Brewing Herbal Tea Gong Fu Style

Tisanes prepared from plants not belonging to the Camellia genus
Webley

Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:26 am

I seem to have recently developed a caffeine sensitivity to teas. I’m in the process of determining which teas in particular I’m more sensitive to. I brew mainly gong fu style and have tried various caffeine reducing techniques with little or no success.
My question is, since I have a lot of teaware that I want to continue to use in brewing, if I go to tisanes can they be brewed gong fu style. I’ve been brewing green rooibos sporadically and seem to like it. It’s not a substitute for my usual tea collection, but I want to continue to brew using my teaware.
Can someone please recommend some herbals or other tisanes that can be similar to the usual group of teas. I hope that’s not a contradiction of terms. I don’t care for those fruity or minty ones. Thanks.
debunix

Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:15 am

I brew up herbal teas from time to time near bedtime, or when I just want a change. If you don't want someone else's fruity or minty blend, I suggest getting a collection of high-quality fresh whole spices and herbs, keeping some fresh ginger and lemon on hand, and experimenting to mix and match your moods.

I'm an obsessive cook, and I have a large herb and spice collection anyway, and I dedicate a corner cabinet shelf to herbs for teas.

Things like:

Hibiscus flowers
Gamro
ginger (fresh and dried but not so much ground)
galangal (ditto)
cardamom
chamomile
lavender
Rosemary
Saffron
Mace
Cinnamon
Holy Basil (Tulsi)
Sage
Rosehips
citrus zest
fresh citrus
(fresh citrus blooms are a bonus at some times of year from the garden)
lemon balm
rooibos
lemon myrtle (really hard to find strong 'fresh' dried leaves)
fennel
anise
pineapple sage (in my garden)
unroasted chicory root (sweet)
licorice root
sarsaparilla root
birch bark

I am cautious to not use these in unglazed vessels or cups where the flavor may carry over to other infusions; or in cups with the very porous 'snowflake' glazes. But fully glazed or glass pots & gaiwans, sure.
Victoria
Admin

Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:28 pm

I also keep a lot of herbs and spices to use in the evening when I don’t want the caffeine or alcohol. I boil those in a large Chinese ceramic herb cooker and just keep adding herbs and water every few days until it’s time to start again. Right now I’m enjoying a blend of;

Pepper corns
Dandelion
Burdock
Cardamom seed
Pao d’Arco
Cinnamon bark
Ginger root
Clove
Fennel seeds
Licorice root
Parsley root
Orange and Lemon peel

If you enjoy bitter flavors you can gongfu Dandelion leaf or Pao d’Arco using boiling water, although I think steeping them longer in a preheated teapot would be best, or just boiling the leaves.
wave_code

Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:54 pm

I haven't had any for a while... should get some... but I used to drink snow chrysanthemum in the evening both for lack of caffeine and I did find it relaxing. Good ones can certainly go for a few infusions and the flavor can vary depending on how long/much you brew, so probably some room to mess around there and see if you find it interesting.

Also I don't know if your sensitivity extends into even roasted/stem teas, but I find brewing sannenbancha, kyobancha, or roast kukicha different ways can yield different results- boiling, short steeps, so on.

I could see having some different things around like bamboo leaves, maybe getting some good aged chenpi would be worthwhile. I think some people drink jiaogulan in a multi-steep way, but I haven't tried it - might be good to be careful with it first go around to make sure it agrees with you.
.m.

Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:51 pm

I really liked the Wild Jujube Leaf (Gan Zao Ye) tea Yunnan Sourcing offers (I wish i had more of it) -- you can actually gongfu it in a gaiwan pretty much like a green tea. Otherwise Roasted Tartary Buckwheat is also one of my favorites, and so is locally foraged Elderberry Flower, but these prefer longer steeping in the gaiwan. Sometimes i simply drink "plain" hot water -- boiled in a ceramic kettle and served in a chawan.
Webley

Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:23 pm

I really like the stem teas. They are good for an afternoon treat and easy on the caffeine sensitivity.
I brewed some milk oolong this morning gong fu style. I did 2 pre rinses and noticed diminished flavor along with a little caffeine reduction. Not sure I like the trade off though!! :x