Chanting Pines

TeaTotaling

Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:48 am

pantry wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:40 am
TeaTotaling wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:11 am

Thank you! At first I was hesitant to go for the 50ml., but I figured it would be good to have one in the bunch, good for small sessions. I'm just not sure which tea I will use it for. What is your smallest pot, what tea do you use it for, and what are your thoughts on functionality?

I'm really excited about the Duo Qiu. I'm thinking that will be my Wuyi Pot. I saw another person who posted pictures of their's earlier in the thread, and the clay looks amazing! Better than on the website, better than I expected.

I'm looking to devote the Hongni to lighter Oolong's, and the Xian Piao to darker Oolong's. That just leaves the 50ml. Pan Hu. Not sure if a combination of Shou, Liu Bao, and Black/Red Tea would work?? Those are three styles I don't go for frequently, at least currently.
I also have a 45ml, but the spout is smaller than your Pan Hu, making it impossible for flash infusions. I've tried using it for aged puerh and Yancha. It's not bad at all, but don't expect it to be the same as reduced volume of a bigger pot. Use it with tea that doesn't expand as much with brewing. If I had your pan hu, I'd probably try it with Yancha or Oolong first.

Doesn't look like you get a bronze grade pot, but that would be my pick for ripe/liu bao since it mutes the most. To be honest, I don't have a pot for those teas as I also don't drink often, but I'd imagine it needs a bigger pot.

Btw, whatever you do, please don't cook your pot in tea ...these pots develop natural patina quite quickly, and the result would be better than artificial cooking. ;) In fact, you probably wouldn't need to boil these pots in water at all. Just rinse it multiple time with hot water, and maybe fill it with some and let sit for 30 min or so.
Good to know, thanks for the insight!

I certainly will not be cooking my pots. I prefer to let them season naturally, as you have recommended. I performed a boiling rinse a few times on my current Zini Pot, and it did the trick. I do like to let the leaves sit in the pot after use, to enhance the seasoning, and it has really come along nicely.
TeaTotaling

Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:52 am

klepto wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:31 pm
TeaTotaling wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:55 am
klepto wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:14 pm

I got the 120ml Ju Lun Zhu yixing pot that was bronze grade, although I was looking at a silver grade but it was sold out before I could grab it.
Nice choice! I really like the style of these Ju Lun Zhus. Any idea what type of tea you will devote to it?
I'll be using it for oolongs, that is all I have in my war chest :D. When I get another I'll be delving into the world of raw puerh but so far it tastes like sour wet leaves. I'm not sure what the fuss is all about but I'm game to try.
Nice choice! Yea, Raw Puerh can be an acquired taste. I enjoy it, but I find Aged Raw of 5+ years to be really special. Much more mellow, the aging develops some lovely flavors.
klepto

Sat May 30, 2020 3:49 pm

Here's some probably badly taken pics of my bronze grade zini yixing teapot from CP:
20200528_223140.jpg
20200528_223140.jpg (115.62 KiB) Viewed 7238 times
20200528_223254.jpg
20200528_223254.jpg (130.61 KiB) Viewed 7238 times
20200528_223412.jpg
20200528_223412.jpg (160.89 KiB) Viewed 7238 times
20200528_223503.jpg
20200528_223503.jpg (167.86 KiB) Viewed 7238 times
TeaTotaling

Sat May 30, 2020 7:24 pm

klepto wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 3:49 pm
Here's some probably badly taken pics of my bronze grade zini yixing teapot from CP:

Nice! Clay and craftsmanship look solid. How are you enjoying it? Have you compared a side by side of a tea brewed in a neutral vessel, vs. the Zisha?
klepto

Sun May 31, 2020 12:59 pm

TeaTotaling wrote:

Nice! Clay and craftsmanship look solid. How are you enjoying it? Have you compared a side by side of a tea brewed in a neutral vessel, vs. the Zisha?
Oh I am very much enjoying it. I've brewed the same puerh in a porcelain gaiwan, but doing it at the same time would give me some good insights. Great idea!
TeaTotaling

Sun May 31, 2020 2:07 pm

klepto wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 12:59 pm
TeaTotaling wrote:

Oh I am very much enjoying it. I've brewed the same puerh in a porcelain gaiwan, but doing it at the same time would give me some good insights. Great idea!
Yes indeed, give it a whirl!

Mine should be in this week, and I've been on the edge of my seat. Just received my antique, and vintage pots. I am looking forward to comparing antique Zini against Wuxing Shan Fang's Zini. I know Zini needs some time to come into it's own, but I still want to note any subtle differences I come across initially. I'll be brewing the same Sheng in a gaiwan, Wuxing Shan Fang's Zini, and antique Zini. Should be fun, can't wait!
TeaTotaling

Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:20 pm

@klepto Finally received one of my teaware orders today!! The Xian Piao teapot looks, feels, and smells amazing! Definitely some awesome clay to behold and feel. I can't wait to take it for a spin tomorrow! Also, got the Zisha Kettle today as well, clay is on point. Spring water will forever be changed, for the better, pouring out of this beauty.

