Tong Xin She (TXS) Teahouse

Bok
Vendor

Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:43 pm

Aet to the rescue! He summed that up better.
klepto

Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:54 pm

I've had more than a few things from TXS, whomever is responsible for roasting those teas must like coffee tbh. The roast overpowered the normal profile of yancha. I still have a few tins of txs like dan gui and others that I probably won't ever drink. :cry: I remember when someone suggested I try them, they said to open up the tin and air it out so the roast dies down. Oof.. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Chadrinkincat

Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:56 pm

klepto wrote:
I've had more than a few things from TXS, whomever is responsible for roasting those teas must like coffee tbh. The roast overpowered the normal profile of yancha. I still have a few tins of txs like dan gui and others that I probably won't ever drink. :cry: I remember when someone suggested I try them, they said to open up the tin and air it out so the roast dies down. Oof.. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
That sounds like terrible advice. I normally air out whatever I plan to use for a session but never the full tin/bag.
Bok
Vendor

Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:39 pm

Chadrinkincat wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:56 pm
klepto wrote:
That sounds like terrible advice. I normally air out whatever I plan to use for a session but never the full tin/bag.
The underlying advice in that case would be for me to not buy a tea which needs such treatment : - )
Sunyata

Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:58 am

I guess clarity of tea would be how well it expresses flavors, how distinct and easy it will be to pick out one over the other(s), etc. In this case TXS yanchas do tend to be on the heavier roasted side. Probably 3 more years to let them rest and I feel they will hit their stride (hopefully).

It is true that finding good teas is very hard in Singapore. We are very much heavily influenced by the West - hence, coffee cafes are all the hype here while tea houses can't really survive financially here. Most of them supply commercial grade tea so the quality is low-medium, emphasis on quantity has made it difficult for tea-lovers here to take the next step in drinking better tea. Cost of living here is one of the highest in the world, and then factor in the cost of running a tea-house where local tea culture is nowhere as robust as Malaysia.
JournalerMarie

Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:18 am

Thanks for sharing! This was a useful read.
LeoFox

Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:24 pm

Thanks to a generous gifted sample from @Victoria, i am able to try a tie Luo han from txs.

As someone noted above, definitely has a coffee like character - but a bit more than that too.