Mei leaf

LeoFox

Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:19 pm

Worth a watch
LeoFox

Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:55 pm

Another bizarre offering

"a Mi Lan Dan Cong Oolong Heicha barrel fermented in Kombucha and roasted to finish"

https://meileaf.com/p/tea-attc
Iroh

Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:34 am

Mei Leaf was the first vendor I found, simply because I randomly passed their Camden tea house. There I was treated to a rather good Shu PuErh they called "Jungle Starlet". It was my first taste of actual Chinese tea, and definitely my first PuErh. The smell made me a bit sceptical at first, but I decided to be brave and drink, and the taste was plain delicious and better than my usual fare of warm brew. That it was all served by a friendly and not the least communicative girl with the suitable name of Angel contributed to the experience. And that started my tea journey.

After that, I have ordered "a few" teas from different vendors, and compared (my main "tea drug dealer" ended up being YunnanCraft). Some of the Mei Leaf teas hold their own, though maybe a bit pricey compared to similar teas from China, whereas others disappoint and lack just about every taste note from Don. An interesting case is "Dream Scene Smuggler", which I had looked very much forward to, and which was a gift from a girl I had tutored. But it simply tasted like ash! :cry: But I did by accident store it a bit more humidly for a few weeks, and when I tried it again, I found a rather agreeable tea. Still not as good as I had hoped for, but at least decent and worth drinking.

Given the price/quality, I don't see myself buying more online from them, but I'll be more than happy to drop by their Camden shop when I'm in London Town, and sit down and treat myself to some tea in a London teahouse. And I would recommend the experience.

As for Don's videos, they are entertaining, and a bit funny when he's dancing like a cat over a cucumber with his hands while describing taste notes. And he has some original content that I really enjoy. Like this one on tea & whisky.
LeoFox

Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:37 pm

Iroh wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:34 am
Mei Leaf was the first vendor I found, simply because I randomly passed their Camden tea house. There I was treated to a rather good Shu PuErh they called "Jungle Starlet". It was my first taste of actual Chinese tea, and definitely my first PuErh. The smell made me a bit sceptical at first, but I decided to be brave and drink, and the taste was plain delicious and better than my usual fare of warm brew. That it was all served by a friendly and not the least communicative girl with the suitable name of Angel contributed to the experience. And that started my tea journey.

After that, I have ordered "a few" teas from different vendors, and compared (my main "tea drug dealer" ended up being YunnanCraft). Some of the Mei Leaf teas hold their own, though maybe a bit pricey compared to similar teas from China, whereas others disappoint and lack just about every taste note from Don. An interesting case is "Dream Scene Smuggler", which I had looked very much forward to, and which was a gift from a girl I had tutored. But it simply tasted like ash! :cry: But I did by accident store it a bit more humidly for a few weeks, and when I tried it again, I found a rather agreeable tea. Still not as good as I had hoped for, but at least decent and worth drinking.

Given the price/quality, I don't see myself buying more online from them, but I'll be more than happy to drop by their Camden shop when I'm in London Town, and sit down and treat myself to some tea in a London teahouse. And I would recommend the experience.

As for Don's videos, they are entertaining, and a bit funny when he's dancing like a cat over a cucumber with his hands while describing taste notes. And he has some original content that I really enjoy. Like this one on tea & whisky.
His little girl is really cute in the videos and reminds me of my own daughter of similar age. I was tempted to get a cake of his white tea because it has a nice drawing of her- but then decided I can just easily print it out
SmartSelect_20230201_133656_Samsung Internet.jpg
SmartSelect_20230201_133656_Samsung Internet.jpg (343.67 KiB) Viewed 1137 times