Hojo Tea

LucaJones
New user
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:32 am
Location: Hungary
Contact:

Wed Jun 21, 2023 1:52 am

Teafortea wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:37 am
ha, i thought I was the only one. I save Hojo's teas because I cannot not have them hehe. I have yet to find one tea from him that I have not liked.
Hojo teas are like my secret stash of happiness. I also guard them like a dragon guards its treasure or maybe i am just a tea hoarding maniac with refined taste buds. 😄
User avatar
OCTO
Posts: 1125
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:25 pm
Location: Penang, Malaysia

Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:59 am

Greetings from HOJO!! Always feels good gulping down some cuppas with like minded tea friends!!

Cheers!!
Attachments
65C38980-B3E2-4405-9198-6C67062ADB83.JPG
65C38980-B3E2-4405-9198-6C67062ADB83.JPG (184.29 KiB) Viewed 1954 times
Ethan Kurland
Vendor
Posts: 1034
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:01 am
Location: Boston
Contact:

Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:12 pm

OCTO wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:59 am
Greetings from HOJO!! Always feels good gulping down some cuppas with like minded tea friends!!
Cheers!!
That's a big kettle!
Coming to Penang in early June. Are you in Geogetown? We are thinking of staying by the Heritage section.
Hope to drink some tea w/ you etc.
Before that I'd like to ask you some ?s, some about tea maybe but also some touristy ones (mostly about food & lodging because my blind girlfriend won't enjoy sight-seeing).
Best contact is appreciated. We'll phone from Thailand before if that is okay. Sorry, this probably should have been a PM. Please PM me. Thanks
Cheers
User avatar
OCTO
Posts: 1125
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:25 pm
Location: Penang, Malaysia

Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:09 pm

Ethan Kurland wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:12 pm
OCTO wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:59 am
Greetings from HOJO!! Always feels good gulping down some cuppas with like minded tea friends!!
Cheers!!
That's a big kettle!
Coming to Penang in early June. Are you in Geogetown? We are thinking of staying by the Heritage section.
Hope to drink some tea w/ you etc.
Before that I'd like to ask you some ?s, some about tea maybe but also some touristy ones (mostly about food & lodging because my blind girlfriend won't enjoy sight-seeing).
Best contact is appreciated. We'll phone from Thailand before if that is okay. Sorry, this probably should have been a PM. Please PM me. Thanks
Cheers
You got PM! 😁
User avatar
LeoFox
Posts: 1794
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:01 pm
Location: Washington DC

Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:44 am

https://gargantuantea.com/shop
HOJO tea is now available! Gargantuan TEA is the exclusive importer and retailer of HOJO tea within the United States. Please enjoy HOJO tea shipped domestically from our inventory in WA state.

Free Shipping on All Orders Over $50
This is legit?
User avatar
Victoria
Admin
Posts: 3053
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:33 pm
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Contact:

Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:05 pm

LeoFox wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:44 am
https://gargantuantea.com/shop
HOJO tea is now available! Gargantuan TEA is the exclusive importer and retailer of HOJO tea within the United States. Please enjoy HOJO tea shipped domestically from our inventory in WA state.

Free Shipping on All Orders Over $50
This is legit?
Thanks for sharing this, looks to be a kind of collaboration between an American couple and Hojo. Interesting.
GaoShan
Posts: 347
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:06 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:24 pm

LeoFox wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:44 am
https://gargantuantea.com/shop
HOJO tea is now available! Gargantuan TEA is the exclusive importer and retailer of HOJO tea within the United States. Please enjoy HOJO tea shipped domestically from our inventory in WA state.

Free Shipping on All Orders Over $50
This is legit?
This is interesting! They seem to have a decent selection, though they don't carry everything. I'm not sure which would be cheaper, ordering directly from Hojo or paying to have some teas shipped to Canada. Their website doesn't say how much cross-border shipping is, though I assume it would be around $20 if they don't insist on DHL/FedEx. The last time I checked in 2022, shipping from Japan was over $40.

In 2022, 30 g of Lishan from Hojo was 2,580 yen for 30 g (US$17.47). This shop is selling 28 g for $25.33. (I think this is in USD, though my web browser may have sneakily converted it into CAD.) It would make sense for Americans to order from this shop if they're buying just a few teas. Canadians will still have to pay either way.
Sunyata
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:47 am
Location: Singapore

Wed May 22, 2024 2:42 am

Very limited selection on the Canadian website. Prices are also noticeably higher compared to the Malaysian website where I usually order my teas from since I live across the border in Singapore.

