Online tea sale to support The Steeping Room

Post Reply
User avatar
Baisao
Posts: 626
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:17 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:25 pm

All, the coronavirus epidemic has been very hard on small businesses and forced many to lay off their staff.

The Steeping Room in Austin, Texas has always had good teas at reasonable prices. They are deeply discounting their teas sold online to try to stay afloat. Austin is under a "stay at home order" so they cannot even do delivery or curbside.

Though you may not be familiar with them they also have an incredible menu filled with impeccably prepared, healthy, delicious foods that have made them a fun dining experience for locals. Before the epidemic, they were filled to capacity every weekend and it was best to get reservations. They had weekly tea classes on every aspect of tea. Unlike a lot of tea sellers, the owners actually know a lot about teas.

They are like family to me and I hate to see their 11 year dream end.

Please help support The Steeping Room.

https://www.thesteepingroom.com/collect ... r-tea-shop

.
.
Attachments
download.jpg
download.jpg (159.89 KiB) Viewed 374 times
User avatar
Victoria
Admin
Posts: 1951
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:33 pm
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Contact:

Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:54 pm

Great cause @Baisao. Very very difficult time for brick and mortar shops. We all need to do our best to support these kind of specialty vendors who make quality teas available to us all.
DailyTX
Posts: 252
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:43 pm
Location: Northern California

Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:03 pm

Victoria wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:54 pm
Great cause Baisao. Very very difficult time for brick and mortar shops. We all need to do our best to support these kind of specialty vendors who make quality teas available to us all.
+1 on what @Victoria said

Any recommendations on teas you have tried, @Baisao?
User avatar
Baisao
Posts: 626
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:17 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:56 pm

DailyTX wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:03 pm
Victoria wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:54 pm
Great cause Baisao. Very very difficult time for brick and mortar shops. We all need to do our best to support these kind of specialty vendors who make quality teas available to us all.
+1 on what Victoria said

Any recommendations on teas you have tried, Baisao?
Old Man’s Eye Brows and the aged white teas are recommended.

The sencha selection is solid, not Thés du Japon level though they have carried his teas, but very nice.

I’ve bought my weight in Organic Sencha because it is near impossible to mess up, which makes it great for work and distracted significant others.

I am fond of the Bai Ji Guan yancha.

Wenshan Baozhong has been good in the past and has a spice finish.

The Duck Shit they carry *may* be from the mother tree. I know the owners have been to the farm where clones from the mother tree is grown, per Winnie Yu (deceased).

The Wild Da Xue Shan Black from Yunnan is beautiful and recommended.

2017 Wuliang Wild Puerh is supposed to be good (I can’t drink young sheng)

The 2005 Ming Yuan Hao 'Nu Er' Raw Puerh needs another 10 years but gives a good jumpstart on aging. It is very stimulating.

The aged Menghai shou is recommended

For the budget minded, the Grand Leaf Pueh is very good for a shou: barnyard but no strange anchovy notes. A solid affordable shou.

They have two types of Liu Bao. This has been difficult to find at times. I’ve gone several years at a time before finding some stateside. I haven’t tried theirs but I imagine they are good.

I don’t drink assams or tisanes so I can’t speak to those.

The owners sample a lot of teas to make their selections. This year they sampled over two dozen each of yanchas and senchas to find what they felt was good enough to carry.

But for the discounts it’s hard to go wrong on just about anything.
DailyTX
Posts: 252
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:43 pm
Location: Northern California

Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:18 pm

Baisao wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:56 pm
DailyTX wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:03 pm
Victoria wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:54 pm
Great cause Baisao. Very very difficult time for brick and mortar shops. We all need to do our best to support these kind of specialty vendors who make quality teas available to us all.
+1 on what Victoria said

Any recommendations on teas you have tried, Baisao?
Old Man’s Eye Brows and the aged white teas are recommended.

The sencha selection is solid, not Thés du Japon level though they have carried his teas, but very nice.

I’ve bought my weight in Organic Sencha because it is near impossible to mess up, which makes it great for work and distracted significant others.

I am fond of the Bai Ji Guan yancha.

Wenshan Baozhong has been good in the past and has a spice finish.

The Duck Shit they carry *may* be from the mother tree. I know the owners have been to the farm where clones from the mother tree is grown, per Winnie Yu (deceased).

The Wild Da Xue Shan Black from Yunnan is beautiful and recommended.

2017 Wuliang Wild Puerh is supposed to be good (I can’t drink young sheng)

The 2005 Ming Yuan Hao 'Nu Er' Raw Puerh needs another 10 years but gives a good jumpstart on aging. It is very stimulating.

The aged Menghai shou is recommended

For the budget minded, the Grand Leaf Pueh is very good for a shou: barnyard but no strange anchovy notes. A solid affordable shou.

They have two types of Liu Bao. This has been difficult to find at times. I’ve gone several years at a time before finding some stateside. I haven’t tried theirs but I imagine they are good.

I don’t drink assams or tisanes so I can’t speak to those.

The owners sample a lot of teas to make their selections. This year they sampled over two dozen each of yanchas and senchas to find what they felt was good enough to carry.

But for the discounts it’s hard to go wrong on just about anything.
@Baisao
Thanks for the recommendations
User avatar
Baisao
Posts: 626
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:17 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:36 pm

@DailyTX, my pleasure. I’m pretty sure you’ll enjoy whatever you get. Thanks for supporting them.

They are just the kind of tea sellers we need in the world. The believe that a high tide raises all boats. They’ve welcomed and encouraged a lot of other tea businesses, never seeing them as competition but as friends on the same path.
DailyTX
Posts: 252
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:43 pm
Location: Northern California

Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:39 pm

Baisao wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:36 pm
DailyTX, my pleasure. I’m pretty sure you’ll enjoy whatever you get. Thanks for supporting them.

They are just the kind of tea sellers we need in the world. The believe that a high tide raises all boats. They’ve welcomed and encouraged a lot of other tea businesses, never seeing them as competition but as friends on the same path.
I am a big fan of tea shops in the United States! Just got a couple samples (4 oz is probably a big sample per tea lol), and a pu erh cake from them ;)
User avatar
pantry
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:34 am
Location: California

Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:20 am

Thanks for the recommendation. Will check them out!
karma
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:14 pm

Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:17 pm

Every time my parents visit we go there for brunch and gungfu. Would truly hurt to see them close. Thanks for bringing this to my attention! Will certainly order.
User avatar
Baisao
Posts: 626
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:17 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:50 pm

karma wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:17 pm
Every time my parents visit we go there for brunch and gungfu. Would truly hurt to see them close. Thanks for bringing this to my attention! Will certainly order.
It would! I am on edge, hoping they can pull through.

I am so glad you’ve been able to go there. I love their food and their service is top notch. The owners are two of the sweetest and most generous people I know. Thank you for supporting them.
karma
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:14 pm

Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:39 pm

I'm really good friends with the owners of the Cultured Cup in Dallas and acquainted with the owner of Zhi Tea in Austin. All of them having nothing but nice things to say. :)
User avatar
Baisao
Posts: 626
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:17 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:09 pm

I got my order and I can’t wait to try ‘em: two aged whites, aged pu, Old Man’s Eyebrows, and Da Xue black. 🎁
Sleeping
New user
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:58 pm
Location: Bay Area, California

Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:05 pm

I just ordered a few 2 oz samples. Thanks for the recommendation!
Post Reply