Hojo Tea

Victoria
Admin

Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:25 pm

klepto wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:34 am
TBH, I've had many months go by and never got any email back from Hojo even after sending another email later so I go through Chrystal. She's friendly, prompt and is very knowledgeable. That DHL cost is high but when I got no response from Japan I started going through her. I got a pot from her via DHL in 4 days, and Malaysia was shutting down because of Covid.
Yeah, depending on Akira’s sourcing trips (which you can follow on FB) he may be slow to respond. If you’re looking for puerh and other heicha and teaware that pairs with that, then the Malasia shop caters to that well. The prices are higher though than on the Japanese website, because you’ll be paying for brick and mortar shop costs, plus Malaysia added costs. Btw, I have nothing against the Malasia shop or their using WhatsApp (kind of nice), just pointing out the differences, especially since @Ackernym may be looking for Japanese teas and teaware.
klepto

Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:47 pm

Victoria wrote:
klepto wrote:
TBH, I've had many months go by and never got any email back from Hojo even after sending another email later so I go through Chrystal. She's friendly, prompt and is very knowledgeable. That DHL cost is high but when I got no response from Japan I started going through her. I got a pot from her via DHL in 4 days, and Malaysia was shutting down because of Covid.
Yeah, depending on Akira’s sourcing trips (which you can follow on FB) he may be slow to respond. If you’re looking for puerh and other heicha and teaware that pairs with that, then the Malasia shop caters to that well. The prices are higher though than on the Japanese website, because you’ll be paying for brick and mortar shop costs, plus Malaysia added costs. Btw, I have nothing against the Malasia shop or their using WhatsApp (kind of nice), just pointing out the differences, especially since Ackernym may be looking for Japanese teas and teaware.
For sure, some things I can't get in Malaysia that they have in Japan. If I could benefit from both places I would :D. An integrated messaging app on their website would help, because email has its own issues as your email can end up in a spam folder. If you are patient for sure go with Japan, the shipping is cheaper and so is the teaware. I'm curious if the sales coming from US/Canada/Europe would be worth having some representation.
LeoFox

Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:01 pm

klepto wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:47 pm
Victoria wrote:
klepto wrote:
Yeah, depending on Akira’s sourcing trips (which you can follow on FB) he may be slow to respond. If you’re looking for puerh and other heicha and teaware that pairs with that, then the Malasia shop caters to that well. The prices are higher though than on the Japanese website, because you’ll be paying for brick and mortar shop costs, plus Malaysia added costs. Btw, I have nothing against the Malasia shop or their using WhatsApp (kind of nice), just pointing out the differences, especially since Ackernym may be looking for Japanese teas and teaware.
For sure, some things I can't get in Malaysia that they have in Japan. If I could benefit from both places I would :D. An integrated messaging app on their website would help, because email has its own issues as your email can end up in a spam folder. If you are patient for sure go with Japan, the shipping is cheaper and so is the teaware. I'm curious if the sales coming from US/Canada/Europe would be worth having some representation.
Something tells me no. The local asian customers ask few questions, dont quibble, and buy in much larger volumes than most here are comfortable.
Ackernym

Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:00 pm

Victoria wrote:
klepto wrote:
Ah that's good to know that the Mayalsian storefront caters more to Puerhs. I have only briefly looked at their selection, but I figured they had mostly similar stuff to the Japanese site. I actually ordered a Tozo oxidation akitsu Mumyoi teapot and some oolong and puerh to test it out. Akira mentioned that the clay should work well with either of the teas, but how do you all feel about that clay? Also, as archaic as the Japanese site is, I do have to admit there is an odd charm to sending out an email to order tea and getting a response back whenever. It feels almost personal in a way :)
Janice

Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:08 pm

I’m surprised that the online Japanese store does so little business that it doesn’t support an assistant to Hojo to process orders.

I had a strong “craving” for a mumyoi pot after reading posts here but not strong enough to try the alternate methods that helpful members shared with me. Maybe when there’s a new shipment of mumyoi and I can buy just the right pot I’ll try again.
GaoShan

Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:12 pm

I'm considering getting a Mumyoi pot for Taiwanese high mountain oolongs since real Zhuni is out of my price range. Is this a good idea? Ideally, I'd like to keep the aromatics while minimizing grassy and other "off" flavours. I'd like to spend about US$150, but would be willing to go up to US$200 for a good pot.