This is the best dancong vendor outside of China that one can find. I highly recommend trying their dancong.
GaoShan
Posts: 347
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:06 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Wed May 22, 2024 9:46 am

Sunyata wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 2:42 am
Very limited selection on the Canadian website. Prices are also noticeably higher compared to the Malaysian website where I usually order my teas from since I live across the border in Singapore.

This is the best dancong vendor outside of China that one can find. I highly recommend trying their dancong.
I was also disappointed by the lack of dancong on the Gargantuan Tea site. (BTW, I think it's an American, not a Canadian, vendor, which makes a difference in terms of the shipping cost.)
Sunyata
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:47 am
Location: Singapore

Sun May 26, 2024 3:55 am

GaoShan wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 9:46 am
Sunyata wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 2:42 am
Very limited selection on the Canadian website. Prices are also noticeably higher compared to the Malaysian website where I usually order my teas from since I live across the border in Singapore.

This is the best dancong vendor outside of China that one can find. I highly recommend trying their dancong.
I was also disappointed by the lack of dancong on the Gargantuan Tea site. (BTW, I think it's an American, not a Canadian, vendor, which makes a difference in terms of the shipping cost.)
Thanks for the correction. What dancong teas have you tried from Hojo? And which ones are your personal favorites?
GaoShan
Posts: 347
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:06 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Wed May 29, 2024 12:02 pm

Sunyata wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 3:55 am
GaoShan wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 9:46 am
Sunyata wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 2:42 am
Very limited selection on the Canadian website. Prices are also noticeably higher compared to the Malaysian website where I usually order my teas from since I live across the border in Singapore.

This is the best dancong vendor outside of China that one can find. I highly recommend trying their dancong.
I was also disappointed by the lack of dancong on the Gargantuan Tea site. (BTW, I think it's an American, not a Canadian, vendor, which makes a difference in terms of the shipping cost.)
Thanks for the correction. What dancong teas have you tried from Hojo? And which ones are your personal favorites?
I actually haven't tried any teas from Hojo. I've been on the cusp of ordering twice, but was turned off both times by the high shipping fees (I think it was about US$50). He's probably unhappy with me for emailing him so many times without buying.
User avatar
Baisao
Posts: 1403
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:17 pm
Location: ATX

Wed May 29, 2024 4:32 pm

GaoShan wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 12:02 pm
Sunyata wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 3:55 am
GaoShan wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 9:46 am


I was also disappointed by the lack of dancong on the Gargantuan Tea site. (BTW, I think it's an American, not a Canadian, vendor, which makes a difference in terms of the shipping cost.)
Thanks for the correction. What dancong teas have you tried from Hojo? And which ones are your personal favorites?
I actually haven't tried any teas from Hojo. I've been on the cusp of ordering twice, but was turned off both times by the high shipping fees (I think it was about US$50). He's probably unhappy with me for emailing him so many times without buying.
$50 shipping from the other side of the Earth is not high. It’s damn near miraculous that you can get this. Try doing that as recently as the 1980.
GaoShan
Posts: 347
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:06 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Thu May 30, 2024 7:40 am

Baisao wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 4:32 pm
GaoShan wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 12:02 pm
Sunyata wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 3:55 am


Thanks for the correction. What dancong teas have you tried from Hojo? And which ones are your personal favorites?
I actually haven't tried any teas from Hojo. I've been on the cusp of ordering twice, but was turned off both times by the high shipping fees (I think it was about US$50). He's probably unhappy with me for emailing him so many times without buying.
$50 shipping from the other side of the Earth is not high. It’s damn near miraculous that you can get this. Try doing that as recently as the 1980.
That's probably true, but it's high compared to the $25 or so I usually pay. I have a huge amount of tea right now, but I hope to purchase from Hojo eventually.
Sunyata
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:47 am
Location: Singapore

Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:22 pm

Didn't expect the shipping to be that high to the US, since the shipping I pay for when I order from the main japanese store is roughly the same as from Malaysia. I dont recall it being more than $30.

Anyway, I've had many Hojo teas and most are way way better than what most vendors can offer, especially Dancong. The only type of tea which didn't impress me is his sheng puerh offerings.
GaoShan
Posts: 347
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:06 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:03 am

Sunyata wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:22 pm
Didn't expect the shipping to be that high to the US, since the shipping I pay for when I order from the main japanese store is roughly the same as from Malaysia. I dont recall it being more than $30.

Anyway, I've had many Hojo teas and most are way way better than what most vendors can offer, especially Dancong. The only type of tea which didn't impress me is his sheng puerh offerings.
That's interesting. If I'm remembering correctly, I tried to order from Hojo during and just after the pandemic when the only options were courier and EMS. What shipping method did you use? I might ask him if other shipping methods are available now. However, I just spent a small fortune on gaoshan, baozhong, and teaware, so that may have to wait a while...
Post Reply