Yancha Vendors: Highest Grade vs Bang for Buck Vendor Recommendations

pantry

Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:18 pm

Bok wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:07 pm
You have to remember that in order to sell in the West, certain costs have to be added on top, so whatever price you are paying in NY is likely just a third or less in retail in China... which would then again not put it into premium but maybe downgrade to upper medium.

I really have a hard time imaging how a Western operation would even lay their hands on the premium stuff in the first place, when competition over this very rare stuff is already very fierce in China and by extension, Asia itself? Adding to that that people do have the money and are willing to spend it in a way the average Western tea freak won’t. Good and decent tea yes. But not the premium, I really doubt that.
I have always suspected that there must be a segment of tea that's more profitable to sell to export as premium, and I'm guessing it's somewhere in the upper middle, not the very top. An average local isn't going to pay a premium for their daily tea, just as an average US household would get their coffee/tea from grocery stores. Then there are the uber rich who'd snap up all the highest quality tea. There must be a lot in between that are a bit too expensive for average local tea lovers without a deep pocket, and not good enough for those with serious $$$
pantry

Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:27 pm

Also, I'm happy to organize a group buy for these premium Kobe stuff. I won't guarantee that it's good. I just know it's expensive :lol:
Bok
Vendor

Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:36 pm

pantry wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:18 pm
There must be a lot in between that are a bit too expensive for average local tea lovers without a deep pocket, and not good enough for those with serious $$$
That is the hope!

But in terms of quantity, there really isn't much to begin with, at least if we are talking Zhengyan. Even the mediocre stuff can still be sold at very high prices... and if we compare the few billions of Tea-drinking Chinese people, I am sure there are enough of every kind of wallet available, not forgetting that China also now has a growing middle class with an appetite for good and nice things.
Chadrinkincat

Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:39 pm

@mafoofan

This vendor is located it The East village neighborhood of Manhattan. Their rent is $$$$$
pantry

Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:40 pm

Bok wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:36 pm

That is the hope!

But in terms of quantity, there really isn't much to begin with, at least if we are talking Zhengyan. Even the mediocre stuff can still be sold at very high prices... and if we compare the few billions of Tea-drinking Chinese people, I am sure there are enough of every kind of wallet available, not forgetting that China also now has a growing middle class with an appetite for good and nice things.
Luckily the younger generation are more into bubble tea and coffee now! Speaking of which, I should really get my Dalgona coffee going before it's no longer trending :lol:
mafoofan

Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:45 pm

Chadrinkincat wrote:
mafoofan

This vendor is located it The East village neighborhood of Manhattan. Their rent is $$$$$
East Village is relatively cheap for Manhattan :)

But how does this relate to the quality of the tea? If it is good/premium yancha, I am willing to pay a local vendor with a physical store.
mafoofan

Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:47 pm

Also, nobody really commented on Rui Quan as a maker. How does their fully handmade yancha rank?
pantry

Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:58 pm

mafoofan wrote:
Also, nobody really commented on Rui Quan as a maker. How does their fully handmade yancha rank?
This video should tell you something about their tea: https://www.iqiyi.com/v_19rqyza4zo.html

However, David at EoT commented recently on their declining quality (or perhaps their top ones are getting more and more expensive). Some members here and at Teachat swore by it in the past. I've tried some of their tea, and all I can say is the quality/price is fair according to Yancha pricing.
Bok
Vendor

Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:02 pm

pantry wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:40 pm
Luckily the younger generation are more into bubble tea and coffee now! Speaking of which, I should really get my Dalgona coffee going before it's no longer trending :lol:
Not so sure about that... if you look around, there is more and more tea places and shops popping up, focusing on a younger generation with different esthetic than the older generation, influenced by Taiwanese and Japanese tea culture. I see a lot of tea rooms opening in Taiwan at the moment. And Yancha has always been the tea of the elite and privileged anyways, that doesn't change so much at all.
Chadrinkincat

Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:05 pm

mafoofan wrote:
Chadrinkincat wrote:
mafoofan

But how does this relate to the quality of the tea? If it is good/premium yancha, I am willing to pay a local vendor with a physical store.
A $2/g tea in Manhattan is everywhere else’s $.75-1.00/g tea.
mafoofan

Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:08 pm

Chadrinkincat wrote:
mafoofan wrote:
Chadrinkincat wrote:
mafoofan

But when you look at where they are sourcing their Yancha, often the very prized micro-terroirs, the prices don’t seem that off-market.

Just seems to me an assessment of the tea itself is necessary to pass judgment, rather than making assumptions and inferences based on geography and real estate.
mafoofan

Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:26 pm

pantry wrote:
mafoofan wrote:
This video should tell you something about their tea: https://www.iqiyi.com/v_19rqyza4zo.html

However, David at EoT commented recently on their declining quality (or perhaps their top ones are getting more and more expensive). Some members here and at Teachat swore by it in the past. I've tried some of their tea, and all I can say is the quality/price is fair according to Yancha pricing.
What about www.yuanyuntea.com? Singapore based. They also sell Rui Quan.
Demea

Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:59 pm

mafoofan wrote:
Chadrinkincat wrote:
mafoofan wrote:

But when you look at where they are sourcing their Yancha, often the very prized micro-terroirs, the prices don’t seem that off-market.

Just seems to me an assessment of the tea itself is necessary to pass judgment, rather than making assumptions and inferences based on geography and real estate.
I’m speaking from my experience of having the tea there a number of times. It’s definitely “meh”, IMO. You are of course welcome to pay whatever vendor you choose, but I think there are at least two or three places where you can get better yancha from brick and mortar vendors in NYC alone...
pantry

Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:50 pm

mafoofan wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:26 pm
pantry wrote:
mafoofan wrote:

What about www.yuanyuntea.com? Singapore based. They also sell Rui Quan.
They get their yancha from Henry of CZJ—same source as CP. Check EoT too. I think they still have some of their SX or TLH
mafoofan

Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:00 pm

Demea wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:59 pm
mafoofan wrote:
Chadrinkincat wrote:

I’m speaking from my experience of having the tea there a number of times. It’s definitely “meh”, IMO. You are of course welcome to pay whatever vendor you choose, but I think there are at least two or three places where you can get better yancha from brick and mortar vendors in NYC alone...
Did you try the super high-end stuff?