Rooibos Source?

Tisanes prepared from plants not belonging to the Camellia genus
joelbct

Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:48 pm

Can anyone recommend a high-quality rooibos source?

I wonder if there are any rooibos or tisane vendors anything akin to the needle-in-haystack tea vendors we use...
MmBuddha

Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:36 am

Interesting question. I’ve always liked rooibos, and found it a great evening drink.

I’ve only tried one premium, loose leaf roobios, but was surprised by how much better it was in all aspects. If ordering some is viable I’d recommend trying it.

https://www.cantonteaco.com/rooibos-org ... l-tea.html

I’m not sure I’d vouch for Canton Teas in general, but their teasanes look pretty good, and their Rooibos is the best I’ve tried. It produces a deep, mellow brew, much deeper and more comforting than the Rooibos I’m used to, and I noticed a pronounced ‘yellow ring’ around the surface like Hojo describes with his Guang Dong black tea. I’m doubtful that rooibos contains theaflavin so no idea what causes it, but I haven’t seen it with other rooibos, and this tea has a noticeable calming effect on me.
joelbct

Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:58 pm

MmBuddha wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:36 am
Interesting question. I’ve always liked rooibos, and found it a great evening drink.

I’ve only tried one premium, loose leaf roobios, but was surprised by how much better it was in all aspects. If ordering some is viable I’d recommend trying it.

https://www.cantonteaco.com/rooibos-org ... l-tea.html

I’m not sure I’d vouch for Canton Teas in general, but their teasanes look pretty good, and their Rooibos is the best I’ve tried. It produces a deep, mellow brew, much deeper and more comforting than the Rooibos I’m used to, and I noticed a pronounced ‘yellow ring’ around the surface like Hojo describes with his Guang Dong black tea. I’m doubtful that rooibos contains theaflavin so no idea what causes it, but I haven’t seen it with other rooibos, and this tea has a noticeable calming effect on me.
Thank you for this. Rooibos is the one tisane I have at times consumed semi-regularly, though not in a while. It has a certain depth.

I remember now that the restaurant Blue Hill at Stone Barns had high quality tisane sources. In Pursuit of Tea was one. Pretty sure this is/was the excellent Lemon Verbena they use.
Janice

Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:59 am

Adagio may be unpopular among the Teachat ex-pats but I’ve always enjoyed their rooibos. I tend to enjoy the delicately flavored ones so I like the caramel and vanilla. They’re good to satisfy a sweet tooth in the evening. I’ve tried samples of some others and found the flavors overpowering and artificial so it’s a mixed bag.