Chanting Pines

Tor

Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:41 am

klepto wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:49 am

Is a 50ml teapot a good buy if you will be the only person using it? I've noticed that my gaiwans that are larger than 100ml produce too much tea for me to drink so I only go for around 5 steepings or so until I can't drink anymore :(.
If I have to choose only one teapot for general use, 50ml might be too small. However, it’s very handy when I need a quick gongfu session. Since the whole session usually doesn’t take very long, I find it easy to be fully concentrated on brewing and tasting.

A 50ml Chaozhou had been my only Yancha teapot for years. With fully stuffed teapot and boiling hot water, sipping one small cup after another of concentrated Yancha in rapid succession is a unique tea drinking experience. I’m not sure if I can handle it if the pot is any larger. I just allowed myself less concentrated Yancha in larger teapots recently to see the tea in different angles.
.m.

Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:34 am

klepto wrote:
Is a 50ml teapot a good buy if you will be the only person using it? I've noticed that my gaiwans that are larger than 100ml produce too much tea for me to drink so I only go for around 5 steepings or so until I can't drink anymore :(.
I'm using 60-70ml pots quite often, yet i'd suggest something like 80ml for small pot as more useful. I also have a 40ml pot, while very nice and perfectly usable, i almost never use it. The smaller the pot is, the faster it looses heat.
klepto

Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:44 pm

Thanks for that info, I'm in the market for a yixing teapot since my M&L porcelain 100ml teapot is stuck in China :(
pantry

Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:37 am

klepto wrote:
Many people have already given you their opinions, but I thought I'd add mine as an additional data point.
I found most 100ml pots produce around 70-85ml of tea, depending on the pot shape, and tea type, and how full the water is filled. My 50ml produces only 30-35ml, and compresses the leaves so much they don't get fully extracted.

For example, if my 6g of tea in a 100ml pot brews 12 times of 70ml enjoyable tea (total 12 * 70ml = 840 ml)
Using 3g tea in my 50ml pot may only brew up to 8 times of 35ml enjoyable tea (total 8 * 35 ml = 280 ml < 1/2 * 840 ml).

While I also find that 100ml is too much for my solo session, I have been reaching for that size more often than my 50ml or 85ml (the latter likely due to shape).
klepto wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:44 pm
Thanks for that info, I'm in the market for a yixing teapot since my M&L porcelain 100ml teapot is stuck in China :(
My tea mails have been stuck in the shipping process for over a month now as well :(
klepto

Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:45 pm

I have a 120ml Ju Lun Zhu teapot(bronze grade) coming from CP. Soon I can find a good f1 pot with the help of Bok and Emmett. CP uses aged zini clay but its not exactly said how much its aged :P
DailyTX

Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:44 pm

klepto wrote:
I have a 120ml Ju Lun Zhu teapot(bronze grade) coming from CP. Soon I can find a good f1 pot with the help of Bok and Emmett. CP uses aged zini clay but its not exactly said how much its aged :P
@klepto
Love the shape of that ju lun zhu! To bad F1 doesn’t have that design. I think Bok has a duanni ROC ju lun zhu on tea swap ;) price maybe high comparison to F1 budget, but it’s good pricing for antique
faj

Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:56 pm

klepto wrote:
I have a 120ml Ju Lun Zhu teapot(bronze grade) coming from CP.
I would be curious to know what defines a Ju Lun Zhu. To my really novice eye, this is not a teapot I would have thought to be of that shape. I would have called that loosely "kind of a shuiping with the spout a bit more angled and shorter, and a more spherical body". Looking at pictures now to put words on my impression, I realize I associated the Ju Lun Zhu shape with a spout that connects to the body on the top half. Maybe it is not a defining characteristic, just common?

That is not meant as a criticism of the pot at all, just curiosity.
klepto

Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:14 pm

faj wrote:
klepto wrote:
I would be curious to know what defines a Ju Lun Zhu. To my really novice eye, this is not a teapot I would have thought to be of that shape. I would have called that loosely "kind of a shuiping with the spout a bit more angled and shorter, and a more spherical body". Looking at pictures now to put words on my impression, I realize I associated the Ju Lun Zhu shape with a spout that connects to the body on the top half. Maybe it is not a defining characteristic, just common?

It is a valid point. I've seen many small variations but I do like the classic JLZ shape a bit better. EoT and 2088taiwan didn't have anything worth buying atm.
pantry

Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:19 pm

faj wrote:
klepto wrote:

Beats me. There isn't a strict definition of each name, and I've noticed CP incorrectly named teapot shapes (and even their teas) from time to time :lol: . I think JLZ is defined by its cannon spout and round body. My research (which could be full of errors) suggested that the JLZ shape we're familiar with (e.g., Bok's offering) was a late Qing - ROC period design for exporting to Japan. The shape that @klepto got was an earlier design (Ming to Qing)
pantry

Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:04 pm

More research on the naming: first record of the name was found in late Qing. One source said a similar name (Kong Lun Zhu) first appeared in a Japanese record in the beginning of Meiji era. JLZ teapot is not defined by its shape, rather its functions. The pot has to be thick and small fit in a literati's hand, round shape resembling a goose egg, crude and simple design, wide opening for tea leaves, with a fast pouring spout. This could be because it was suitable for sencha ceremony or fujian style tea. Maybe someone can do a cross-check of these points :lol:
klepto

Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:11 pm

pantry wrote:
More research on the naming: first record of the name was found in late Qing. One source said a similar name (Kong Lun Zhu) first appeared in a Japanese record in the beginning of Meiji era. JLZ teapot is not defined by its shape, rather its functions. The pot has to be thick and small fit in a literati's hand, round shape resembling a goose egg, crude and simple design, wide opening for tea leaves, with a fast pouring spout. This could be because it was suitable for sencha ceremony or fujian style tea. Maybe someone can do a cross-check of these points :lol:
Wow, very interestiing.. and I was only interested in the aesthetics. Fast pouring and good space for tea opening is important also. I've seen people use teapots with small openings while trying to shove down puerh tea in it.
DailyTX

Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:02 pm

pantry wrote:
Here is a video that talks about transformation of JLZ and the features that define it. It is in Mandarin...she also has pictures of antique JLZ
Bok
Vendor

Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:15 pm

The most complete explanation, and possibly the most correct historically, I’ve found on Kenny Leung’s IG. He even goes into depth explaining the various correct and incorrect versions of Chinese characters (with same romanisation, JLZ).

Summarised and simplifed:
Julunzhu in the most classic sense has a round body, straight cannon like spout, raised foot and upper body rim. The last not present in the shape that most people would recognise and like :)

Ming is probably a bit too early for JLZ ;) the confusion might come due to how Early Republican is spelled in Chinese: Ming Guo. Which is not the same as Ming Chao(Ming dynasty).

Those designs are late Qing the earliest I’d say.
pantry

Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:28 pm

Bok wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:15 pm

Ming is probably a bit too early for JLZ ;) the confusion might come due to how Early Republican is spelled in Chinese: Ming Guo. Which is not the same as Ming Chao(Ming dynasty).
Yeah, I started noticing that after looking at more photos as well. Though also saw auctions for antique JLZ claiming to be from mid Qing
pantry

Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:57 pm

DailyTX wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:02 pm

Here is a video that talks about transformation of JLZ and the features that define it. It is in Mandarin...she also has pictures of antique JLZ
Thanks for sharing! I have her on weixin, but didn't know she has all these videos!