disclaimer about the quality of the 2023 harvest. Pretty unfortunate.

I'm personally very fond of maocha young puer myself I understand from my limited browsing here that that is not everyones cup of tea but so far it is what I have enjoyed.
The fresh mao cha you like drinking , I can only assume , that would be the one with higher temp. kill green ( aka Xin Gong Yi - new concept puerh ) which promotes the aroma and sweetnes above the bitternes and astringancy . We generally buy traditional concept of processing mao cha because we believe it is better for pressing and futher ageing.
The loose leaf ( any ) is oxidising and in Kunming dry environment ( although we have sotrage near by lake ) also dying off , so wee keep all in sealed estate ( except the big 10-20kg boxes which we press withing half year or so..as I nentioned for pressing ) .

I can sell you some loose sheng 2023 we have here for pressing but not more than 50g / tea. If interested , please do not hesitate and PM for list.
vgamedude

Wed May 03, 2023 12:37 am

aet wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 9:13 pm
The fresh mao cha you like drinking , I can only assume , that would be the one with higher temp. kill green ( aka Xin Gong Yi - new concept puerh ) which promotes the aroma and sweetnes above the bitternes and astringancy . We generally buy traditional concept of processing mao cha because we believe it is better for pressing and futher ageing.
The loose leaf ( any ) is oxidising and in Kunming dry environment ( although we have sotrage near by lake ) also dying off , so wee keep all in sealed estate ( except the big 10-20kg boxes which we press withing half year or so..as I nentioned for pressing ) .

I can sell you some loose sheng 2023 we have here for pressing but not more than 50g / tea. If interested , please do not hesitate and PM for list.
Thank you for the information. I don't think I can PM as a new user, or at the very list it's blank for me when I visit your profile, but If it's not a lot of trouble for you I may be interested in adding a few (assuming you mean not more than 50g of each type) to an order on your site if possible if you can PM me (not even sure if that works). If it's too much trouble for you don't worry about it though.

I had a friend who had a maocha from the Lincang area that he was very fond of so I am interested in trying tea from that area in particular. Appreciate the communication regardless of whether or not you're able to do so, thanks again.