Thunderbolt Tea (Darjeeling)

bmninada

Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:11 am

What's good for 2023? At a reasonable price?

I am looking for AROMA, AROMA, AROMA -> when after brewing I start pouring into a cup!!
bmninada

Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:10 am

Is Vendor - Thunderbolt Tea a scam?

I recently bought tea from this vendor Thunderbolt Tea. I was successfully charged and see it reflected in my bank a/c in US. However - till date

• I have received ZERO emails confirming the sale from vendor
  • I have reached out to them using their official email ID (as per their site) and never received a response. [Multiple attempts]
  • I have asked my friends in India to attempt logging into their site but they (vendor) blocked access to all Indian originated IP addresses - which is very fishy.
  • I have asked someone I know (as I grew up in Darjeeling) to check the published address (postal) but he confirmed he was not able find anyone

At the same time - I see folks here praising this vendor. I am not sure what's going on here. I'll wait 2 weeks and then I'll initiate probably a report to concerned US authorities along with stop payment if I don't receive the product.
Last edited by pedant on Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod edit: post moved
pedant
Admin

Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:32 am

my advice would be to wait, but obviously make note of when you lose the opportunity to do a chargeback on them. you paid with credit card, right? for visa, it might be 120 days? but definitely hit them with a chargeback if all else fails (including however much waiting is possible). i hope you get your tea though.

i am assuming you've read this thread and have seen how shipping can take forever (months) and how they apparently sometimes don't respond to messages.
bmninada wrote:
I have received ZERO emails confirming the sale from vendor
ok, that's a new one for me and is the only thing i'm seeing that's out of the ordinary. i have always gotten an auto-generated order confirmation email right after placing an order. did you check your spam filter?
bmninada wrote:
I have asked my friends in India to attempt logging into their site but they (vendor) blocked access to all Indian originated IP addresses - which is very fishy.
i tried to verify this by checking out their site with an indian VPN endpoint, but they block my VPN's IPs and give an error specifically about how they don't allow VPNs, so i couldn't really test it. i do think it's a bit odd that they would block indian customers, but then again maybe not really. maybe they are only a western-facing business – their prices seem pretty high, but i keep buying (mostly when they have big sales) because i like their tea. maybe they have a different website or business name for indian customers.
bmninada wrote:
I have asked someone I know (as I grew up in Darjeeling) to check the published address (postal) but he confirmed he was not able find anyone
i ordered last year and got a delivery in june. the return address that they put on the label matches the address on their website (2/2 KUTCHERY ROAD):
https://www.thunderbolttea.com/contact/

they have a phone numbed there, too... it's a long shot, but have you tried calling it? lol

what email address did you try? i've talked with them via this one before: sales@thunderbolttea.com
Victoria
Admin

Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:08 pm

Yes, patience is key when communicating with Thunderbolt @bmninada. The quality of Darjeeling though is worth the wait. As suggested in this thread, you might also try contacting them via WhatsApp Facebook Instagram. After ordering I received an email confirmation (check spam) and then the long wait began…. I think it took +-7-8 weeks to finally arrive.

While you wait, I recommend you branch out, try something new (not based on childhood memories which can be fleeting) and visit a few really special tea shops only found in NYC. You can try some new teas, chat and hey the owners might even have new Darjeeling contacts for you;

Tè Company in West Village specializing in Taiwan Ooolong. Since you enjoy black, Elena has many oxidized aromatic black teas.

Tshop 247 Elizabeth St. Small shop with quality Puerh, Yancha and some Taiwan Oolong

Puerh Brooklyn in Williamsburg. Beautiful store mostly Puerh & special events.

For additional recommendations around NYC a thread dedicated to NYC Tea Shops
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=667
bmninada

Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:40 pm

To all - thank you. In their site they have a good support ticketing system so requested there.

Nice - the URLs on good tea. Will start calling them.

I'll post here shortly some standard low cost tea I have personally found "okay" [ i.e. when I compare it's cost to its availability and quality]
Victoria
Admin

Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:21 pm

bmninada wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:40 pm
I'll post here shortly some standard low cost tea I have personally found "okay" [ i.e. when I compare it's cost to its availability and quality]
Since this thread is dedicated to a discussion of Thunderbolt tea, you might post other offerings under more general Vendor Discussion & Recommendations; black, white, oolong, puerh.. …or within other existing Darjeeling threads such as ;
Darjeeling tea drinkers - do you have preferred estates?
Where do you get your Darjeeling?
bmninada

Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:15 am

100% - that was my idea. However, I do thank you for the links to Darjis. Makes my life: easier.
Teafortea

Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:42 pm

So I did this order from them some week ago and I still have not received the shipping notification just the order confirmation email. Should I be concerned? Anyone hacve anu time frame with their orders? Thanks tea friends
Last edited by pedant on Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod edit: post moved
Andrew S

Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:16 pm

I have no experience myself, but there is already a thread on them here (see especially the second page for how long they take): viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1174&start=15

Andrew
Teafortea

Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:47 am

Yeah I saw that. I guess I'll be waiting. 😊
Victoria
Admin

Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:41 pm

Received a group Thunderbolt order in lightning fast speed via free FedEx, just took 15 days, whereas in the past it could take more than a month +++. Packaging is super efficient, a solid block completely water sealed with tape and plastic wrap. Looking forward to slowly trying 2023 FF and SF.

IMG_2195.jpeg
IMG_2195.jpeg (320.24 KiB) Viewed 1846 times
IMG_2198.jpeg
IMG_2198.jpeg (322.2 KiB) Viewed 1846 times
IMG_2201.jpeg
IMG_2201.jpeg (302.48 KiB) Viewed 1846 times
IMG_2203.jpeg
IMG_2203.jpeg (363.03 KiB) Viewed 1846 times
Teafortea

Fri Aug 25, 2023 2:15 pm

Nice!!! I did fedex too but not here yet. I’m travelling end next week, hoping it will be here soon. 🙃🙃