A good morning herbal tea

Tisanes prepared from plants not belonging to the Camellia genus
Webley

Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:26 pm

Anyone have a favorite morning tisane? I am looking for something that would get the day going without too many flowery notes. I’m restricted to something completely caffeine free as I have a sensitivity. Real bummer because I’ve just discovered it and have a pretty large tea inventory of the regular camellia sinensis
Maybe someone could give me some all day suggestions too. Thanks.
cerbu

Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:20 am

try buckwheat, also you could try to roast and age what you have
belewfripp

Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:34 am

The only herbal teas I ever drunk were all store-bought stuff (Pukka brand mostly - their Lemon, Ginger and Manuka honey is pretty nice). Generally, I tended to like things with lemon or spice in the AM, unsure where your tastes may lie (and I know little about higher-quality, non-teabag herbal teas).

I don't know how bad your caffeine sensitivity is (in terms of how much caffeine sets it off), but roasted Japanese teas are often very low in caffeine. I again am not too knowledgeable here, but hojicha or kyobancha might be low enough to be palatable. A quick Google search turns up a figure of 7.7 mg of caffeine in 250 ml of hojicha, though again unsure of the accuracy as that is just one figure.
mbanu

Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:35 pm

Boiled rooibos with milk is popular in some places. This will depend on your experiences, though; some people find hot milk makes them sleepy, while with others it just warms them up.

A masala chai spice mix without the tea added might also work, if you want something with some spice.
Webley

Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:49 pm

I’ve roasted some barley to try in the morning with some lemongrass. It was pleasing. I’ve also ordered some buckwheat tea to join the green rooibos I have. That should suit me for a while
I’m hoping I can roast some of the caffeinated teas that I still have to try and reduce some of it. In the meantime, I’m enjoying trying the herbals and tisanes. Thanks for your suggestions.
Victoria
Admin

Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:57 pm

I was just going to ask you @Webley how many herbal teas have you tried, and which did you enjoy and which not? In your previous thread Brewing Herbal Tea Gong Fu Style quite a few herbs were recommended. I might like Pau d’Arco a bark found in Amazonas, but it is very strong and bitter. It really depends on your personal preferences.