Bitterleaf Teas

YahYue

Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:30 pm

Welcome to the Bitterleaf Teas discussion topic!

Been a lurker for a while and have seen some references here and there regarding Bitterleaf's tea offerings. Since they are doing a 5 year anniversary sale right now and have a promo for their teas, I was curious as to some thoughts on their teas?

I've previously only purchases their 2019 White Crow Lincang Shoumei White Tea cakes and, after a few months to settle, have come to the decision that I should have bought more. I am curious about some of their sheng offers for this year, as I am starting to get into that category, and was wondering if their regional offerings come close to what (however you want to make of it) most would consider tasting notes? I am planning on getting some Yiwu and want to contrast it to some other, older, Yiwu samples I am expecting from Chantingpines (Thanks you to this board btw for helping guide me in evaluating their clay).

Overall, other than their teas I have been following their social media presence and really have appreciated their occasional educational or clay ware production videos. My interactions with them have always been super pleasant and I get the impression that they do make the effort to visit their producers and observe how their tea is grown, harvested and finished.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Last edited by pedant on Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: mod edit: added link
Pan

Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:52 am

just recently bought a 2019 big old ass tree from them, love every drop of it and just lovley texture and form
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 10.11.10 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 10.11.10 PM.png (694.81 KiB) Viewed 2261 times
YahYue

Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:24 pm

L.S.G.artapprentice wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:52 am
just recently bought a 2019 big old ass tree from them, love every drop of it and just lovley texture and form
Very nice! Love the colour on that.

Since I made this post I ended up buying a few cakes from their 2020 Yunnan collection that I plan on letting age a bit. I liked that they had dragonballs for each of their puer blends, so that helped me figure out what I may like in a few years. That being said, I got one of their 2021 Kunlu and will probably break into that once I finish the last of my Kuura Psychotropical (my first cake of raw puer: very nice!). The Kunlu just smells so ... fresh.

I also picked up a few of their white tea cakes since I really enjoyed the 2019 White Crow Shomei. Gonna break out the 2020 and do a comparison this weekend.
m2193

Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:26 pm

Finally received my order today that I placed back in October during the Anniversary sale! Everything was packaged very nicely (not just bubble wrap with layered tape stuffed everywhere, which is fine, but this definitely looked nicer) and securely; no complaints there. Wish I'd picked up some more shou than the LCT though; have heard good things about their shou, price:performance wise.
IMG_6644.jpg
IMG_6644.jpg (104.99 KiB) Viewed 1669 times
IMG_6646.jpg
IMG_6646.jpg (88.93 KiB) Viewed 1669 times
IMG_6647.jpg
IMG_6647.jpg (136.24 KiB) Viewed 1669 times
One complaint I do have is that I ordered on the 25th, received tracking information on the 29th, everything so good so far, but on November 5th received an email about a partial refund as one of the items I ordered (a gaiwan), went out of stock. I understand that they were probably busy during their sale and so didn't check in, but I would've preferred to know before the rest of my items shipped so I could've gotten something else instead of just finding out a week after shipment via a refund email out of the blue that one of the items wasn't in there (especially since ordering teaware was the initial draw).