I am sharing your excitement, Pines for the win! :D
klepto

Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:32 pm

TeaTotaling wrote:
klepto Finally received one of my teaware orders today!! The Xian Piao teapot looks, feels, and smells amazing! Definitely some awesome clay to behold and feel. I can't wait to take it for a spin tomorrow! Also, got the Zisha Kettle today as well, clay is on point. Spring water will forever be changed, for the better, pouring out of this beauty.

Wow zisha kettle, very interesting. What type of tea are you going to dedicate your teapot to?
TeaTotaling

Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:10 pm

klepto wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:32 pm
TeaTotaling wrote:
klepto Finally received one of my teaware orders today!! The Xian Piao teapot looks, feels, and smells amazing! Definitely some awesome clay to behold and feel. I can't wait to take it for a spin tomorrow! Also, got the Zisha Kettle today as well, clay is on point. Spring water will forever be changed, for the better, pouring out of this beauty.

Wow zisha kettle, very interesting. What type of tea are you going to dedicate your teapot to?
Kettle game on point, can't wait to give it a test run!

I'll be brewing a darker, traditionally processed Oolong in it tomorrow. I have 9 teapots to dedicate, to different styles of tea I enjoy. From a quick write up, based on other teapots I am certain about, I have this as a darker Oolong go-to. It's the largest clay teapot I have @ 175ml, perfect for giving those traditionally processed Oolong's space to unfurl. I'll have to do further testing to be sure. I have an 80ml, 60's Hongni in limbo, might be great as well. She's a real beauty, but the sizing is just making me hesitant at this point...I tell myself, just use less leaf guy, it will be okay :P :lol:
Bok
Vendor

Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:20 pm

@TeaTotaling 80ml is a prefect size don’t worry! Dark roasted oolong doesn’t unfurl that much actually, same goes for aged oolong. That ones benefitting the most from space are high mountain Oolongs. I use flat shapes all the time for rolled oolong, against popular opinion it works a treat :)

60s Hongni is very good with roasted Oolong by the way. But - It needs a few weeks to get the clay up and running, so don’t give up on first try. My pots had me dissatisfied in the beginning, but are champs by now!
gradiva

Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:58 am

Bok wrote:
I use flat shapes all the time for rolled oolong, against popular opinion it works a treat :)
Curious about what kind and level of flat you use.
gradiva

Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:29 am

@TeaTotaling
Would love to see pics of your new teapots!
TeaTotaling

Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:52 am

Bok wrote:
TeaTotaling 80ml is a prefect size don’t worry! Dark roasted oolong doesn’t unfurl that much actually, same goes for aged oolong. That ones benefitting the most from space are high mountain Oolongs. I use flat shapes all the time for rolled oolong, against popular opinion it works a treat :)

60s Hongni is very good with roasted Oolong by the way. But - It needs a few weeks to get the clay up and running, so don’t give up on first try. My pots had me dissatisfied in the beginning, but are champs by now!
Excellent, thank you for the helpful advice @Bok! I think I am going to adhere to your recommendation. As I sit sipping a 2017 traditionally processed, charcoal roasted, Oolong from Lishan, I can imagine how the 60's Hongni will come into her own, in due time.

Side by side, 175ml modern Zini and 80ml 60's Hongni. Observations right off the bat, Zini is sucking up everything! Clay is awesome, on a plain water test, I couldn't believe the smoothness and sweetness I was getting, incredibly round and lubricating. Transformed the water, in a profound way. The liquor is thick and rich in color, lovely. Taste is sweet, but definitely muted. Needs many, many brews before she starts giving back.

60's Hongni on the plain water test, produced less pronounced sweetness, but was smooth, lighter. The liquor was bright, but not as rich in color. Size and wall thickness between the two most likely coming into play. The liquor was much more fragrant as well. The body was not as thick, but very smooth. Really giving a nice overall character of the tea while maintaining it's higher, fragrant notes.

Per @Bok, I will follow his expertise and lock in the 60's Hongni for Darker Oolong's. Makes sense to me, although I can see this Zini Clay really shining over time with Darker Oolongs. Who knows, the muting could persist, though. I think I will lock in this Zini with Red Tea. I'm not sure how beneficial 60's Hongni would be for Red Tea, I might have to find out! Xing Cun Xiao Zhong Wuyi Lapsang anyone??

Good times!
TeaTotaling

Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:52 am

gradiva wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:29 am
TeaTotaling
Would love to see pics of your new teapots!
I'll see what I can cook up ;)
Bok
Vendor

Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:00 pm

@TeaTotaling depends on the quality of your Hongcha. Real good one has a lot of aroma that you would not want to miss, so hongni, Zhuni, or porcelain is better.

Less good Hongcha with bitterness you might prefer Zini.