High-Quality Tea Subscriptions?

faj

Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:17 am

Brent D wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:59 am
Global tea hut. The magazine alone is worth the subscription.
Thanks for the information. I assume you are a subscriber. Can you tell me a bit more about the tea that comes with the subscription? What types? How much? Usual quality/enjoyment level?
Brent D

Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:34 pm

They are located in Taiwan and put a great emphasis on quality and sustainability. They shy away from the Gaoshans due to the farming practices. They get many different teas, and many I would never purchase on my own. They do seem to get a bit over spiritual on some things, but the tea is always sup top notch.
Check out more info here.

http://www.globalteahut.org/magazine.html
faj

Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:44 pm

Brent D wrote:
They get many different teas, and many I would never purchase on my own.
How much tea usually comes with the subscription, typically? Is it a single tea per month, or many smaller samples?
Brent D wrote:
They do seem to get a bit over spiritual on some things, but the tea is always sup top notch.
As long as the world view is not an impediment to the quality of the product and there is no ulterior motive to the subscription, I can live with that.
Brent D

Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:07 pm

one tea per month. about 10-15 grams. The magazine goes into great depth on that months tea. It will show the farm and the growing practices, as well as an interview with the farmer. It also goes through suggested brewing parameters.
faj

Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:22 pm

Brent D wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:07 pm
one tea per month. about 10-15 grams. The magazine goes into great depth on that months tea. It will show the farm and the growing practices, as well as an interview with the farmer. It also goes through suggested brewing parameters.
That is at the other end of the spectrum (small amount of a single tea), so you either have to give a relatively high value to that single tea, and/or to the magazine.
Bok
Vendor

Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:08 am

It seems to me that subscriptions are often a good tool for the merchants to either - get more for the tea, or to get rid of teas that don’t sell. But I might be wrong.

In any case a good strategy to broaden the horizon, but nothing I would contemplate for a longer period. Sample boxes are probably a faster and efficient way.
faj

Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:01 am

Bok wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:08 am
It seems to me that subscriptions are often a good tool for the merchants to either - get more for the tea, or to get rid of teas that don’t sell. But I might be wrong.
Curation might be something I am willing to pay a bit of extra for. A (quality) subscription is also something interesting as a gift (to be given or received), and it is in this context I am asking actually.

Shipping poor-quality inventory to subscribers sure is tempting for a merchant, although it could, on the long term, threaten your regular sales and generate negative word-of-mouth. Overall probably not a sound business strategy, but tempting nonetheless.

That is why I am asking if some people have good experiences with subscriptions, in case there are some hidden gems that are worth it.
quirra
New user

Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:17 am

Hello! I'm also considering to try a tea subscription club and can't choose between EOT and White2Tea... I'm pretty newbie especially in terms of puerh (used to be oolong person) so would like to try different teas during further months and get some knowledge. Would be very grateful if people who tried these clubs could share details and their opinions on these two :)
Pants404

Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:25 pm

I have subscribed to white2tea. They offer a range of different teas each month, from a shou cake to a selection of new release yancha.
I don't feel they are sending out unwanted or old stock because it's always something they are just releasing or something just for the subscription.
I haven't been in it long, and am yet to find a reason to stop
pantry

Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:30 pm

I subscribe to EoT. The teas are great and interesting. Just a good way to try teas that I might not have paid attentions to otherwise. I'd say GTH is more about the magazine than the tea. I've tried W2T, and it's great. I just couldn't afford too many subscriptions at a time :lol:
Nis

Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:35 am

The W2T subscription is definitely not just a way for Paul to get rid of unwanted stock. In fact, some months have apparently been anything but trivial to do.
It's a good mix of different types of tea, with a focus on pu-er. Oolong Owl has reviews of most of them here: http://oolongowl.com/category/tea-reviews/white-2-tea/
TeaTotaling

Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:12 pm

pantry wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:30 pm
I subscribe to EoT. The teas are great and interesting. Just a good way to try teas that I might not have paid attentions to otherwise. I'd say GTH is more about the magazine than the tea. I've tried W2T, and it's great. I just couldn't afford too many subscriptions at a time :lol:
How long have you been a subscriber? I have been browsing their selection, seems pretty solid. I'm considering a subscription as well.
pantry

Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:41 pm

@TeaTotaling About a year now. Their teas are solid. You also get to venture out of the usual suspects and try different teas (I tend to gravitate towards Yiwu :lol: )
TeaTotaling

Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:23 pm

pantry wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:41 pm
TeaTotaling About a year now. Their teas are solid. You also get to venture out of the usual suspects and try different teas (I tend to gravitate towards Yiwu :lol: )
Thank you!
TeaTotaling

Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:19 am

@pantry, or anyone else try this months EOT Club offering?