High-Quality Tea Subscriptions?

pantry

Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:42 am

TeaTotaling wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:19 am
pantry, or anyone else try this months EOT Club offering?
I haven’t received any packages from them since March 🙁 (stuck in shipping)
klepto

Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:47 am

I got mine last night, hadn't heard of this one before.
2020 Duo Yi Zhai. I'll be trying it pretty soon.
klepto

Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:53 pm

@pantry It tastes like a high mountain taiwan oolong. I wasn't sure what type of tea it was beforehand so I used 5 grams of it in my trusty 100ml(acutally 80ml) gaiwan. The liquor is like a pale ale and tastes like a high mountain oolong. The leaves were beautiful and opened up quickly. I started brewing at 5 second and adding 5 seconds each steeping. I got some heavy astringency even though I brewed it at 195F.
20200613_123459.jpg
20200613_123459.jpg (228.16 KiB) Viewed 4781 times
TeaTotaling

Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:17 pm

pantry wrote:
TeaTotaling wrote:
What?? That’s crazy! I thought at least by now shipping would have picked up slightly, and you would have received at least April’s offering. I hope you get them soon. I was trying to be discreet but @klepto blew the top off, haha 😆 Not sure if you mind or not. I know David prefers if people don’t post about it too early on Insta.
TeaTotaling

Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:28 pm

klepto wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:53 pm
pantry It tastes like a high mountain taiwan oolong. I wasn't sure what type of tea it was beforehand so I used 5 grams of it in my trusty 100ml(acutally 80ml) gaiwan. The liquor is like a pale ale and tastes like a high mountain oolong. The leaves were beautiful and opened up quickly. I started brewing at 5 second and adding 5 seconds each steeping. I got some heavy astringency even though I brewed it at 195F.

It’s actually an Old Tree Nannuo Sheng Puerh. Maocha can taste very floral. I don’t have much experience with Maocha this fresh. It’s has a nice creaminess too it, and a pleasant uplifting characteristic. I’m just not sure it has the depth and strength I like. Flavor is a tad one dimensional on the first pass, although I need to revisit and reassess. Maybe there is a seasoned Sheng lover, who also subscribes. I would like an old heads opinion 🤞🏻
TeaTotaling

Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:32 pm

I thought Essence of Tea was a member of the forum, was I dreaming??
klepto

TeaTotaling wrote:

It’s actually an Old Tree Nannuo Sheng Puerh. Maocha can taste very floral. I don’t have much experience with Maocha this fresh. It’s has a nice creaminess too it, and a pleasant uplifting characteristic. I’m just not sure it has the depth and strength I like. Flavor is a tad one dimensional on the first pass, although I need to revisit and reassess. Maybe there is a seasoned Sheng lover, who also subscribes. I would like an old heads opinion 🤞🏻
The flavor was one dimensional for me as well did you get any bitterness? Btw what is a maocha?
TeaTotaling

Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:52 pm

klepto wrote:
TeaTotaling wrote:

The flavor was one dimensional for me as well did you get any bitterness? Btw what is a maocha?
From my understanding it would seem it’s not totally “finished” in this case. Green and un-roasted. Not much bitterness at all, and I pushed the first steep a couple minutes. Although I did use my Zisha. Even still, I tried it in my Ruyao Gaiwan, alongside, and still fairly smooth.

Do you know if Essence of Tea is a member? I tried searching, maybe not good enough though. I swear I saw them online before.
TeaTotaling

Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:43 pm

Answered my own question, did some more thorough digging. I forgot to include “The” in @TheEssenceofTea! Hi David and Yingxi 👋🏻👋🏻

I’ll have to test this months sample further! I sampled a pressed 2019 Nannuo Sheng that I enjoy, and the 2020 maocha from EOT seems to be underestimated at first pass. What I know for sure at this moment, is this tea tastes so pure!

I am looking forward to the repeated, profound, enjoyment I had anticipating the arrival, and reading the included letter while sampling...sublime experience 💚
pantry

Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:59 pm

TeaTotaling wrote:

What?? That’s crazy! I thought at least by now shipping would have picked up slightly, and you would have received at least April’s offering. I hope you get them soon. I was trying to be discreet but klepto blew the top off, haha 😆 Not sure if you mind or not. I know David prefers if people don’t post about it too early on Insta.
I don’t mind knowing, as I can guess it’d be a maocha this time of year :lol:
Though I don’t know how much tea EoT sent out, I’d suggest you slowly pace out your consumption. The transformation during the first 6-12 months is quite significant in my experience!

I’ve given up on fresh sheng pu this year :-(
I don’t think I’d receive any of them until mid to late summer. Generally i don’t mind, because I find it difficult to drink puerh that fresh. I certainly miss the learning opportunities!
TeaTotaling

Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:18 pm

pantry wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:59 pm
TeaTotaling wrote:

What?? That’s crazy! I thought at least by now shipping would have picked up slightly, and you would have received at least April’s offering. I hope you get them soon. I was trying to be discreet but klepto blew the top off, haha 😆 Not sure if you mind or not. I know David prefers if people don’t post about it too early on Insta.
I don’t mind knowing, as I can guess it’d be a maocha this time of year :lol:
Though I don’t know how much tea EoT sent out, I’d suggest you slowly pace out your consumption. The transformation during the first 6-12 months is quite significant in my experience!

I’ve given up on fresh sheng pu this year :-(
I don’t think I’d receive any of them until mid to late summer. Generally i don’t mind, because I find it difficult to drink puerh that fresh. I certainly miss the learning opportunities!
You sound like a long time member of the Tea Club...that’s encouraging! Shipping is wack, this whole thing is silly. I’m sitting on a solid stash of tea. I think I’ll be good to ride this out a few years perchance the funny business continues.

To the contrary, I personally like punchy Puerh. Perfect for a nicely muting Pines Zisha, haha 🌲 Thank you for recommending spacing it out! I was thinking the same thing. I have read time can really transform maocha. It’s a nice pouch full, I haven’t weighed it, but it will certainly last many sessions.
Janice

Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:27 pm

pantry wrote:
TeaTotaling wrote:
I received the March and June packages this week. April is in Shanghai. That’s the airport the chartered flights are departing from. Have you checked the progress of your packages on 17track.net?
TeaTotaling

Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:45 pm

Janice wrote:
pantry wrote:
TeaTotaling wrote:
I received the March and June packages this week. April is in Shanghai. That’s the airport the chartered flights are departing from. Have you checked the progress of your packages on 17track.net?
We have signs of life, thankfully! @pantry there is hope.

@Janice What did you receive for March? Also, have you tried June’s Nannuo yet?
Janice

Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:16 pm

TeaTotaling wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:45 pm
Janice wrote:
pantry wrote:

We have signs of life, thankfully! pantry there is hope.

Janice What did you receive for March? Also, have you tried June’s Nannuo yet?
EOT had posted on Facebook several weeks ago that China Post was chartering 3 flights a week to move packages. That’s why it’s helpful to know if your package is at the departure airport in Shanghai.

March was already discussed a bit on Facebook so I’m not revealing a secret when I say it’s 2019 TGY from autumn and spring. That just arrived Thursday and I have no experience with TGY so I need to do a bit of research first before I try it.

I’m not doing well with the June tea. If I get a good first steep the subsequent steeps are way too bitter for me. I’m going to set it aside for a while.

I asked EOT to hold my May package until there was movement and I haven’t seen any posts about it.
pantry

Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:33 pm

@Janice
All my packages arrived Shanghai last month, and made no further movements since. It’s a good sign that you received yours though! Hope some of mine will arrive this month!