Mei leaf

pedant
Admin

Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:40 pm

_Soggy_ wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:42 pm
Need to keep them in the ecosystem. It is like Dave and Busters power card.
yes! :lol:
John_B wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:58 pm
Free shipping! What a novel idea, why didn't other tea vendors think of that?
well, on every other order.. if you're clever... :D
John_B

Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:08 pm

Yunnan Sourcing's US site offers free shipping for all orders over $100:

https://yunnansourcing.us/pages/welcome ... -allergens

Farmerleaf offers free shipping for all orders over $30:

https://www.farmer-leaf.com/

Hatvala offers free shipping on all orders over $70:

https://hatvala.com/shipping-returns/

Moychay offers worldwide free shipping on all orders over $130:

https://moychay.com/news/free_worldwide_delivery

The point was that this is kind of normal. Of course vendors are building that cost back into their product pricing, but per my understanding if you compare product pricing and quality between Mei Leaf and all of those vendors Mei Leaf won't match up, even without shipping expense factored in on their end.

Don't take my word for it though, vary your tea sourcing, and decide for yourself. If Mei Leaf can sell your personal favorites at reasonable pricing then what I've just said is wrong. I haven't been trying their products for years, since they re-branded (changed company name 4 years ago), so I'm only passing on an out of date impression and standard hearsay at this point, the most common opinion one runs across online.
StoneLadle

Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:33 pm

There's a lot of angst here...

Can I suggest that y'all get in touch with some western facing vendors from the east?

Like, a Hong Kong vendor for HKG tea... A Malaysian vendor for Malaysian stored LB and PE... and a Taiwanese vendor for etc...

Mainland...I don't know... They kinda suck across the board...

Like, I wouldn't buy Bordeaux from an Asian vendor...
John_B

Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:26 am

StoneLadle wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:33 pm
There's a lot of angst here...

Can I suggest that y'all get in touch with some western facing vendors from the east?

Like, a Hong Kong vendor for HKG tea...

That kind of works, but it's not as if being located in "the West" means a source isn't good, or the opposite would hold in those other locations. One of the best sources for sheng I'm aware of is based in Switzerland. Buying sheng from Yunnan vendors kind of also makes sense, as it would to buy Wuyi Yancha from a vendor in Wuyishan.

It's obvious enough but no tea is produced in Hong Kong, so this only relates to a storage theme. People buying aged sheng probably would naturally explore varying forms of sourcing, once their preference develops far enough, as long as their budget supports that. A limited budget might even work as a driver, but exploring truly local sourcing can be tricky.
StoneLadle

Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:45 am

High roast TieGuanYin and Shuixian are produced in Hong Kong... Just a fine point...

The Sheng debate I will stay out of because it is incomprehensible to me to be drinking that stuff without any aging whatsoever, with very very very few exceptions, and even then I'd just called it green tea as opposed to PE...

From this vantage point, there really aren't many quality online vendors apart from the usual suspects and for me, in order to stay on topic, would stay far far from people who have a habit of changing their company names and branding...
Balthazar

Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:18 am

@John_B: Good point.

Personally, I buy from as close to the origin as possible unless one of two conditions hold true: 1) the storage at the place of origin does not conform to my tastes and I don't have an optimal condition for long-term aging at home (e.g. puer); 2) the price is actually better if buying from another market (e.g. Anhua heichas, which I usually get from Malaysia because of a lower market price than in Mainland China, where the price is controlled).