Also, if I end up ordering from Hojo, I'll probably include some teas, but the last version of the catalogue I can find is from 2019. Is there a later version somewhere?
klepto

Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:28 pm

GaoShan wrote:
I'm considering getting a Mumyoi pot for Taiwanese high mountain oolongs since real Zhuni is out of my price range. Is this a good idea? Ideally, I'd like to keep the aromatics while minimizing grassy and other "off" flavours. I'd like to spend about US$150, but would be willing to go up to US$200 for a good pot.

Also, if I end up ordering from Hojo, I'll probably include some teas, but the last version of the catalogue I can find is from 2019. Is there a later version somewhere?
For high mountain oolong or lightly oxidized oolong in general I'd go with kobiwako.
Victoria
Admin

Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:31 pm

GaoShan wrote:

For high mountain oolong I like using hongni, Yamada family shudei, and nosaka clay by Shimizu Ken. You can still get a Yamada Sou shudei for $200 at Artistic Nippon, and under $200 on eBay and a few other shops. I can’t comment on Mumyoi clay as I don’t have that.

For Hojo teas click on link on upper part of teaware page https://hojotea.com/item_e/available.htm Oh, I see the list hasn’t been updated in over a year. Strange 🍃.
GaoShan

Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:07 pm

klepto wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:28 pm
GaoShan wrote:

For high mountain oolong or lightly oxidized oolong in general I'd go with kobiwako.
Thanks for the recommendation! I've heard this clay is good, but that it tends to mute aromas. At this point I don't know what to think!
GaoShan

Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:11 pm

Victoria wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:31 pm
GaoShan wrote:

For high mountain oolong I like using hongni, Yamada family shudei, and nosaka clay by Shimizu Ken. You can still get a Yamada Sou shudei for $200 at Artistic Nippon, and under $200 on eBay and a few other shops. I can’t comment on Mumyoi clay as I don’t have that.

For Hojo teas click on link on upper part of teaware page https://hojotea.com/item_e/available.htm Oh, I see the list hasn’t been updated in over a year. Strange 🍃.
I'll take a look at that list of vendors. Out of curiosity, are these all side-handled pots?

I was previously looking at this Hongni pot from Essence of Tea:
https://essenceoftea.com/collections/yi ... ing-teapot
Nova02

Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:52 pm

I've been interested in purchasing one of Hojo Tea's banko clay kyusu pots for some time now, and attempted to contact them through email in late June. I have received no response, even after sending a second email and trying to contact the company on Facebook as well. On Facebook through the messenger system I have been able to see that they read my message that I sent them, but they have not reached out to me. I would like to support this company because of all of the positive reviews I have read online, but I may be forced to look elsewhere, especially since the same teapots from the same craftsman are being sold on other websites. Does anybody have any idea why I haven't been able to contact Hojo for almost a month now?
Pants404

Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:49 pm

I went through this twice several months apart last year and never received a response. I was under the impression that hojo was incredibly well regarded, but I had heard that sometimes he may not respond for a while. After my second attempt at contact I have given up trying to purchase teaware from him.

I honestly hope that I am the exception here because many users of this forum have pots that they had purchased from hojo and I havent heard anything negative about him or anything he sells. I will just remain envious when I see images of these pots being used.
LeoFox

Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:35 am

If you like his banko stuff, artistic Nippon sells pieces by the same artist

https://www.artisticnippon.com/product/ ... index.html
Janice

Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:30 am

There’s some discussion about this issue on the last page of the following thread

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1212&hilit=Hojo&start=75

I was trying to order a mumyoi pot but I didn’t want it enough to take heroic measures. Toru at Artistic Nippon also does business w/o an automated shopping basket but with major differences. He posts on his website If he’s going to be away, he generates an automated message confirming that a message has been received, and then he responds quickly.
LeoFox

Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:26 pm

You might also consider this deal here for the banko.

viewtopic.php?p=28795#p28795