Chanting Pines

Youzi

Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:48 am

pantry wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:57 pm
DailyTX wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:02 pm

Here is a video that talks about transformation of JLZ and the features that define it. It is in Mandarin...she also has pictures of antique JLZ
Thanks for sharing! I have her on weixin, but didn't know she has all these videos!
Have you got pots from them?
pantry

Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:30 am

Youzi wrote:
pantry wrote:
DailyTX wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:02 pm

Here is a video that talks about transformation of JLZ and the features that define it. It is in Mandarin...she also has pictures of antique JLZ
Thanks for sharing! I have her on weixin, but didn't know she has all these videos!
Not yet, just lurking. Most of her pots seem to be around 200ml. Do you have any modern yixing studios you’d recommend?
Youzi

Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:25 am

pantry wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:30 am
Youzi wrote:
pantry wrote:

Not yet, just lurking. Most of her pots seem to be around 200ml. Do you have any modern yixing studios you’d recommend?
What size are you looking for?
pantry

Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:31 am

@Youzi sub-150cc
TeaTotaling

Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:01 pm

Tea Adventures wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:18 am
I have recently bought a silver grade teapot and payed quite a lot. However, I think it’s worth the money. This pot has improved some teas that were great already. Even though it costs quite a bit, I’m thinking of buying another one soon. Even if I had the opportunity to give it back and get back my money, I wouldn’t do it.

I only bought a pot and cups from them, so I don’t have any experience with their teas. I do know the aged teas are far out of my budget. The modern pots might be a bit overpriced, but if you don’t really know where to buy decent quality elsewhere and If you have the money, it’s not a bad purchase.
I have recently purchased 4 pots from Chanting Pines, along with some tea. Still awaiting on arrival, we'll see how it goes. I will update after testing, and provide my insight. I didn't have a good understanding of reliable sources offering antique pots, until joining this forum, which has shed a little light on its mystique. So, I agree, Chanting Pines seemed like a safe choice. From the photos, I really like the aesthetic of these modern pots.

I am familiar with Sam Gibb, former Global Tea Hut apprentice, and founder of Cloud Hidden Tea. He operates the Chanting Pines front, and is a credible source, in my opinion.

I did come across a JLZ that @Bok had posted, and it's a beauty. I'm sure in the future, I will be purchasing one of these delightful offerings.

-George
pantry

Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:51 pm

TeaTotaling wrote:

I have recently purchased 4 pots from Chanting Pines, along with some tea. Still awaiting on arrival, we'll see how it goes. I will update after testing, and provide my insight. I didn't have a good understanding of reliable sources offering antique pots, until joining this forum, which has shed a little light on its mystique. So, I agree, Chanting Pines seemed like a safe choice. From the photos, I really like the aesthetic of these modern pots.

I am familiar with Sam Gibb, former Global Tea Hut apprentice, and founder of Cloud Hidden Tea. He operates the Chanting Pines front, and is a credible source, in my opinion.

I did come across a JLZ that @Bok had posted, and it's a beauty. I'm sure in the future, I will be purchasing one of these delightful offerings.

-George
Please let us know how it goes! What pots did you purchase? I have been happy with the modern pots that CP offers. Aside from the clay, the craftsmanship is also very good.
klepto

Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:01 pm

Sam told me that shipping will resume from Malaysia on Apr 28, so we should have them fairly soon. *Knocking on wood* I had a good convo with him prior to purchasing and he was very helpful.
TeaTotaling

Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:19 pm

pantry wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:51 pm
TeaTotaling wrote:

-George
Please let us know how it goes! What pots did you purchase? I have been happy with the modern pots that CP offers. Aside from the clay, the craftsmanship is also very good.
I purchased the 175ml Silver Grade Xian Piao, the 120ml Zhao Zhuang Hong Ni, the 105ml Diamond Grade Duo Qiu, and the 50ml Diamond Grade Pan Hu. I have done a good amount of research on modern pots accessible here in the US, and decided CP stood out from the rest. My first Yixing was from Mei Leaf, the Junde Lao Zini Pot made by Master Potter Ying Chunfang. I am satisfied, but we'll see how it compares to Chen Ju Fang's work, and Wuxing Shan Fang's clay.
TeaTotaling

Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:22 pm

klepto wrote:
Sam told me that shipping will resume from Malaysia on Apr 28, so we should have them fairly soon. *Knocking on wood* I had a good convo with him prior to purchasing and he was very helpful.
Good to know! *Knock, Knock* I thought there might have been a hold up, considering I placed my order on 4/21. Sam is always very helpful, although he is only one man, stretched between many inquiries.

