TeaVivre

Victoria
Admin

Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:15 pm

The TeaVivre site seems to be working now https://www.teavivre.com/. Even so @Bub this might be an opportunity to explore other green teas. Our tea Vendor Discussion & Recommendation forum has several green tea threads and recommendations.
Bub

Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:01 pm

It's interesting. TeaVivre still doesn't work for me. I've tried 4 different browsers; Edge, Google Chrome, Opera, and Firefox. Firefox gives me this message: The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified. Opera tells me to contact the site owner. How am I supposed to be able to do that if I can't connect to the site? It is the only website I'm having difficulty with.

I have changed nothing and I've bought from these people for at least two years. Weird. Thanks for the tip about other sources. I guess I'm going to have to look into that.
Victoria
Admin

Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:11 pm

@Bub maybe take a look at these high quality, reputable, and local US based Chinese green tea vendors viewtopic.php?p=24573#p24573

Tea Habitat has excellent LongJin (Dragon Well) and she’s here in Los Angeles.
Bub

Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:40 pm

I looked at the vendors in the link. Thanks. But, the prices. I've gotten beautiful Long Jing from Teavivre for less than $20 for 100g.

I found that I have their e-mail address and have sent them a message. Hopefully I will hear back.
mbanu

Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:49 pm

Bub wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:01 pm
It's interesting. TeaVivre still doesn't work for me. I've tried 4 different browsers; Edge, Google Chrome, Opera, and Firefox. Firefox gives me this message: The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified. Opera tells me to contact the site owner. How am I supposed to be able to do that if I can't connect to the site? It is the only website I'm having difficulty with.

I have changed nothing and I've bought from these people for at least two years. Weird. Thanks for the tip about other sources. I guess I'm going to have to look into that.
It looks like they have not updated their website's security correctly for all of their web pages; that might be the cause of the trouble. When I go to their main page, www.teavivre.com, it comes up OK, but if I shorten it to simply teavivre.com, this causes problems, because they have not set up their website to load the page securely that way. If you are using a phone, you can try their mobile site, https://m.teavivre.com/.
Bub

Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:47 pm

Thanks. I tried www.teavivre.com and got the same results. I've already gotten a response from my e-mail. They assure me they are still there and have reported my problem to their tech team. Maybe it's a glitch that they can fix soon. I appreciate all the responses.
Bub

Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:50 pm

I solved my TeaVivre problem. My Avast antivirus software was blocking them. I had to disable HTTPS scanning.

TeaVivre must have made some change that triggered the block. I sent them an e-mail with the Avast error message. Maybe they can fix it. If I had a problem, I assume other users of Avast might too.

Thanks again for the comments.
Victoria
Admin

Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:44 pm

Bub wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:40 pm
I looked at the vendors in the link. Thanks. But, the prices. I've gotten beautiful Long Jing from Teavivre for less than $20 for100g.
@Bub,There are so many grades of Long Jing. If you ever want to try something new... :)
Bub

Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:37 pm

Victoria wrote:
Bub,There are so many grades of Long Jing. If you ever want to try something new... :)
Thanks, but I find the tea I’ve been drinking very pleasant, and I’ll leave the finer stuff for those with more discerning palates. I also buy my wine in a box and have never paid for Starbucks coffee.
LeoFox

Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:27 am

Bub wrote:
Victoria wrote:
Bub,There are so many grades of Long Jing. If you ever want to try something new... :)
Thanks, but I find the tea I’ve been drinking very pleasant, and I’ll leave the finer stuff for those with more discerning palates. I also buy my wine in a box and have never paid for Starbucks coffee.
Long jing is typically considered to have one of the worst price to value ratios. Since you like greens, you may want to consider trying Japanese green tea from places like o-cha and thes du japon. Their cheaper offerings range from 10-20$ per 100g - incredible value for the price.
Bub

Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:34 pm

LeoFox wrote:
Bub wrote:
Victoria wrote:
Long jing is typically considered to have one of the worst price to value ratios. Since you like greens, you may want to consider trying Japanese green tea from places like o-cha and thes du japon. Their cheaper offerings range from 10-20$ per 100g - incredible value for the price.
My understanding of Japanese teas is that all but the most expensive are machine harvested, meaning you get pieces of larger leaves and stems in your tea. I don't see any of that in my Long Jing.
LeoFox

Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:50 pm

Bub wrote:
LeoFox wrote:
Bub wrote:

My understanding of Japanese teas is that all but the most expensive are machine harvested, meaning you get pieces of larger leaves and stems in your tea. I don't see any of that in my Long Jing.
My family is from Zhejiang and I basically grew up drinking long jing. Most of my family in that area only drink long jing. When they are given other types of tea, even at top quality, they will drink it, say it is nice and then not touch it again. So I understand the appeal of long jing.

Now I will say that when I first had japanese greens, just like when you switched from Lipton to teavivre, I was shocked at the quality difference relative to price.

Hand picked low quality tea with poorly regulated agricultural and processing practices will not hold a candle to the tightly controlled japanese approach. Of course when you get to full hand processed long jing with top grade material, the story is different but you are definitely not getting that at your price point. If anything, these everyday sencha options are worth a try given their amazing price point.
Balthazar

Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:27 pm

Bub wrote:
Thanks, but I find the tea I’ve been drinking very pleasant, and I’ll leave the finer stuff for those with more discerning palates.
I have to take the opportunity to commend you for your this healthy attitude. And welcome to the forum :)

By the way, Jing Tea Shop has a very reasonable Long Jing. I haven't tried it myself (did try their pricier Long Jing though, before I mostly stopped drinking Chinese green teas), but have found other teas from this vendor to have a good price-to-quality ratio.
Bub

Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:36 pm

LeoFox wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:50 pm
Bub wrote:
LeoFox wrote:

My family is from Zhejiang and I basically grew up drinking long jing. Most of my family in that area only drink long jing. When they are given other types of tea, even at top quality, they will drink it, say it is nice and then not touch it again. So I understand the appeal of long jing.

Now I will say that when I first had japanese greens, just like when you switched from Lipton to teavivre, I was shocked at the quality difference relative to price.

Hand picked low quality tea with poorly regulated agricultural and processing practices will not hold a candle to the tightly controlled japanese approach. Of course when you get to full hand processed long jing with top grade material, the story is different but you are definitely not getting that at your price point. If anything, these everyday sencha options are worth a try given their amazing price point.
Thank you. I may give sencha a try. But, I suspect my old taste buds won't know the difference. I've tried samples of more expensive teas, and read reviews where people claim to taste all sorts of good things in them. I don't. There are differences, but to me, my low grade Long Jing tastes just as good.
Bub

Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:40 pm

Balthazar wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:27 pm
Bub wrote:
Thanks, but I find the tea I’ve been drinking very pleasant, and I’ll leave the finer stuff for those with more discerning palates.
I have to take the opportunity to commend you for your this healthy attitude. And welcome to the forum :)

By the way, Jing Tea Shop has a very reasonable Long Jing. I haven't tried it myself (did try their pricier Long Jing though, before I mostly stopped drinking Chinese green teas), but have found other teas from this vendor to have a good price-to-quality ratio.
Thank you. And I appreciate the tip.