Also, I did purchase the 900ml Zisha Kettle as well.
klepto

Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:14 pm

TeaTotaling wrote:
klepto wrote:
Good to know! *Knock, Knock* I thought there might have been a hold up, considering I placed my order on 4/21. Sam is always very helpful, although he is only one man, stretched between many inquiries.

I got the 120ml Ju Lun Zhu yixing pot that was bronze grade, although I was looking at a silver grade but it was sold out before I could grab it.
pantry

Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:25 pm

TeaTotaling wrote:

I purchased the 175ml Silver Grade Xian Piao, the 120ml Zhao Zhuang Hong Ni, the 105ml Diamond Grade Duo Qiu, and the 50ml Diamond Grade Pan Hu. I have done a good amount of research on modern pots accessible here in the US, and decided CP stood out from the rest. My first Yixing was from Mei Leaf, the Junde Lao Zini Pot made by Master Potter Ying Chunfang. I am satisfied, but we'll see how it compares to Chen Ju Fang's work, and Wuxing Shan Fang's clay.
That’s quite a selection! I’ve been eyeing the pan hu myself, but figured I shouldn’t get another pot smaller than 80ml. The Duo Qiu should be excellent. Congrats!
TeaTotaling

Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:55 am

klepto wrote:
TeaTotaling wrote:
klepto wrote:

I got the 120ml Ju Lun Zhu yixing pot that was bronze grade, although I was looking at a silver grade but it was sold out before I could grab it.
Nice choice! I really like the style of these Ju Lun Zhus. Any idea what type of tea you will devote to it?
TeaTotaling

Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:11 am

pantry wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:25 pm
TeaTotaling wrote:

That’s quite a selection! I’ve been eyeing the pan hu myself, but figured I shouldn’t get another pot smaller than 80ml. The Duo Qiu should be excellent. Congrats!
Thank you! At first I was hesitant to go for the 50ml., but I figured it would be good to have one in the bunch, good for small sessions. I'm just not sure which tea I will use it for. What is your smallest pot, what tea do you use it for, and what are your thoughts on functionality?

I'm really excited about the Duo Qiu. I'm thinking that will be my Wuyi Pot. I saw another person who posted pictures of their's earlier in the thread, and the clay looks amazing! Better than on the website, better than I expected.

I'm looking to devote the Hongni to lighter Oolong's, and the Xian Piao to darker Oolong's. That just leaves the 50ml. Pan Hu. Not sure if a combination of Shou, Liu Bao, and Black/Red Tea would work?? Those are three styles I don't go for frequently, at least currently.
pantry

Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:40 am

TeaTotaling wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:11 am

Thank you! At first I was hesitant to go for the 50ml., but I figured it would be good to have one in the bunch, good for small sessions. I'm just not sure which tea I will use it for. What is your smallest pot, what tea do you use it for, and what are your thoughts on functionality?

I'm really excited about the Duo Qiu. I'm thinking that will be my Wuyi Pot. I saw another person who posted pictures of their's earlier in the thread, and the clay looks amazing! Better than on the website, better than I expected.

I'm looking to devote the Hongni to lighter Oolong's, and the Xian Piao to darker Oolong's. That just leaves the 50ml. Pan Hu. Not sure if a combination of Shou, Liu Bao, and Black/Red Tea would work?? Those are three styles I don't go for frequently, at least currently.
I also have a 45ml, but the spout is smaller than your Pan Hu, making it impossible for flash infusions. I've tried using it for aged puerh and Yancha. It's not bad at all, but don't expect it to be the same as reduced volume of a bigger pot. Use it with tea that doesn't expand as much with brewing. If I had your pan hu, I'd probably try it with Yancha or Oolong first.

Doesn't look like you get a bronze grade pot, but that would be my pick for ripe/liu bao since it mutes the most. To be honest, I don't have a pot for those teas as I also don't drink often, but I'd imagine it needs a bigger pot.

Btw, whatever you do, please don't cook your pot in tea ...these pots develop natural patina quite quickly, and the result would be better than artificial cooking. ;) In fact, you probably wouldn't need to boil these pots in water at all. Just rinse it multiple time with hot water, and maybe fill it with some and let sit for 30 min or so.
klepto

Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:31 pm

TeaTotaling wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:55 am
klepto wrote:
TeaTotaling wrote:

Nice choice! I really like the style of these Ju Lun Zhus. Any idea what type of tea you will devote to it?
I'll be using it for oolongs, that is all I have in my war chest :D. When I get another I'll be delving into the world of raw puerh but so far it tastes like sour wet leaves. I'm not sure what the fuss is all about but I'm game to try.